Draft Position Thread.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
There's lotteries for 1st overall and 2nd overall but not 3rd overall. Not since Yzerman complained about it:

Assuming the Flames finish 25th in the standings inline to draft 8th overall, there's 5 possible scenarios for where the pick actually ends up:
  • 1st OV if they win the first lottery
  • 2nd OV if they win the second lottery
  • 8th OV as is
  • 9th OV if one team ranked 22nd to 24th wins a lottery
  • 10th OV if two teams ranked 22nd to 24th win the lotteries
Still pissed NHL accommodated baby whiner Yzerman. Thought he was a tough hockey player who thrived “against the odds”.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Jankowski was primarily a Weisbrod decision.

But yeah thinking similar is "they share the same brain" lol. Man people just want to pick fights over nothing these days.
Not trying to pick a fight at all - genuine question. Innocent figure of speech that means the exact same thing, really.

Like, it just seems that it was said after the Jankowski draft and was latched onto pretty hard. But I’m not sure it’s been very supported since - unless I’m missing something. Hence why I asked if there were other instances.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To be fair, props to Mark Jankowski for carving out a professional career with the processor speed of a 1995 IBM PS/1 486SX-33.

• Haha
Reactions: Anglesmith

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
God how sick would it be if we win the lottery this season and got Celebrini.

I expect us to be much worse next year, especially if we trade Markstrom in the off season. Who’s projected to go first overall next year? Is that Mckenna?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Still pissed NHL accommodated baby whiner Yzerman. Thought he was a tough hockey player who thrived “against the odds”.
I still think they should do a 2 tier lottery.
Tier 1 - bottom 10 teams draw for picks 1 to 5
Tier 2 - remaining 11 teams draw for picks 6 to 16

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
God how sick would it be if we win the lottery this season and got Celebrini.

I expect us to be much worse next year, especially if we trade Markstrom in the off season. Who’s projected to go first overall next year? Is that Mckenna?
Hagens is the favorite right now, mckenna is 2026 draft

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not trying to pick a fight at all - genuine question. Innocent figure of speech that means the exact same thing, really.

Like, it just seems that it was said after the Jankowski draft and was latched onto pretty hard. But I’m not sure it’s been very supported since - unless I’m missing something. Hence why I asked if there were other instances.
ehhh looked more like a snide remark punted at an innocent comment about hoping Craig is an indication of Todd picking a preferred player.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
ehhh looked more like a snide remark punted at an innocent comment about hoping Craig is an indication of Todd picking a preferred player.
Sorry you took it that way, then.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hadn't been paying attention, but the Oilers are only 4 back of Vancouver with 2 games in hand, with a head-to-head match-up remaining. This could be good for us if the Oilers can take the division.

Oilers Sked
APR 12 - vs ARI
APR 13 - vs VAN
APR 15 - vs SJS
APR 17 - at ARI
APR 18 - at COL

Canucks Sked
APR 13 - at EDM
APR 16 - vs CGY
APR 18 - at WPG

So after Saturday, it is entire possible that the Oilers pull even with Vancouver.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Arizona will give it everything they've got in their remaining games. Don't think their players are too happy about relocating. I could see them passing us.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Coleman having a career year now is hilariously in line with the Flames' luck, or rather their lack thereof
Also, if we had the Markstrom of this year (specifically the version prior to the deadline) last season then they probably make the POs.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay - interesting thought for us in our efforts to tank.

With Montreal getting 1 Point tonight and Ottawa winning - I'm going to make the argument that we have a reverse magic number.

Like the magic number for making the playoffs, but here's what ours is.

If we can get only 3 pts or less in the standings the rest of the way - then I am 70% sure (which for arguments sake we'll round up to 100%) that we'll end with a pick higher than 8th.

So basically if we can get 3 pts or less in the remaining games - than I am (slightly) confident that we'll ascend from the 8th pick to the 7th pick.

So that's what I'm rooting for. I'd love to only get 2 Pts or less, but trying to be hopeful that we'll get some out of town scoreboard support that 3 points and we can get the 7th pick.

That could be clutch for getting Tiggy with it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Like the magic number for making the playoffs, but here's what ours is.
I've essentially been tracking this in the standings posts showing how many points teams can get before we can't catch them (up or down) in the standings

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
1712913532013.png

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
DATE
:habs
:coyotes
:sens
:flames
:seattle
:devils
:sabres
APR 12​
-​
at EDM​
-​
at AHM​
-​
-​
-​
APR 13​
at OTT​
-​
vs MTL​
-​
at DAL​
at PHI​
at FLA​
1PR 14​
-​
at CGY​
-​
vs ARI​
at STL​
-​
-​
APR 15​
at DET​
-​
at NYR​
-​
-​
vs NYI​
at TBL​
APR 16​
vs DET​
-​
at BOS​
at VAN​
at WPG​
-​
-​
APR 17​
-​
vs EDM​
-​
-​
-​
-​
-​
APR 18​
-​
-​
-​
vs SJS​
at MIN​
-​
-​

Current Pick positions
1712914496784.png

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sucks getting Anaheim and SJS in two of the last 4 games.
Both of those teams are asking us to hold their beers in terms of shittiness.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Need to lose the next two in regulation for any shuffling to occur. Otherwise we’re essentially locked into 8th

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Sucks getting Anaheim and SJS in two of the last 4 games.
Both of those teams are asking us to hold their beers in terms of shittiness.

I was at least somewhat relieved the Ducks game was in their own building, then I saw their record and they're the only team who is worse at home than on the road. Even Chicago is nearly .500 at home and their 31st (San Jose is also better at home). It took us OT to beat San Jose a few days ago so who knows what will happen, but my God that team has like 4-5 legit NHL players and that's it.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They need to sit any vet who is playing below 100%. Like I have no idea why they would make Backlund a game time decision just sit him for the game. If Coleman isn’t 100% he should sit.
There is NO positives in playing vets who are injured for these 5 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad