Draft Position Thread.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I think we all know we're falling faster than a love addict on molly.

I am still cheering for us to win, but I'm not expecting much after trading Tanev and Hanifin, and I am also hoping the teams behind us win because I understand there is value in picking higher.

After being curb stomped by the Avs tonight we have 17 games left and the 11th worst record in the league, or as you know the 11th overall pick going into the draft lottery.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I will update the following section as needed:

So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

View attachment 838138

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF and Boomstick

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Fo we want Tij Iginla, than a picking from 10-12 is where we get and that is where I see us finishing.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The majority of our remaining games are vs non playoff teams.
I can see Buff passing us soon, but I don't know about anyone else

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We play Arizona, SJ, Chicago and Anaheim a combined 6 times - almost get the feeling that’s good for 12 points on its own. We’ll see, Flames haven’t exactly been good against lower quality competition

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Ideal scenario:

Finish 25th/26th. Win the lottery to move up to 1st and get Celebrini. Alternatively, win the lottery to move up to 2nd to draft Demidov/Lindstrom/whatever

Then, trade Markstrom for the Devils 1st rounder. Package Vancouver's 1st if needed. Draft Iginla or some other centre or defenceman.

Reactions: HitterD

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Ideal scenario:

Finish 25th/26th. Win the lottery to move up to 1st and get Celebrini. Alternatively, win the lottery to move up to 2nd to draft Demidov/Lindstrom/whatever

Then, trade Markstrom for the Devils 1st rounder. Package Vancouver's 1st if needed. Draft Iginla or some other centre or defenceman.

This is the dream scenario.

The best outcome for the Flames is:

The Calgary Flames go on a losing streak, get good odds at the 1st overall pick.

The New Jersey Devils miss the playoffs but not by a whole lot and they get 10-13 pick. We can Package Markstrom, Vancouver's 1st round pick and another piece for their pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Blues up 3-0 on the Kings with less than 10 minutes left. This will put the Blues 4 up on the Flames.

The Capitals play the Oilers later tonight, and Canucks play the Avs.

A Canucks loss and Oilers win would bring Edmonton within 8 points for the division lead with 3 games in hand. With Demko out, I think the Oilers have a shot at catching the Canucks. I pint this out because the draft order places division winners eliminated in rounds 1 & 2 after other teams eliminated in rounds 1 & 2. So a Canucks losing streak that costs them the division could help us gain several draft positions with their pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oilers won in a walk, Canucks lost in OT.
Caps remain 2 points ahead of us.
Oilers are now 9 back of the Canucks with 3 games in hand. Bruins, Rangers, Avs and Stars are all within spitting distance of teh Canucks as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Oilers won in a walk, Canucks lost in OT.
Caps remain 2 points ahead of us.
Oilers are now 9 back of the Canucks with 3 games in hand. Bruins, Rangers, Avs and Stars are all within spitting distance of teh Canucks as well.
Lindholm was an inside job.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
We play Arizona, SJ, Chicago and Anaheim a combined 6 times - almost get the feeling that’s good for 12 points on its own. We’ll see, Flames haven’t exactly been good against lower quality competition
Since the flames have been losing to good teams lately, you just know they're gonna do the complete opposite of what they've been doing the entire season, and start showing up against the weaker teams, lmao.

Reactions: User1996

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lindholm was an inside job.
We win the lottery, draft Celebrini, Iginla pulls a Fox and we get him for a couple of 2nd rounders. Trade Mangiapane, Sharangovich and Kuznetsov at the deadline for 2025 and 2026 picks. We win the lottery again in 2025. draft McQueen. In 2026 Joe pulls a Fox, and Jade Iginla destroys college scoring records and is a stud for team Canada, and signs as an undrafted free agent with the Flames becoming the first woman to play in the NHL, and does so at a HOF level, just like her brothers.

in 5 years our lineup looks like....

Tij - Joe - Jade
Pelletier - Celebrini - Coronato
Honzek - Zary - McQueen

We win the Cup from 2027 to 2040.

Reactions: Anglesmith

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
With a loss tonight, there is potential (although unlikely) that we are in that 8th spot after tonight.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Happened on my first try I swear

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 3

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Games tonight...

Sabres up 3-0 on the Islanders after 40.
Columbus leads Ottawa 1-0, 2nd intermission.
Coyotes 2, Wings 1 after 2.
Habs and Bruins tied 1-1 with 1 frame left
Sharks and Penguins are tied 3-3 after 2 periods.
Devils and Stars are 2-2 after 20
Kraken host Caps @ 8pm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad