Proposal: Draisaitl for a cheaper 1 C with a + maybe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow, you have actually no idea about RNH, do you?

If you want to talk about 1OA busts you'd have to talk about Yakupov. RNH is about as far away from that kind of player as you can get.

The only reason to trade Nuge is for some cap relief after McDavid's contract kicks in. He provides a lot of options for the coach and can center the 2nd line if Draisaitl is moved to McDavid's wing. Otherwise RNH plays 3C and PK. The Oilers are really happy with RNH. He does everything they ask of him. They'd rather keep him if possible.

The only drawback is that $6 million contract. Can't blame the player for signing it though. MacT paid for potential, not performance.

That's the "only" drawback? Not sure the rest of the league agrees.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would the Oilers trade (arguably) their best playoff performer?

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well, my takeaway from the 1000 pages of this thread is that in theory Draisaitl for a cheaper 1C might make sense, but in reality there's no one remotely available that would come close to satisfying Oilers fans needs.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
As a Rangers fan, cap implications aside, I would give up a King's ransom for Draisaitl. Hayes + Miller + DeAngelo, something along those lines. It doesn't matter, because Edmonton says no regardless.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
As a Rangers fan, cap implications aside, I would give up a King's ransom for Draisaitl. Hayes + Miller + DeAngelo, something along those lines. It doesn't matter, because Edmonton says no regardless.

That's the thing - and no slight against any potential trade partners - but Draisaitl is easily worth more to Edmonton currently than any resonable trade package. Teams aren't realistically giving up on "right now" to land Draisaitl by trading away their top centre or whomever - and any teams that aren't concerned about right now likely can't offer the type of "win now" package the Oilers need to part with Neon Leon.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Wow, you have actually no idea about RNH, do you?

If you want to talk about 1OA busts you'd have to talk about Yakupov. RNH is about as far away from that kind of player as you can get.

The only reason to trade Nuge is for some cap relief after McDavid's contract kicks in. He provides a lot of options for the coach and can center the 2nd line if Draisaitl is moved to McDavid's wing. Otherwise RNH plays 3C and PK. The Oilers are really happy with RNH. He does everything they ask of him. They'd rather keep him if possible.

The only drawback is that $6 million contract. Can't blame the player for signing it though. MacT paid for potential, not performance.

RNH got a lot of hype.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
and your point being?

Actually it doesn't matter. You won't convince many people that he is a bust.

Has he underachieved the last few years? Yes

But I think he will be a perennial 55 point 2nd line Center. Sorry thats not bust territory.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, first overall, a lot of hype, last year 43 points, last time he had over 50 points was 2014-2015.

Brown had 36 points last year as a winger... And he's 32..

A bit of an odd example for sure, but let's not act like RNH lived up to his hype. He's a good player. He had a lot of potential and didn't really pan out to it. I mean you can say he's not a bust, but to me... He sorta is.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, first overall, a lot of hype, last year 43 points, last time he had over 50 points was 2014-2015.

A bit of an odd example for sure, but let's not act like RNH lived up to his hype. He's a good player. He had a lot of potential and didn't really pan out to it. I mean you can say he's not a bust, but to me... He sorta is.

I can't say if anyone is refuted that but if you compare RNH to his draft year, he is 2nd in point totals and 3rd in games played so I don't see that as bust territory. He isn't the player that some expected him to be but he isn't in danger of losing his job either.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

95% of players don't reach their ceiling . Does that mean they are busts ? Nope maybe scouts are wrong in their scouting reports . Then there fans they read a report from a scout and only see the good and then double or triple their projection of the player at the NHL level rather then understand a prospects best traits will likely be average at best in the NHL without improvement

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I can't say if anyone is refuted that but if you compare RNH to his draft year, he is 2nd in point totals and 3rd in games played so I don't see that as bust territory. He isn't the player that some expected him to be but he isn't in danger of losing his job either.

A lot of players from that year fell flat. But no one had the hype that RNH had which is why he stands out to me more than Landeskog for example.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

RNH is not a bust but damn he has disappointed a lot of people since his spectacular rookie season. He looked better than Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene did as rookies. He didn't develop properly after that year, he focused too much on becoming a 2-way player and never grew his offensive game which he should have kept doing. Now he's just a tweener who's not good enough to be a 1C but not good enough defensively to be a dependable 2C or 3C guy. Very sad to see. :(

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

With all due respect, that's not a king's ransom. A king's ransom would be Duchene + Rantanen + Johnson or Miller + Kreider + McDonagh (which wouldn't happen, BTW).

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

As an Oil fan, I'd pass, but if you made it Miller + Zibanejad I'd say yes. Not sure the Rangers would though.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
We would...

I don't think most Oiler fans would. I see the value in 2 good players in Miller and Zibanejad, both young, both still probably have yet to of hit their peak, but Leon is younger and more talented. I'm tired of Edmonton making the deals where they give up the best player and get back lesser pieces in a trade. I don't think the value is that far off, but I'd rather keep the 21 year old, who just finished top 10 in scoring and dominated in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad