Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I would put Veleno in that group of Bouchard, Dobson, Smith & such, too. He'd be a solid get in the 7-12 range.
Big fan of Veleno as well. Only issue is hes prob already real similar to other proapects we have (Lias, Howden). However, if his offense could catch up he could be a wonderful player

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I really wouldn't fret about microanalyzing our draft position on a game-by-game basis. Even if we're in the 9th slot, it's actually more likely for us to fall back to 11th than it is to jump up to 1st. The group of teams around us are all so close, and it's really not that crazy to figure we can still fall into the 7th-ish range.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I really wouldn't fret about microanalyzing our draft position on a game-by-game basis. Even if we're in the 9th slot, it's actually more likely for us to fall back to 11th than it is to jump up to 1st. The group of teams around us are all so close, and it's really not that crazy to figure we can still fall into the 7th-ish range.

Plus, if there’s a player that Gorton has his eyes on, I believe he will make every effort to trade up.

Reactions: Pizza

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think the concern is that we might not even get Farabee there.

There's a clear drop off after around 12 this draft. It was all cool when we were in the 7-8 position, but putting ourselves at a place where if we drop a place cause of the lottery, it means we have a significant drop in talent... well, I don't think we'd stay there, but it would cost us one of our late 1sts or early 2nds to move back up there, which would suck. That's where you get players like Howden, Hajek, Skjei, etc. Maybe not all stars, but solid contributors to a roster.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
So let's play out the scenario. NYR keep streaking, pass Carolina and Florida and have the 12th pick. If that's too unrealistic pretend they pass the Canes and Florida wins the lotto.

Below players are gone. Who is the guy?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

I would want Kotkaniemi but curious to hear others thoughts / what the NYR might do. Veleno?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
So let's play out the scenario. NYR keep streaking, pass Carolina and Florida and have the 12th pick. If that's too unrealistic pretend they pass the Canes and Florida wins the lotto.

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

I would want Kotkaniemi but curious to hear others thoughts / what the NYR might do. Veleno?

Bode Wilde

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Interesting note from brooks today that since 2005 the isles in 08 are the only team to trade a top 5 pick

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

Kotkaniemi/Wilde/Veleno/Merkley

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would put Veleno in that group of Bouchard, Dobson, Smith & such, too. He'd be a solid get in the 7-12 range.

Meh, Veleno just doesn't really do it for me.

I have little doubt he'll play in the NHL, but I just do not see the high-end offense.

If he were European, I can't help but feel that people would be using the word "safe" like a comma when talking about him.

To me, Veleno is outside that top 12 or so, and is at the front of the second half.

Veleno was granted exceptional status several years ago, and I think people still keep holding out for that special player they thought they were getting. The reality is that without that designation, very few people would be talking about Veleno at the top of the draft. He'd be in the same conversations as Hayton and Lundestrom. Both good prospects, but not in those higher tiers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pretty much my thoughts.

If you're outside the guys who have the higher ceiling/higher floor combo, you go for the ceiling at that point. I'd take that over the higher floor guys like Hayton, Veleno or Lundestrom.

I like that he’s headed to Michigan. I think he will benefit from being coached by Berenson.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
we have 7 picks in the top 90 this draft and 5 in the top 50. theres potential here to make a serious move.

evan bouchard is the type of kid you build around

we moved mcd27 out. this organization needs a foundation type dman. bouchard is that guy. he does everything so well and can jump up and be that 4th forward. i see him as a prototypical do everything guy.

while we may not be able to move up to the top 3, i could see us packaging the 3 1's and a possible additional 2nd to move up. plus zucc will be in play. a roster player plus a 1st moves us up. either way, having 2 picks in the top 10-15 or so would move this organizational needle alot.

if this organization can parlay those chips into 2 picks in the top 15 in this daft, we could well come away with bouchard and farabee or denisenko in round 1.

you then make a bold play for the most talented forward left in round 2. akil thomas would be a steal here. a few surprises in round 1 and he may drop into round 2. if he's there, you move up and grab this kid.

and certainly hope one of the swedes filip hallander or perhaps rasmus sandin drop to round 3. both would be great value picks.

that would be quite a haul

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

Wilde AINEC

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Farabee is also mad overrated.

He's barely pacing better than Wise, yet plays a less important position, gets to ride coat tails with Hughes and is less talented.

One of these players is talked about as a top 15 pick, the other guy is talked about as 2-3 round. Bizarre.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If this board isn't thrilled with what they consider to be "nice and safe" prospects, I see it as being highly unlikely they would love what they see from Veleno, Hayton or Lundestrom.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Farabee is also mad overrated.

He's barely pacing better than Wise, yet plays a less important position, gets to ride coat tails with Hughes and is less talented.

One of these players is talked about as a top 15 pick, the other guy is talked about as 2-3 round. Bizarre.

Farabee is also the guy who is doing the hard work so a guy like Wahlstrom can...shall we say...coast a little?

He also wasn't playing with Hughes all season.

If anything, his game production has suffered since being paired with Hughes, because Hughes tends to keep going to Wahlstrom.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We'll be slotted at 8-10.. I dont know why everyone is freaking out.

When we hit the lottery with our pick, how much would it cost to get back into the top 10 for a player like Bouchard? Roster player + BOS + TB 1st?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Farabee is also the guy who is doing the hard work so a guy like Wahlstrom can...shall we say...coast a little?

He also wasn't playing with Hughes all season.

If anything, his game production has suffered since being paired with Hughes, because Hughes tends to keep going to Wahlstrom.

He's a decent player, but the upside just isn't there, in my opinion. How much different would drafting Farabee top 10 be from drafting Hayton or Lundestrom top 10?

After the season we've had, I think it'll kind of be a waste to end it with a complimentary middle six winger.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We'll be slotted at 8-10.. I dont know why everyone is freaking out.

When we hit the lottery with our pick, how much would it cost to get back into the top 10 for a player like Bouchard? Roster player + BOS + TB 1st?

Unfortunately, I don't view 8-10 as a given.

This team is too unpredictable. Frankly, it's still much closer to the "dreaded middle" than anything else.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's a decent player, but the upside just isn't there, in my opinion. How much different would drafting Farabee top 10 be from drafting Hayton or Lundestrom top 10?

After the season we've had, I think it'll kind of be a waste to end it with a complimentary middle six winger.

I completely disagree with you on the offensive upside there.

Just watching Hayton and Lundestrom and watching Farabee is like night and day in terms of what they bring to the table.

That's like comparing Bouchard and Merkley because they're both putting up higher offensive numbers for a defenseman.

Farabee's biggest knock has never been his offensive upside, which is seen as higher than a complimentary middle six winger. It's been that the dude weighed about a buck-fifty when the season started, to go along with being 5'11.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

That's a tough scenario for the NYR here. They have been such a terrible team but somehow find a way to draft out of the top 10. At that point I would say one of...

Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Bode Wilde or Akil Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad