Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How's Zub been for SKA this season? He hasn't been scoring at all for a team that's an offensive juggernaut.

Don't know. I've had less time to watch this season, and Shestyorkin's barely played recently, so I have no interest in watching.

He hasn't been playing much, 7th among defensemen in TOI, but thats kind of how it works at SKA. Its an NHL team.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
What????? Craziness in Redlines top ten for December...

DRb1oz0X4AEMT70.jpg:large

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Red Line had too much eggnog. I can see arguments between Svech and Dahlin duking it out between 1&2, but I’m very surprised to see Merkley and Bouchard jump that high. Everywhere else I’ve seen has them in the 10-15 range, but jumping ahead of Zadina is crazy to me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
RLR's been doing stuff like this for years. I remember in 1998 when they had Legwand ahead of Lecavalier.

However, I will admit that seeing Woo in the top 10 made me smile.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Eggenberger @ #9 is a bit wacky. But then again...I think Woodlief had Chytil higher then pretty much everyone else last year. A lot of other draft services didn't have him in the top 31. ISS had him 64th!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ola, What don't you like about him?

Nothing, but I previously mentioned that since he isn’t on the big stage, SHL or WJC, he was a lock to fall in rankings and also the actual draft (unless he establish himself in the SHL during the second half). Not saying that it logically makes sense, think it’s more of a physiological factor than anything else. At the WJC like everyone is there, some GM/AGMs, if you have sat their in the stands next to everyone else and seen the same things it’s just more comfortable making the selection.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Eggenberger @ #9 is a bit wacky. But then again...I think Woodlief had Chytil higher then pretty much everyone else last year. A lot of other draft services didn't have him in the top 31. ISS had him 64th!

He's not a top ten pick imo... but he'll climb after the WJC. Not sure of the upside, but he's a safe bet to make the NHL.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You know who I don't get the hype around? Barrett Hayton. We're currently slotted in the low 20s IIRC, and I'd opt for a Euro forward or one of the American D if they're on the board.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How's Zub been for SKA this season? He hasn't been scoring at all for a team that's an offensive juggernaut.

Zub doesn’t care about scoring pts, he will make a first pass of course and give his teammates support options, but I’ve never seen a more defensive minded player in my life. He only plays to destroy for others.

I am not one that get jerseys, but if I were to get one it’s Zub’s. He is a cult hockey player.

Think he mostly have been a 6th D for SKA, they dominate so much that they don’t need much defense. Would love to get him for a PK role in NY.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know who I don't get the hype around? Barrett Hayton. We're currently slotted in the low 20s IIRC, and I'd opt for a Euro forward or one of the American D if they're on the board.

His strength is his overall game - does a little bit of everything. Questions mainly surround his offensive upside. Has a shot to be a two-way, second line type player, but doesn't project as a top line guy. In the same general vicinity as guys like Lundestrom and McLeod (and personally I would say Veleno).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A couple of kids you guys may wanna keep an eye on in the UDFA market:

Daniel Brickley- Is familiar with the Rangers org. Best prize this year, teams thought he could play in the NHL this season.

Keifer Sherwood- I like his brother a lot. CLB signed him as a local find. Keifer is pretty good too. Jesper Fast like player.

Jimmy Shultd- Another guy that will be highly sought after. Has a high upside potential, but fairly unstructured.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
A guy I'd look at is Dylan McLaughlin of Canisius. He's tied for 3rd in the country in scoring and has played at least 3 less games than everyone. Watched him yesterday and he was the entire Canisius offense against Cornell with a really nice sauce feed for an assist and a nice goal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next Draft Rankings.

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Filip Zadina
5. Bode Wilde
6. Noah Dobson
7. Ty Smith
8. Brady Tkachuk
9. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
10. Vitaly Kravtsov
11. Filip Hallander
12. Joe Veleno
13. Rasmus Kupari
14. Joel Farabee
15. Jacob Olofsson
16. Quinn Hughes
17. Dominik Bokk
18. Jett Woo
19. Jake Wise
20. Jakub Lauko
21. Grigori Denisenko
22. Oliver Wahlstrom
23. Akil Thomas
24. Mattias Samuelsson
25. Evan Bouchard
26. Danila Galenyuk
27. Jared McIsaac
28. Barrett Hayton
29. Calen Addison
30. Isac Lundestrom
31. Jonatan Berggren
32. Alex Khovanov
33. K'Andre Miller
34. Ryan Merkley
35. Martin Kaut
36. Jack McBain
37. Jesse Ylonen
38. Cole Fonstad
39. Ryan McLeod
40. Serron Noel
41. Jakub Skarek
42. Lukas Dostal
43. Anderson MacDonald
44. Danila Zhuravlyov
45. Alexander Alexeyev
46. Philipp Kurashev
47. Jonny Tychonick
48. Bulat Shafigullin
49. Filip Kral
50. Xavier Bernard
51. David Gustafsson
52. Amir Miftakhov
53. Benoit Olivier Groulx
54. Nathan Dunkley
55. Jacob Ragnarsson
56. Nils Lundkvist
57. Adam Ginning
58. Jan Jenik
59. Jay O'Brien
60. Kyle Topping
61. Blake McLaughlin
62. Milos Roman

Comments: I think this draft has an excellent top 3, but after that, I don't like the first round. I don't think there are 31 first rounders in this draft. I counted a drop off after 26. I find the second and third rounds to have some depth. Not a great goalie draft either. Tons of defenseman to draft in the first few rounds, high end defensemen, puck moving, defensive. Decent crop of wingers. Center crop is awful near the top of the draft. I don't have a center higher than #9.

Reactions: Lion Hound

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
It’s good to hear that there’s s lot of defensemen to draft. Generally you don’t draft after need, but we really, really need defensemen with first, or even second pairing potential. Especially if the Rangers are unsure of McDonagh’s future with the team, with him being an UFA soon looming on the horizon...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
PB, I'd say Miller needs to be higher (25 range, but that's nitpicky). The one weird one to me is Groulx and and McBain. McBain I can see people being down on for skating issues, but why do you have Groulx so low? Most of what I've seen have him as a concensus late 1st. Also, Wahlstrom at 22 is crazy, but we've already discussed our disagreements on him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Groulx doesn't have much offense in his game. Miller has potential, but I just can't keep moving him up that much based on potential. There's a certain point where I don't think a player can surpass, unless the potential turns to results. He's not quite reached the results part of his game, so while I am a big fan of his, I can't keep moving him higher than that range. Samuelsson is a much better player right now than Miller, and even with Wilde's mistakes, I think he brings more right now, as well.

Also, I know a lot have Wahlstrom much higher, but to me, I just don't see it. Reminds me some of Owen Tippett from the last draft. There's a really good size, skating, goalscoring, puck carrying combo, but there's a real lack of IQ, passing ability, and I think its looking like he's moved off center, so that usually doesn't help one's value. He's a good player, but I think those who are putting him in the top 10 and top 15 are looking at the goalscoring numbers a little too much, and not doing enough analyzing of the rest of his game, which I think needs a lot of work. I know I'm lower on him than most, but based off what I've watched, I think I'm correct about this. Maybe not though, we gotta wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad