GDT: Draft Position Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I think we all know we're falling faster than a love addict on molly.

I am still cheering for us to win, but I'm not expecting much after trading Tanev and Hanifin, and I am also hoping the teams behind us win because I understand there is value in picking higher.

After being curb stomped by the Avs tonight we have 17 games left and the 11th worst record in the league, or as you know the 11th overall pick going into the draft lottery.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I will update the following section as needed:

So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

View attachment 838138

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF and Boomstick

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If the Flames don’t win the draft lottery, it would very nice to trade and get an another pick in the top 14, you can get two very good players.
even if the Flames do win the lottery i think they need to take a stab at getting the Jersey #10 pick. I think there are only 3 top 14 picks that might be available Ottawa, New Jersey's and Buffalo's. To get Ottawa's or Buffalo's Andersson/Weegar would have to be on the table as both teams are light on true right shot RD and I am not sure the Flames are willing to go there while Jersey's would probably start with a retained Markstrom with an additional asset maybe Vcr's 1st.
This would give them a chance to get one of the top forwards and dmen of the draft.

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
But I honestly expect this to be my flames theme song for the next little bit...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
But I honestly expect this to be my flames theme song for the next little bit...

lmao. Been several years since I watched this. A truly epic music video.
The two cowboys roll calling all of the countries in the og video should be the world anthem.

Reactions: Fig

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Manifesting a Flames win tonight.

I might be biased but I cant think of a more deserving team than CGY after what the players and fans have been through the last little bit. Super likable team and fan base, haven't had any luck in any of the lotteries they've been in.

I think if you polled NHL fans around the league on who they'd like to see win the lottery tonight CGY would win by a decent margin (I cant get a feel for SJ but I personally don't hope they win, ever).

Another interesting thought would be how a true number #1 franchise Centre like Celebrini could turn this re-tool into a success. The thing about re-tools is they tend to lack a lot of top-end talent needed to win. Conroy wants a competitive team that likely wont finish amongst the bottom 5 of the league in the foreseeable future, so they need a little luck here tonight.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Looks like Buccigross leaked the results accidentally on twitter. SJ retains. Utah moves up

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Former #Flames top 10 picks
🤦🏻‍♂️

2014 - Sam Bennett at 4
1992 - Cory Stillman at 6
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk at 6
1998 - Rico Fata at 6
2013 - Sean Monahan at 6
2016 - Matt Tkachuk at 6
2000 - Brent Krahn at 9
2003 - Dion Phaneuf at 9
2002 - Eric Nystrom at 10

Missing way wide on
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk at 6
1998 - Rico Fata at 6
2000 - Brent Krahn at 9
2002 - Eric Nystrom at 10
Cost Iginla/Kipper their cup
Those playoff runs from 03-08 look a lot different if you hit PPG players on even two of those four. Pathetic.

Looks like Buccigross leaked the results accidentally on twitter. SJ retains. Utah moves up
Shouldn't be - because the lottery hasn't been been done yet. It happens ~hr before the broadcast. Each team gets an observer. This is likely (hopefully) just production testing.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Shouldn't be - because the lottery hasn't been been done yet. It happens ~hr before the broadcast. Each team gets an observer. This is likely (hopefully) just production testing.
We'll find out.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Shocking that team with the best lottery odds ended up winning

Also, the pacific (excluding the Flames) just keeps accumulating high end talent. That's great

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Shocking that team with the best lottery odds ended up winning

Also, the pacific (excluding the Flames) just keeps accumulating high end talent. That's great

The Flames will be forced to re-build when the entire division all re-build before them, get all these stud players and destroy the Flames over and over again.

Anaheim drafted Carlsson 3rd overall, have a whack of good pieces and will draft 3rd overall again for another stud player. San Jose has Will Smith in the wings, Eklund is the in the NHL, will now get Celebrini. Edmonton still has McDavid. Vancouver seemingly turned it around and have a good core going forward. LA took a huge step back acquiring PLD, but they're still a better team than us. Golden Knights will use LTIR to always compete.

Right now it's between us and Seattle for bottom of the division.

Honestly unless the Flames sign a bunch of UFA's to try and be competitive (cool, more 10th overall picks), they have a really strong chance at McKenna in '26. Huberdeau and Kadri will be 2 years older, defense will be just Weegar and bums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad