Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I completely disagree with you on the offensive upside there.

Just watching Hayton and Lundestrom and watching Farabee is like night and day in terms of what they bring to the table.

That's like comparing Bouchard and Merkley because they're both putting up higher offensive numbers for a defenseman.

Farabee's biggest knock has never been his offensive upside, which is seen as higher than a complimentary middle six winger. It's been that the dude weighed about a buck-fifty when the season started, to go along with being 5'11.

Farabee isn't that dynamic, in my opinion. I was hoping his game would develop as such this season after what I saw a season ago but it hasn't. He's skilled, but not highly skilled. Good skater, but hasn't developed into a great skater. He can score and assist goals, but I think the proof is in the stats that he's not elite at either. I think he's solid all-around, but not great at anything.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Farabee isn't that dynamic, in my opinion. I was hoping his game would develop as such this season after what I saw a season ago but it hasn't. He's skilled, but not highly skilled. Good skater, but hasn't developed into a great skater. He can score and assist goals, but I think the proof is in the stats that he's not elite at it. I think he's solid all-around, but not great at anything.

I'll agree to disagree at this point.

I think there's a marked change since Hughes-Wahlstrom found chemistry. I remember another article or site noticing it as well a while back, but I can't remember where.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Pavel Buchnevich whoa boy do we disagree about Farabee. The kid has a relentless motor and some crazy skill. He definitely has the style of game that should translate well to the pros, and the only knock on him right now is his commitments for next season.

I like that he’s headed to Michigan. I think he will benefit from being coached by Berenson.
Berenson retired last year and Michigan has been kinda meh this season IMO. I haven’t been too impressed with them outside of Hughes, Norris, and Martin.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
For me, ideally they take a defenseman with the Rangers pick, and with Boston and Tampa they take wingers

Unless they win a top 3, then my strategy changes

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
joel farabee is a consensus top 15 pick.

he does everything at pace and has a really nice skill set. he's been used in all situations on the U18 team from pp to pk to driving play and controlling games. he's smart and both scorer and distributer.

he's pretty much a sure fire nhl top 6 forward prospect with many agreeing he's got top line scorer potential.

if he's there in that 10-15 range, you take him. period.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I hope we use a late round pick on overager Einar Emanuelsson, has some very solid underlying numbers in SHL. Should have been drafted already based purely on his J20 numbers, Arvidsson-light.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How I have the tiers for the top half of the draft right now:

2018 NHL Draft Tiers.jpg

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
If this board isn't thrilled with what they consider to be "nice and safe" prospects, I see it as being highly unlikely they would love what they see from Veleno, Hayton or Lundestrom.
This board is all about making bold moves because our jobs don't depend on success. Scouts don't have that luxury.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
With all this tank talk last few months it would be a complete disappointment if we don't come away with a potential top pairing dman like Bouchard or hughes. And no not interested in trading our bottom two picks which could mean losing out on a guy like addison or kravstov. We need to be either 8/9 . The dream of being 4 or 5 and Getting boqvist is history.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bokk is going to continue to rise I think but adding Bokk and Kravstov with the Boston and Tampa picks would be amazing

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Bokk is going to continue to rise I think but adding Bokk and Kravstov with the Boston and Tampa picks would be amazing

We will most likely need to trade up to get either of them, I think there is a better shot of Denisenko falling to us right now. Kravstov has looked very good

Reactions: Joey Bones

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't like Lundeström at all, low P/60, shot generation, bad corsi and nothing in his game screams upside either...

I think David Gustafsson is a better player and a better prospect then Isac Lundeström.

Bokk is super interesting, i think he'd be in contention for the top 15, maybe top 10 if he had some puck luck in the SHL this season, but instead he's rocking a solid 1.45% on ice SH%, which is ridiculous... Bad luck in a small sample can do a lot and now he might be available late 1st instead which would be amazing. His underlying numbers in the same small sample are all really good.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Wouldn't take Lundeström at all. I can't see them taking a center until like round 4. Wise as a mid round pick I'd be good for

Them taking a center in the first round would mean that one of our young centers may get converted to wing

We will most likely need to trade up to get either of them, I think there is a better shot of Denisenko falling to us right now. Kravstov has looked very good
Depends on how the playoffs shake out but you may be right

I'm hoping Kravstov drops due to the "russian factor", so he can fall into our laps

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We are right now in Dobson territory.

Right now we are more or less okay.

I think we're drifting out of the Boqvist/Hughes or Wahlstrom/Bouchard range. But Dobson and Farabee could certainly be in play.

Remember, my "rankings" could be considerably off from how other teams view players. I put it together based on how I rank the prospects, not necessarily the order the I think they will be selected.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This board is all about making bold moves because our jobs don't depend on success. Scouts don't have that luxury.

And we should keep in mind that the concept of a "big swing" is going to vary person to person.

What someone might consider a high risk/high reward, could be anywhere from a low risk/low reward, to a low risk/high reward, to a high risk/low reward scenario to someone else.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yea, Wilde would definitely be tempting as well if the NYR drop to 11/12.

Ceiling is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum. In some ways, I find him to be opposite from the guy I have him grouped with - Smith.

Smith has probably the highest floor of the top defenseman in the draft (save Dahlin), but I don't think he can match them for upside at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad