Value of: Draisaitl's upcoming contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Too lazy to sift through 9 pages, apologies if it has been brought up:

What if LD declines to sign an offer sheet for the chance to player alongside perhaps the best player in NHL history, or close to it, for his career?

That's exactly my point.
There is no way he wants to play anywhere else. Oilers must know this and therefore have leverage

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's exactly my point.
There is no way he wants to play anywhere else. Oilers must know this and therefore have leverage

Yea, because there has never been a player who didn't want to play in Edmonton . . .

Playing with McDavid is absolutely a positive for most guys. But like we've seen in Pittsburgh, not everyone is willing to take a discount to play with great players. Pittsburgh had tons of opportunities to land big free agents to play alongside Crosby and time and again they declined for various reasons.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Does Montreal even have the cap space for Draisaitl at 9.8M?

Not to mention, what would make you think the Oilers wouldn't match that?

We have 9.1 million in cap space currently, I believe you're allowed to go 10-15% over before the season actually starts. But it wouldn't be that hard to trade a guy like Mitchell, Davidson, or Montoya for a late round pick to give us nearly 11 million in cap space.

And I'm not sure if the Oilers would match it or not, but it's probably a contract they would hate to see Drai sign. You have to pay him nearly 10 million a year AND he becomes a UFA at 26.

Looking at the Oilers current cap space though, you're right they would almost certainly match that deal. But looking further down the road, I don't think they can afford to keep both Drai and McDavid at a combined 22.3 million. In 2018-19 they'd only have 13 million in cap space with 11 roster spots to fill. Also McDavid and Strome will need new contracts then, so more like 5-7 million to sign 9 players. Obviously their cap situation could change between here and now, but it's certainly less than ideal. Not enough to lose Drai for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... but possibly enough to trade him if he did sign that offersheet

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We have 9.1 million in cap space currently, I believe you're allowed to go 10-15% over before the season actually starts. But it wouldn't be that hard to trade a guy like Mitchell, Davidson, or Montoya for a late round pick to give us nearly 11 million in cap space.

And I'm not sure if the Oilers would match it or not, but it's probably a contract they would hate to see Drai sign. You have to pay him nearly 10 million a year AND he becomes a UFA at 26.

Looking at the Oilers current cap space though, you're right they would almost certainly match that deal. But looking further down the road, I don't think they can afford to keep both Drai and McDavid at a combined 22.3 million. In 2018-19 they'd only have 13 million in cap space with 11 roster spots to fill. Also McDavid and Strome will need new contracts then, so more like 5-7 million to sign 9 players. Obviously their cap situation could change between here and now, but it's certainly less than ideal. Not enough to lose Drai for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... but possibly enough to trade him if he did sign that offersheet

I think the Oilers match anything offered this season and worry about the rest later. It would be easy enough to find cheaper options to RNH or Sekera down the road than lose Drai to what an offer sheet would bring back.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Someone in the NW(San Jose/Vancouver) should offer a 2 year $15m bridge but structure it like:

year one - $5m
year two - $10m

Does Edmonton take the 3 picks or do they match and have to qualify him at $10m in 2 years.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Someone in the NW(San Jose/Vancouver) should offer a 2 year $15m bridge but structure it like:

year one - $5m
year two - $10m

Does Edmonton take the 3 picks or do they match and have to qualify him at $10m in 2 years.

Why would Draisaitl sign a bridge deal though?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Because he'll make $15m and in two years be qualified at $10m or be a UFA

I guess the risk is he gets injured or falls off drastically and is unable to get a big UFA payday (say he struggles and puts up 40-50 points in 2 seasons with his new team, they don't qualify him).

He could be risking leaving like 20+ million dollars.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I guess the risk is he gets injured or falls off drastically and is unable to get a big UFA payday (say he struggles and puts up 40-50 points in 2 seasons with his new team, they don't qualify him).

He could be risking leaving like 20+ million dollars.

Pretty much this. Signing a two year offersheet could be career suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad