Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Curtis Hall is another intriguing prospect in the USHL. Just under a ppg right now with Youngstown. 6’2 righty center

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Wahlstrom is consistently in most people's top 10 and yet it feels like no one ever talks about him.

I could easily make the argument that he should be the third ranked forward behind Svechnikov and Zadina.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wahlstrom is consistently in most people's top 10 and yet it feels like no one ever talks about him.

I could easily make the argument that he should be the third ranked forward behind Svechnikov and Zadina.
I do :D

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I would love for the Rangers to figure out a way to trade into the top 5 this year. Think Edmonton could be a prime candidate for it if they're looking for established NHL talent to make this year an outlier going forward

Reactions: Lion Hound

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is going to sound funny, but in terms of cost and ROI, I'd love to get a guy like Wahlstrom or Farabee with a slightly lower high pick, and come away with Woo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes is imo significantly better then Boqvist defensively. Boqvist definitely the more dynamic offensively and has a wicked wrister.
Boqvist just really needs a loan to Allsvenskan to work on his defensive game imo.

Yeah, we disagree on this. I think its the other way around. Whatever, both are good players.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Which is why we rate him. Certain teams would rather take a chance on the magic beans.

Which is funny, because you look at how his offensive game has progressed, you look at the minutes he is playing and his expanded role, and the you can make an argument he's epitome of a guy who is showing upside and progression.

To me, when I think safe, I think Smith, I think McLeod, or even Veleno.

I don't think Woo.

Not that I am complaining, I'd love for the Rangers to nab him with their pick.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I read somewhere this week that the Rangers were heavily scouting a kid that is off the radar who they said has the skillset of Pavel Bure. Some siberian kid name Piotr Pestrolikov or something like that. Anyone can confirm this? I read it somewhere and now I cant find it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Five years running with that same bad joke?Way to keep your chin up and keep swinging, pal. At least it’s better than your Lias Andersson takes.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
On the topic of Siberia though, Vitaly Kravtsov could be a really good pick. Really talented winger with size, skill and skating. He's also producing in the KHL.

And yes, I know he's not technically from Siberia, but very close, I made sure to research this. :laugh:

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Ranta (6-foot-1, 192 pounds), who will attend the University of Wisconsin in 2018-19, is an A rated skater in NHL Central Scouting's November players to watch list. He leads the Musketeers with 11 points (seven goals, four assists) and 61 shots on goal in 17 games this season.

"Ranta's game is a combination of speed and power," said Greg Rajanen of NHL Central Scouting. "He attacks the blue line with speed and takes the puck to the net. He can really snap the puck and rarely passes up a shot. He's a threat to score every time he has the puck in the offensive zone."

Good prospect but there are a dozen first-year eligibles in the USHL with similar or higher upside and a more complete skill set.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're right. I guess he'll either be with Brynas or back in the Superelit.

I think that sometimes people make too big of a deal over exposure. I'm not saying thats what you are doing, but I've seen some recently suggest he's now gotta move to the CHL to get himself more media exposure.

Boqvist probably won't play that many games the rest of the season for Brynas, he'll probably dominate in Superelit the rest of the season, and do so at the WJC-18. I think he'll still be a very high pick, almost certainly top 5, maybe as high as 2.

I think he should stay with Brynas and try to earn his role. I think he could play a role now with them, but they don't want to give him that opportunity right now, and thats their right to think that way. On other teams, he might already have a regular role. Some have said he needs to go midseason to the London Knights because of this, but I completely disagree. That will make his development path at a young age much tougher just to have some extra exposure to the draft media. Unless you are some complete no name, thats a dumb strategy. I was making the same point about Kupari recently. These guys should stick it out at teams that developed their skills well to begin with. They don't need to be the most exposed players in the draft to be drafted high. It doesn't even matter if they are drafted 3, 8, 13, 20. It matters how well they develop as NHL prospects.

I think this is a big problem with some draft prospects. They leave a good development situation just because of a few bad months with one team or not getting as much playing time as they want for a few months. For most of these players, this is a long game. Their development from the time being drafted to the NHL is many years, I think thats gotta be considered. Did it end up helping Tambellini to move to the CHL and score a million points when he wasn't doing well in the NCAA's? How would've it worked out for Shestyorkin if he came over to NA when he wasn't getting playing time in the KHL?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I read somewhere this week that the Rangers were heavily scouting a kid that is off the radar who they said has the skillset of Pavel Bure. Some siberian kid name Piotr Pestrolikov or something like that. Anyone can confirm this? I read it somewhere and now I cant find it.

interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad