Proposal: Draisaitl for a cheaper 1 C with a + maybe

deadpenguin

Mar 27, 2017
Not so sure. Kuznetsov is terrific but so is Draisaitl. Carlson is a UFA at season's end and the Caps may not be able to resign him, in which case recouping some assets for him would be the right move.

Ah, I did not realize Carlson will be a UFA. But still, Kuz is easily on the same level as Drai but difference is it looks like Drai is realizing his full potential at winger. So we lose him, one of our top dmen, and do what for the 2C? Even if Drai filled that 2C role he really wouldn't be much better than Kuznetsov there if at all so we're just swapping them out and losing Carlson in the process

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So am I supposed to ignore that Pastrnak played 7 less games than Draisaitl last season? Are we now supposed to ignore the development of players and what they may project to be? For example, should I look at Mark Scheifele's first two seasons (34pts, 49 points) and say he is not a superior player to so and so even though he broke out last season and became/is becoming one of the league's best centermen? Is Seguin not a great player because of his playoff points?

Draisaitl had an amazing playoffs, and Edmonton was a better team than the Bruins last season. I didn't deny any of that. Nor did I deny that Draisaitl didn't have more value than Pastrnak. If you read my post, I even said Draisaitl had the edge in value because of his versatility of playing center and wing. Nor did I say there wouldn't have to be some sort of add to Pastrnak to make value match.

What team wouldn't want a player like Draisaitl? What you fail to understand are other teams' needs and that a scoresheet doesn't tell the whole story.

The Bruins have Bergeron and Krejci at center. Pastrnak is their #1 RW. The Bruins will have McAvoy and Carlo make up both of their top 4 RD.

Would getting Draisaitl be great for the Bruins? Absolutely. At the cost for Pastrnak + McAvoy/Carlo? No, and I'll explain.

Pastrnak is a #1 RW and was in the top 5 RW last season in scoring. After Pastrnak, the Bruins are looking at Backes, who is okay but not a driving force on offense, and prospects to fill on the right side. On defense, the Bruins will have McAvoy and Carlo makeup their top 4 on the right side going into next season. As good as Draisaitl is, for a team with Bergeron and Krejci as their top 6 centers, it is not worth creating more holes to improve an area that is not needed. The Bruins need Pastrnak and McAvoy/Carlo more than they need to improve at center. Even if Draisaitl would be brought in to be a RW and replace Pastrnak, the cost of losing a potential first-pairing replacement for Chara in McAvoy or shutdown cost-controlled defenseman in Carlo is too costly for a Bruins team also in need of defense. Hypothetically speaking, the closest example, which may not be a very good one, I can think of is Edmonton offering Draisaitl + Klefbom for someone like Scheifele or Backstrom. Does Edmonton do it? Hell no because as good as a Scheifele or Backstrom is, they lose a very important part of their defense in Klefbom for only a slight improvement at center.

On projections and value, I never said McAvoy or Carlo have 1st-pairing value. You are putting words in my mouth.

Do you think that prospect/player projection is not taken into account at all in trades or in how a team values its players? Nico Hischier was drafted 1st overall this draft and projects to be a #1C. You don't think New Jersey would covet him as one if a team asked New Jersey what the cost would be to trade for him? You think New Jersey would be like, "well you know...he was drafted in the 1st round so a 1st rounder will do"? The answer to that is no. The same goes for McAvoy and Carlo. What they project to be for the Bruins means a lot to them value-wise especially given the holes they have and will have on defense once Chara retires. Sergachev was just traded for Drouin, and that trade happened without Sergachev playing a single game in the NHL. McAvoy and Carlo don't have "top-pairing" value like you insist I was saying, but they do have value around the league especially to the Bruins.

I think you should spend less time getting your knickers in a twist, praising stat lines, and putting words into other peoples mouths.

Pastrnak is not a comparable to Draisaitl.
Drai is a big body, centre, who has great hands, passes better than McDavid, can hit like a freight train, and is playoff tested. No way I take Pastrnak even up just because the stat sheet is comparable.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Not so sure. Kuznetsov is terrific but so is Draisaitl. Carlson is a UFA at season's end and the Caps may not be able to resign him, in which case recouping some assets for him would be the right move.

a Russian can't be the primary piece in a deal for Draisaitl unless it's Tarasenko

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
a Russian can't be the primary piece in a deal for Draisaitl unless it's Tarasenko

Heh, and we know that would never happen. Not only because the Blues won't deal Tarasenko, but can you imagine Edmonton facing Draisiaitl on a St. Louis team for the next 10 years? Pass on that.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Fair enough. Didn't realize he had played a whole season. For some reason I thought he was in the A for much of the year.

Still though, the main piece in any Draisaitl trade can't be someone 10 years older than him. Also, krejci makes over $7M for 4 more years. Thats a lot of coin for a guy who is over 30.

IF Drai was actually OTB and Krejci was a few years younger, you might be on to something.

How far off of a 7 mill player for you think krejci will be for the next four years? Is it bad enough to want to pay 8+ mill for drai and not get carlo to solidify the top 4 for a long time for edm?

60+ pts, can take a large pk role with d zone starts and has important experience without being too old.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
How far off of a 7 mill player for you think krejci will be for the next four years? Is it bad enough to want to pay 8+ mill for drai and not get carlo to solidify the top 4 for a long time for edm?

60+ pts, can take a large pk role with d zone starts and has important experience without being too old.

it doesn't matter. There are other team that will outbid Boston who have younger talent. Krejci would be a non starter

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Krejci is too old to be involved for a 22 yr old stud centre man with size. For the person that said his passing is better than McD not McD holds a slight edge

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pastrnak is not a comparable to Draisaitl.
Drai is a big body, centre, who has great hands, passes better than McDavid, can hit like a freight train, and is playoff tested. No way I take Pastrnak even up just because the stat sheet is comparable.

Drai has great potential but feels like the hype should calm down a bit.
He hasn't even proven to be a #1C yet.

Pasta scored 5 more goals in 7 less games without McDavid, scored points at a similar rate. He's nothing to laugh at.

Still though Edmonton is not trading him and they should run with McDavid/Drai as their top6 C's for the next 10+ years.

Last edited:

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Krejci is too old to be involved for a 22 yr old stud centre man with size. For the person that said his passing is better than McD not McD holds a slight edge

You know what?

You're right, Chia has never traded a young promising center/winger for an older two way player and prospects....

Honestly is drai better than seguin? Is Krejci and Carlo better than loui, smith, morrow, and fraser for seguin, peverley and button?

The bruins management of received assets make the seguin trade look like a loss but the value was close. Chia still likes the 'safe' players. hall for larsson, lucic signing, etc. He like his style, and DK certainly is that.

2c/potential 1c for a center who player 1b to bergy but TOI overlaps and depends a top 4 mobile, giant d man in carlo.

For the next 2 years carlo + DK will cost the same as Drai is looking for.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

IF Draisaitl absolutely had to be traded and that was the best offer out there I guess I would learn to be ok with it. But neither of those apply.

He isn't going anywhere but if he was, it would be for a player younger than Krecji who makes less money. The only reason to trade him would be money. So getting a player back who makes $7.25M doesn't make any sense. Why not just sign him for 8*8 and you get him for 4 years longer than krecji for his entire prime. Not a player who's prime is likely over or over soon.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
You know what?

You're right, Chia has never traded a young promising center/winger for an older two way player and prospects....

Honestly is drai better than seguin? Is Krejci and Carlo better than loui, smith, morrow, and fraser for seguin, peverley and button?

The bruins management of received assets make the seguin trade look like a loss but the value was close. Chia still likes the 'safe' players. hall for larsson, lucic signing, etc. He like his style, and DK certainly is that.

2c/potential 1c for a center who player 1b to bergy but TOI overlaps and depends a top 4 mobile, giant d man in carlo.

For the next 2 years carlo + DK will cost the same as Drai is looking for.

Wait so because a GM made a really bad deal and got roasted for it, means he will be happy to do it again?

I would say its less likely a Seguin-like trade happens with Draisaitl because of how awful the Seguin trade worked out. Not more likely.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

I agree McDavid is the better passer all around. However there is no one better than Draisaitl at slowing the play down on the rush, entering the zone, then finding the trailer just as everyone skates to the net to create traffic.

It always looks like he runs out of passing lanes and then boom! Tape to tape to a dman or trailing forward with a clear lane to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad