Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Isac Lundeström is not a top 20 player in this draft, i'm not sure he's in my 1st round. There's nothing special at all about him and his defensive game is overrated, he's a bad CF% player, low P/60 (1.12 at 5v5), low shot generation and it's not like he's showing off skills which are indicators of a high upside either, i don't get the allure with him.

Reactions: Bozle

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thing was he needed a change of scenery in Saint John. Since he moved to Drummondville, he's been the better point producer of late. I could definitely still see hope for him becoming something special.

I completely agree he’s been better, but I can’t say he’s made me stop and say, “Hey, there’s a kid with higher end offensive potential.”

It’s not that I think he’s a bad player, in fact I’d say his flooris among the highest in the draft. I just can’t see passing up a chance at some of the top end talent for him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Knew the NYR hadn't used a 1st on a player from the Q in a while, but was pretty shocked when I looked it up.

Last Q 1st rounder was Lucien DeBlois in 1977.

It’s funny, the Q has come a long way toward closing gaps in the last 10 years or so, but I’d be lying if I said I thought it was on par with the other junior leagues.

For the Rangers I’d probably argue it might be viewed as fifth or sixth among leagues they prefer to look at.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Isac Lundeström is not a top 20 player in this draft, i'm not sure he's in my 1st round. There's nothing special at all about him and his defensive game is overrated, he's a bad CF% player, low P/60 (1.12 at 5v5), low shot generation and it's not like he's showing off skills which are indicators of a high upside either, i don't get the allure with him.
Yeah, he's a guy I'd avoid flat out in the first round, don't see much upside with him. If he reaches his potential, I could see a Namestnikov type, and that's if everything goes perfectly.

He ain't Andersson 2.0.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I think I agree with you, but Lundestrom does have a very high ability to play hockey at a high level if you get what I mean.

He is in his D minus 1 season and can play a very solid game of hockey in the SHL and the WJCs, and it’s not like he isn’t involved offensively or display any skill, he is more of a 2 way guy and hardly no wiz but he is very far from defensive minded.

I also think it’s a bit dangerous to look at CF% with 17 y/o that isn’t close to being ready. Sure it can be helpful and be a big indicator — but these kids aren’t suppose to be ready or finished products.

Lundeström is one of the harder types to scout. Over the years there have been many guys who just are subtly good and they are drafted a little later than more intanglible guys and like after not too many months you stand there scratching your head asking — why wasn’t this kid picked earlier? 95% of the kids drafted ahead of him aren’t even close to being as good as he is?

But I agree with you, I wouldn’t be high on IL top 20 either. But he is definitely the type I would want to watch a ton of to try to really get a grip of him.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Craig Custance spoke to a few NHL scouts about the upcoming draft in regards to the Red Wings which should be in the same ballpark as the Rangers if they can stop winning the meaningless games.

Custance brought up the Wings possibly reaching for a center in the top 10

Custance: Sketching out a Red Wings draft plan for who to...

The Rangers have also focused on centers and D in their rebuild. This draft has many quality D similar to 2008 so the Rangers invest one of the 1st rounders in a D. Gorton selected Andersson and Chytil for down the middle. The Rangers acquired young D at the deadline. Whether or not they amount to much is open to debate.

Weird that they covered so much in the Wings but didn't mention Svechnikov. So granted they would need to probably be #2 to land him but he has come out to say that he wants to be close to his brother who is in on the Wings. Of course again they would need to get lucky to get to #2, however let's say they won 1st OA. I wouldn't be surprised if they selected Svechnikov over Dahlin for that reason.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Id toss out an Avatar bet that Lundestrom not only goes in the first round but he makes the NHL team that drafts him before at least 60% of the rest of the 1st round.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Okay, confession. I know Dahlin is the big prize, but I’m hoping that if the Rangers were to win one of lottery slots, I want it to be the spot we can take Svechnikov, which goes against my rule that you take the franchise Dman over the high-scoring winger.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think I agree with you, but Lundestrom does have a very high ability to play hockey at a high level if you get what I mean.

He is in his D minus 1 season and can play a very solid game of hockey in the SHL and the WJCs, and it’s not like he isn’t involved offensively or display any skill, he is more of a 2 way guy and hardly no wiz but he is very far from defensive minded.

I also think it’s a bit dangerous to look at CF% with 17 y/o that isn’t close to being ready. Sure it can be helpful and be a big indicator — but these kids aren’t suppose to be ready or finished products.

Lundeström is one of the harder types to scout. Over the years there have been many guys who just are subtly good and they are drafted a little later than more intanglible guys and like after not too many months you stand there scratching your head asking — why wasn’t this kid picked earlier? 95% of the kids drafted ahead of him aren’t even close to being as good as he is?

But I agree with you, I wouldn’t be high on IL top 20 either. But he is definitely the type I would want to watch a ton of to try to really get a grip of him.

Sure, and if CF% was the only thing "bad" with him i'd ignore it too, but it's just a part of it, no numbers look impressive with him.-..

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player and a good prospect, but in the context of a top 15/20 pick in a strong draft then he's not good at all.

Reactions: Ola

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Id toss out an Avatar bet that Lundestrom not only goes in the first round but he makes the NHL team that drafts him before at least 60% of the rest of the 1st round.

I won't take that bet. I also think he goes in the 1st, probably top 20. I'm saying he shouldn't though, based on both my viewing on him and the numbers he's producing. Every single number from Lundeström is worse then David Gustafsson and they're similar player types, Gustafsson younger too.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Absolutely 100% agree.

Personally, I'd take Wilde over Dobson for the higher ceiling.
Don’t sleep on Dobson though. Similar size and skill packges, but Dobson has the better defensive game right now. Wilde has had some ridiculous clips on offense, but he’ll need to round of his defensive game to truly hit his ceiling. I wasn’t joking when I said he’d be like Duncan Keith in Seabrook’s body.

Dobson has size, skating, and IQ. If he fills out a bit more he has just as much potential to be a bookend for a decade+

It’s funny, the Q has come a long way toward closing gaps in the last 10 years or so, but I’d be lying if I said I thought it was on par with the other junior leagues.

For the Rangers I’d probably argue it might be viewed as fifth or sixth among leagues they prefer to look at.
I’d actually argue that our scouts in the Q have been our best over the past 5 years. Our WHL scouts have been trash, and we’ve only started dipping in the OHL pool more recently. I really, REALLY want us to start scouting the USHL better. They’re cranking out talent that can help fill our your lineup every draft. I’m hoping that trend starts this year with this crop of dmen.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Okay, confession. I know Dahlin is the big prize, but I’m hoping that if the Rangers were to win one of lottery slots, I want it to be the spot we can take Svechnikov, which goes against my rule that you take the franchise Dman over the high-scoring winger.
Svechnikov has 40 goals, 90 pt potential IMO. He's a "steal" at 2 imo.

Reactions: Rangers743

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Svechnikov has 40 goals, 90 pt potential IMO. He's a "steal" at 2 imo.

I’d dare say he’s the middle child of this draft.

Everyone is awed by Dahlin’s potential to be the premiere defenseman of this era, and Zadina is the exciting, rising star, but Svechnikov is a damn scary player.

I think he’s the best all around offensive forward in this draft and is at least just as good of a goal scorer as anyone else.

He’s just smooth, his stick handling, his hands, his reach and range. It’s not that he does everything at high speed and blows by people, so much as he just seems to completely dictate the speed of the game.

Then you factor in a frame that figures to be in the 6’3, 220 point range and he’s insanely difficult to stop.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Everyone else is in tank mode but us.
problem is two fold most of these teams just plain suck. Including the "amazing" coach julien and montreal canadiens. AND two many of these teams were too far behind us to ever catch up. Whats sad now is we are realizing we are even better than the islanders and canes. Only hope is somehow they can squeak ahead of us down the stretch. Even with a backup goalie from Bulgaria who is undrafted we are putting up points.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I guess soon the draft talk we be about either selecting kupari or Farabee with our first pick .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad