Draft thread part 3: who will it be?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I think it would be amazing if Colorado moves down one spot for a ransom and still ends up with Jones.

That would be very smart IMO. If they got a roster players or a 2nd for the Panthers pick they would be in a great position. Everyone knows they need defense, and it could be possible Sakic was using Mackinnon as a smoke screen against the Panthers.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Even a trade with Tampa means they will land one of Jones or Drouin, who I think are their two real targets. But yes, I predict Florida trades up to #1 and takes Mac, with the Avs getting Jones at #2. Tampa takes Barkov, leaving us Drouin.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Even a trade with Tampa means they will land one of Jones or Drouin, who I think are their two real targets. But yes, I predict Florida trades up to #1 and takes Mac, with the Avs getting Jones at #2. Tampa takes Barkov, leaving us Drouin.

I really hope your right. The more you see Druion it makes you question why hes not the consensus number one. He has been a scoring machine, granted its not in the NHL but these are all young guys. Who knows how successful any of them will actually be. Druions playmaking ablility thus far is impressive though.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Teams want to be big now. With the success of clubs like Boston, people want to be tough and huge, which isn't Drouin's game. I think if he was two inches taller, he'd be getting more attention for #1.

He's also winger. Recent Stanley Cup Champs have pretty much all been built around top centers.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I don't know if I buy Tampa taking Barkov because he's a center.

Stamkos is and will be the #1 center for the next decade. Once MSL leaves or slows down, there will be no one to play with him (Purcell maybe?).

If they take Barkov, they'll need to find some wings somewhere. While if they take Drouin, all they'll have to find is a #2 center - which is a heck of alot easier than finding a top line winger.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Teams want to be big now. With the success of clubs like Boston, people want to be tough and huge, which isn't Drouin's game. I think if he was two inches taller, he'd be getting more attention for #1.

He's also winger. Recent Stanley Cup Champs have pretty much all been built around top centers.

And yet, the Cup was won by a team built around wingers and led by an undersized winger often compared to Drouin...

Not disagreeing with you though. Centers are important.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Dramatically quiet this morning....... Could be all the teams want to make a splash on TV. Since there a pre draft show a pre pre draft show and a show talking about the pre draft shows.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Just heard an interesting rumor. Leafs talking to the Preds and Canes offering Reily and their first round spot to move to yours or the Canes.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130695

ISS draft rankings

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Poile laughs and hangs up phone lol. He said it would have to be an outstanding mind blowing offer to make him deal this pick, that is far from it.

Reilly should be a solid NHL defenseman but him along with the 21 pick for a potential franchise player at four, pffft. Thanks but no thanks.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Poile laughs and hangs up phone lol. He said it would have to be an outstanding mind blowing offer to make him deal this pick, that is far from it.

Reilly should be a solid NHL defenseman but him along with the 21 pick for a potential franchise player at four, pffft. Thanks but no thanks.

The other name tossed out was Gardiner. I guess we shall see what happens.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I agree that Reilly or Gardiner isn't enough to move us off #4, but for Carolina, who already has Skinner, Staal, other Staal, Semin, and Tlusty, that will be a very tempting offer.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
trying in advance top wrap my head around a scenario in which we draft Jones and keep him... the only reason this would make sense is if Poile thinks we have a "window" in the next two years and he thinks it will be three years before any forward available at 4 is mature enough to contribute during that window.

under that scenario, Jones, who presumably is NHL ready and could be our #4D man right out of the chute, fills our defensive need at an ELC price, and poile thinks with the money he would have had to spend on a 2nd pair D-man available he can land at least two top 6 forwards vis free agency or trade.

you know you are a longtime Preds fan when you start thinking of these crazy contingencies in advance because you just know that something weird is going to happen

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So many rumors flying around like Avs taking Drou then Mac then Barkov top 3.

I will be floored if the Avs keep the number 1 pick and use it on someone other than Mackinnon.

Unless Drouin has suddenly rocketed to the top of everyones draft board the avs could trade down to three or even 4 and likely still get drouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad