• Kemmelf

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Meh, they burned a top 10 pick last year and still don't have a goalie at all. I'm not going to be concerned about the Sens unless they fire Dorion or win Bedard.

Reason why I believe they won't risk it this year. In regards to Boucher, I hope people get it one day...that you don't draft for needs....

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Expecting the third overall pick. Chances to see the habs ball come out on top is pretty low.

Hopefully we get lucky and get the first overall pick. I know a lot of people are not sold on Wright, but he could change the face of this franchise forever if he reaches his full potential.

Don’t get me wrong, we’ll end up with a good player, heck I wouldn’t even be mad if they decided to take Jiricek first because i think he’s great, but Wright is still first on my list.

In the end, as long as we get one of Wright/Jiricek/Cooley/Slaf I’ll be happy. I don’t hate Nemec (definitely potential there and different profile than all the other defensemen we have in the pipeline) but if we pick a defensemen that’s not named Jiricek, I would rather one of the three forwards.

Ran the lottery simulator for the first time, got fist overall on the first try. Over 20 tries ended up with 5-8-7 which is not bad considering the odds.

Definitely an exciting night that could be topped off a loss from the Leafs.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There's an article online asking the question of whether the Habs would be interested in the Devils 1st round pick this year.

Devils manager said they would be willing to trade their 1st rounder for an impact player.

Article suggests trading Josh Anderson would do the trick.

Would you trade Anderson to NJ for say, 4th OA this draft?

End up with 2 of the following:
Wright
Cooley
Nemec
Jiricek

What do you guys think?
I would consider for their 1st and 2nd round pick as long as that first doesn't drop and one of Slaf or Jiricek is available.

We'd probably have to send our Edmonton 2nd the other way with Anderson.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I mean, it's the highest likelihood that we end up with pick #3. I don't know why people are expecting a different outcome.
Where I am hoping for a different outcome is with who they pick if it is third. The last 2 times were meh to say the least...maybe third time picking third will be the charm.

Reactions: jaffy27

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Where I am hoping for a different outcome is with who they pick if it is third. The last 2 times were meh to say the least...maybe third time picking third will be the charm.

It will be in more how they develop the pick. Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi had the profiles for success and were coached/developed poorly. They also missed some red flags in the evaluation of the players environments/mentality which contributed to this.

I'm comfortable in saying outside of Slafkovsky who's upside is enormous but requires more projection, anyone else in the mix (Wright, Cooley, Jiricek and Nemec) will have a floor that's higher than Galchenyuk & Kotkaniemi with a similar upside to what Galchenyuk had coming out (he had the offensive abilities to be a 1C, let's not rewrite history).

Reactions: Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
It will be in more how they develop the pick. Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi had the profiles for success and were coached/developed poorly. They also missed some red flags in the evaluation of the players environments/mentality which contributed to this.

I'm comfortable in saying outside of Slafkovsky who's upside is enormous but requires more projection, anyone else in the mix (Wright, Cooley, Jiricek and Nemec) will have a floor that's higher than Galchenyuk & Kotkaniemi with a similar upside to what Galchenyuk had coming out (he had the offensive abilities to be a 1C, let's not rewrite history).

You're 100% right. The Habs have been god-awful at developing players for a long, long time and it shows. That was the key thing that needed to be fixed following the Bergevin error (era, I know, in this case - error). This, in my mind, is the biggest challenge for the fantastic duo (Gorton/Hughes)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

While true and I have been saying it for years, I still think that I would have preferred Brady Tkachuk in 2018.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Big night tonight...

I'm on the fence on how I want it to go. I'm only really 50/50 on Wright. Part of me wants him, but I just have this feeling he won't pan out in Montreal.

Still slightly annoyed that we finish last and the prize isn't a Bedard, McDavid, Matthews, Crosby... :pout:

Reactions: Habs13

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018

I remember a few years ago hearing Timmins talking about a test that was created by a psychologist for the interviews at the combine.

Which would help them select players with good character and a good head on their shoulders.

Then you see all those guys drafted having attitude problems, or reacting rather poorly to situations around them. I don’t know how much weight was giving to that test, but I always wonder how important it was im their evaluation.

KK definitely had talent, and the failure of his tenure as a hab is attributable to both parties, but there is no denying that his attitude was bad.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
From what I have read the top 6 prospects are good players, it drops after that. We all know that it is a crap shoot but after two horrible 3rd overall picks the Habs can't make a mistake this time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
But if you have to pick a single team to win it, the Habs are the mathematically correct choice.

Yes, if you were betting on a team to win it the most likely outcome is the Habs as a singular entity. However, when you're a fan, expecting the 1st overall is not the healthy thing to do because its more likely we don't get it.

While true and I have been saying it for years, I still think that I would have preferred Brady Tkachuk in 2018.

As one of the main Brady detractors - if you told me they would develop KK the way they did, then absolutely they should have just taken Brady. Don't pick a project and try to play him right away. Just take the NHL ready guy and call it a day.

I remember a few years ago hearing Timmins talking about a test that was created by a psychologist for the interviews at the combine.

Which would help them select players with good character and a good head on their shoulders.

Then you see all those guys drafted having attitude problems, or reacting rather poorly to situations around them. I don’t know how much weight was giving to that test, but I always wonder how important it was im their evaluation.

KK definitely had talent, and the failure of his tenure as a hab is attributable to both parties, but there is no denying that his attitude was bad.

I don't know if his attitude was exactly -bad- but there was certainly a strained relationship between him and the Habs, which grew into bad attitudes and perceptions which got us into the offersheet mess. He still needed to mature without a doubt.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well... I'm going to miss the lottery. New girlfriend's cooking dinner and hates hockey, so I'll be sneaking peeks on my phone in between other stuff. Our entire season being rewarded tonight!

Reactions: habsfan891 and Treb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was obvious he’d flop, in retrospect. Maybe if he was with a better organization than the Oilers, he would have had the proper coaching to get him to stop buzzing around all over the place and be constantly in the wrong areas. Or he’s maybe just like his OHL teammate Galchenyuk who either doesn’t listen to coaches or is too dumb to understand what they are saying. Two examples of guys incredible skilled but dumb as rocks. Shane Wright isn’t dumb.

Obvious he would flop? Not too sure about that one

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well... I'm going to miss the lottery. New girlfriend's cooking dinner and hates hockey, so I'll be sneaking peeks on my phone in between other stuff. Our entire season being rewarded tonight!

That's a trap! You better be looking at your phone when you make trips to the washroom without her seeing you look at your phone while she is hard at work cooking dinner for you. :laugh:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
We're anxious but I can imagine those kids also being on edge about the lottery, telling themselves "please not AZ or PHI"... On top of that their performance in CHL playoffs/WC will likely be a key factor for their draft order

I’m not sure we really want to know what team they dont wanna go to.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Preview of my reaction tonight :

We win first : Hell yeah!!! Wright is going to be a monster and he's our best center since a loooooong time. We're so lucky to have him!

We win 2 or 3 : Thank god, Wright was a weak first overall and I much prefer the other guy's ceiling!

Either way I'll be happy.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Crazy how we used a #3 pick on one of the only Finnish players in the history of hockey with a bad attitude. Players from Finland normally have great attitudes and are low maintenance.

Reactions: MadMslm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad