TV: Dragon Ball Super (Japanese Sub)

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Had to create a new thread as the original thread got destroyed in the site move.

The Dub version @LarKing created still exists though.

The two part special featuring Goku vs Jiren just aired tonight. The only reaction I can summon is...

dk6dcKT.jpg

While Super has been getting progressively better through its run, the most recent two episodes are easily some of the best Dragon Ball that's been produced in the series' history.

Top notch animation and dramatic, intense non-stop action -- it doesn't get much better than this when it comes to battle choreography. Great direction, pacing and the music use was on point too. The series is really hitting its stride and by the time it's all said and done, Super looks to be well on its way to surpassing both Z and the original in terms of quality.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Episode 111 is Hit vs Jiren which promises to be another solid episode.

As an aside, I was originally leery of adding Frieza to the Tournament of Power, but it's turning out to be a stroke of genius. From a narrative and characterization perspective, he's added something that none of the other characters are capable of. The next episode preview hints at a call back of a scene from Z too.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Best hour special of anything ever. Omfg.
Yes! Another Dragon Ball fan! The thread lives... lol.

Watched it 4 or 5 times since it aired and it still gets me hyped up. Damn it, we need specials every couple of months if this is what they can pump out. Hit vs Jiren looks really promising too though... looking forward to that episode and the eventual rematch between Goku and Jiren.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I've watched it 4-5 times myself! It's really great the artwork, animation, everything about the special is just so quality. I love Dragonball bro. I'm 23 years old but I have Goku posters everywhere

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've watched it 4-5 times myself! It's really great the artwork, animation, everything about the special is just so quality. I love Dragonball bro. I'm 23 years old but I have Goku posters everywhere

This reminds me... :laugh:

I've been purchasing some of the collectible figures and my wife found one of the receipts a couple weeks ago. I'm still hearing it from her about how much I spent and what a kid I am. Gotta be more careful in the future!

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
That's awesome. I have some of the pop collectibles. Goku, Frieza, Piccolo.

Also, BRO I KNOWWWW. I'm not surprised by Hit he's very intelligent and he's always improving. He improves faster than Saiyans do.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's awesome. I have some of the pop collectibles. Goku, Frieza, Piccolo.

Also, BRO I KNOWWWW. I'm not surprised by Hit he's very intelligent and he's always improving. He improves faster than Saiyans do.
Yeah, his time skip is one of the neatest things Super has introduced when it comes to a fighting style IMO. I got spoiled about the fight between him and Jiren tonight so I'm a little disappointed.

After the tournament concludes I hope they combine all the universes or at least keep around most of the characters from universes 6 and 11. It'd be a waste if they didn't.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Episode 111 is Hit vs Jiren which promises to be another solid episode.

As an aside, I was originally leery of adding Frieza to the Tournament of Power, but it's turning out to be a stroke of genius. From a narrative and characterization perspective, he's added something that none of the other characters are capable of. The next episode preview hints at a call back of a scene from Z too.

Calling it now, Frieza will give Goku some energy like Goku did on Namek.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Calling it now, Frieza will give Goku some energy like Goku did on Namek.

First he lends Goku energy for the Spirit Bomb and now potentially this. Not sure if I can get used to Frieza being a good guy... :laugh:

Curious to see what his end game is. After Beerus mentioned Ultra Instinct, seemed like he was definitely formulating a plan to destroy the Gods.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The fight between Jiren and Hit should be absolutely awesome. Don't expect Hit to go out easily. I just can't wait for Goku to get back into action.
Time for Jiren to take some damage :nod:

The next few episodes after Jiren vs Hit seem to focus on Vegeta, Cabba and Frieza as well as Caulifla, Kale and Goku. Can't say I really care for any of the Universe 6 Saiyans besides Caulifla at the moment but still looking forward to them. Imagine we're going to see Kale's berserk transformation again.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Time for Jiren to take some damage :nod:

The next few episodes after Jiren vs Hit seem to focus on Vegeta, Cabba and Frieza as well as Caulifla, Kale and Goku. Can't say I really care for any of the Universe 6 Saiyans besides Caulifla at the moment but still looking forward to them. Imagine we're going to see Kale's berserk transformation again.
I think you'll warm up The universe 6 Saiyans if they get some more character development. I like Cabba. Kind of like Trunks.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wait, the series is still going?

It lost me around the time Majin Buu and the mixed saiyans came about. I didn't think they could seriously keep the series going with how crazy things were getting.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think you'll warm up The universe 6 Saiyans if they get some more character development. I like Cabba. Kind of like Trunks.

Yeah, you're probably right. Your Cabba/Trunks comparison is pretty apt too.

Since Vegeta's taken a mentorship role with him, I hope we get to see some development between the two of them specifically going forward. Vegeta travelling to Cabba's home world would be neat to see.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

It lost me around the time Majin Buu and the mixed saiyans came about. I didn't think they could seriously keep the series going with how crazy things were getting.
Super is the continuation of Z and the first new Dragon Ball series in 18 years. It started airing in the summer of 2015... Japanese sub is at episode 111 and the English Funimation dub is around episode 40.

Takes place chronologically about 6 months after the defeat of Buu. In terms of power levels it definitely gets even crazier but the the characters the show has introduced and the arcs they've explored are even more enjoyable to me compared to Z. The pacing is vastly improved and there's much less filler.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Check it out. Dragonball super IMO is better than Z. Especially right now. It's up to episode 111.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Yeah, you're probably right. Your Cabba/Trunks comparison is pretty apt too.

Since Vegeta's taken a mentorship role with him, I hope we get to see some development between the two of them specifically going forward. Vegeta travelling to Cabba's home world would be neat to see.
Honestly, my prediction is at the end of the tournament all the universes will be combined as a happy ending, giving so much more potential to the show and it makes the writers jobs a hell of a lot easier.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Honestly, my prediction is at the end of the tournament all the universes will be combined as a happy ending, giving so much more potential to the show and it makes the writers jobs a hell of a lot easier.

Yeah, this is what hopefully happens... it would make perfect sense. You still get the feeling that the Grand Priest is up to something though. He gives off the vibe of being a puppet master with the Zeno's. Did you catch the way Universe 9's angel smirked after their universe was erased?

Goku in this form is so badass! Can't wait to see him master it.

Best Dragon Ball transformation/ability ever.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
A few thoughts on 111

Well... RIP Hit. :(

Jiren is a time breaking beast. He is so far beyond everybody else, it's insane. Made Hit's time skip attacks look like child's play. Hit put up a good fight and did better than I thought he would but it's going to be disappointing having him out of the tournament. I assumed he'd be one of the final handful remaining right up until the end.

Champa thanking Hit and giving him respect instead of berating him was a nice moment and welcome bit of character growth for him.

Jiren is gaining more of a personality bit by bit. So confident nobody else remaining is capable of posing a threat to him he leaves the scraps to Toppo and Dyspo and decides to meditate. If that isn't the ultimate slap in the face to Goku and Vegeta, among others...

Loved Frieza's interaction with Goku. His character during these more intimate moments is one of the highlights of the Tournament of Power for me.

Felt like this episode got back to more of the battle royale theme some of the first few episodes of the tournament had. Looking forward to seeing more teamwork instead of one-on-one battles over the next few episodes.

Assuming the reason that nobody tried knocking Jiren off when he was frozen in Hit's time pocket thingy was because he was frozen in time itself instead of just immobilized?

The Grand Priest turned the sky green. I don't know what this means!

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I absolutely love what they're doing with Frieza in this series. I was a bit concerned with bringing him back again but he's showing a bit of respect for Goku and Hogan now. I really don't think any underlying motive materializes and he goes on his way after this arc.

As far as the Grand Priest goes, I really don't think the tournament finishes. I think the GP will show his true colors and the remaining warriors have to take him and some of the angels on (Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Jiren, Toppo are my guesses for the remaining fighters plus probably Beerus and Champa.) Whis and Vados probably fight too after being conflicted about defying their father but ultimately side with their universe's.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad