Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not anti-CHL either. Stats prove out it works really well for Canadians and some Americans, but those in a pro environment should stay there, especially a pro environment that is a good league and might be where they've grown up. There's the issue of Russians adapting to CHL that everyone mentions, but there's a similar problem for Swedes, Finn's, Czech's, Slovaks. You gotta do that eventually if you want to play in the NHL, but even kids from these countries where Western culture is a big part of their culture, its still a change, and combining that with hockey can make them struggle to develop. I think its best to let them fully develop into NHL'er in men's leagues in their home country, and once they are NHL ready they should come over to the NHL.

The CHL would be a better path if the AHL and ECHL were options before age 20, but its not. The CHL is a very low level, like all junior leagues. Guys like Morrison, Gropp, Gettinger, Tambellini, Ronning, all recent Ranger draft picks out of the CHL all scored 1PPG or more at one time or another in the CHL, and there's a decent chance this group of recent forward draft picks will produce 0 NHL'ers, so for the really good players, the first round picks, a lot of them are too good for the CHL right after being drafted, but not yet close to NHL ready. Waste two years dominating kids or improve in a quality mens league that is closer to your proper level?

I'm a big proponent of drafting players in a professional league or who are about to be entering a professional league in the upcoming season, I think you have a built in advantage drafting those players because you are getting a group of players who has a built in development advantage.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Excellent post. The other thing I’d add is drafting Euros helps you get kids into the AHL if you think they’re close. The CHL is never getting rid of that age rule or else they’ll lose their top players in the d+1 years

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I just don't get the lack of love for Woo.

Eh, ISS always dings kids in the teens and twenties when they get injured during their draft season. Plus there's a lack of a "wow" factor.

I'd love to come out of the first with a couple good players. I think Wahlstrom goes 6/7/8 and we miss on him, but I like Kupari a lot as well. He and Woo would be a coup (heh).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is why we shouldn't put too much stock into draft-eligible players scoring at the WJC. Puljujarvi nearly set a record, this guy had 1 point.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is why we shouldn't put too much stock into draft-eligible players scoring at the WJC. Puljujarvi nearly set a record, this guy had 1 point.

Gotta use more context in that small game sample size: that Finland team was an absolute machine led by 4 absolute studs. Elias didn’t have as big of a role on his team as Puljujarvi did. They’re both going to be very good NHLers for a very long time.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Veleno traded to Drummondville. Evan Boudain seems to be having a solid season for them

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I gotta say that Serron Noel is a really intriguing talent. 6'5 200lbs and is still so smooth and agile. I could see him having a really big 2nd half with Oshawa.

Reactions: Griffinbw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I gotta say that Serron Noel is a really intriguing talent. 6'5 200lbs and is still so smooth and agile. I could see him having a really big 2nd half with Oshawa.
I like Noel. I think he could jump up.

Its just very hard to project where the Rangers will be picking. Noel is probably in the 17-23 range at the moment?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I like Noel. I think he could jump up.

Its just very hard to project where the Rangers will be picking. Noel is probably in the 17-23 range at the moment?

I think most lists have him just outside of the first round. 30-35 range. I think one list might've had him in the early 20's.

There's just a ton of talent this year and it makes the top three rounds insanely deep. One of those years where teams might be happy to walk away at the trade deadline with a handful of 2nd and 3rd round picks because they know they'll have a good chance at a very good player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think most lists have him just outside of the first round. 30-35 range. I think one list might've had him in the early 20's.

There's just a ton of talent this year and it makes the top three rounds insanely deep. One of those years where teams might be happy to walk away at the trade deadline with a handful of 2nd and 3rd round picks because they know they'll have a good chance at a very good player.
Sure. This is why I think the Rangers should stop pretending they can contend this year and move their UFAs as soon as they can.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

But when Lidström was asked to describe Dahlin and what makes him stand out, he made a reference to another former star player.

“I really don’t want to compare him to players I’ve seen (in the NHL), but a player I instantly thought of is Brian Leetch and his skating, especially during his years with the (New York) Rangers”, Lidström told Swedish website hockeysverige.se recently. “(Leetch) also had the courage to skate with the puck, use his skating and take advantage of the space when he had the chance.”

That’s a flattering comparison. Brian Leetch is one of only eight defensemen that have scored more than a 1.000 points during their NHL careers, Lidström being one of the others.

“I can’t say whether (Dahlin) will end up like Brian Leetch, but I can see the similarities between how they play”, he adds

Reactions: Lion Hound and Ori

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can we gear up to tank in 2020 for Alexis Lafreniere. Thanks.

Alexander Holtz.

Lafreniere looks really good, but I'm not sure he'll have as much value at 1OA as other players in recent drafts, which is also why I think he's looking like the 2OA behind Holtz. He's very good, but he's a winger and he's not like an Ovechkin or Laine who could give you 50 goals. Its almost like the same thing with Svechnikov. He's going to be really good, but how valuable is having a "really good" PPG winger? Is it more valuable than a 1D or 1C or 50 goal per season winger?

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Alexander Holtz.

Lafreniere looks really good, but I'm not sure he'll have as much value at 1OA as other players in recent drafts, which is also why I think he's looking like the 2OA behind Holtz. He's very good, but he's a winger and he's not like an Ovechkin or Laine who could give you 50 goals. Its almost like the same thing with Svechnikov. He's going to be really good, but how valuable is having a "really good" PPG winger? Is it more valuable than a 1D or 1C or 50 goal per season winger?

I somehow ended up with Holtz in a EHM setup (I drafted him 7th) and he scored 50-60 goals every year and I went to 3 straight SCFs, winning two, with him leading the way.

So obviously...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My Top 31 for Dec. 2017

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Hughes
6. Wahlstrom
7. Tkachuk
8. Farabee
9. Kupari
10.Woo
11. Smith
12. Wilde
13. Veleno
14. Dobsen
15. Lunderstrom
16. McIsaac
17. Merkley
18. McLeod
19. Bouchard
20. Bokk
21. Thomas
22. Hayton
23. Grloux
24. Noel
25. Kotkaniemi
26. Olofsson
27. McBain
28. Denisenko
29. Miller
30. Addison
31. Alexeyev

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
My Top 31 for Dec. 2017

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist
5. Hughes
6. Wahlstrom
7. Tkachuk
8. Farabee
9. Kupari
10.Woo
11. Smith
12. Wilde
13. Veleno
14. Dobsen
15. Lunderstrom
16. McIsaac
17. Merkley
18. McLeod
19. Bouchard
20. Bokk
21. Thomas
22. Hayton
23. Grloux
24. Noel
25. Kotkaniemi
26. Olofsson
27. McBain
28. Denisenko
29. Miller
30. Addison
31. Alexeyev

Looks like 1 through 5 in that order are pretty much the consensus by everyone. From #6 on, everyone starts to have varying takes on who should be ranked where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad