Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am very high on Zadina.

Is Ryan McLeod related to the guy on the Devils? Is he better?

Yes, Ryan is the younger brother of Michael McLeod.

Like his brother, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what type of player he projects to be. At this point, I see more of a steady middle six guy as the upside. He's steady, but not terribly eye-catching.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, Ryan is the younger brother of Michael McLeod.

Like his brother, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what type of player he projects to be. At this point, I see more of a steady middle six guy as the upside. He's steady, but not terribly eye-catching.
Sounds like most of the other guys the Rangers have drafted in R1 recently then.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Steve K wrote this about Dominik Bokk back in July. Seems like a player to keep an eye on for 2018.

RW Dominik Bokk (Kolner EC Jr., DHL | 02/03/00, 6’1/179): Powerful skater with a deadly shot who is the top German-born draft prospect since Leon Draisaitl went in the Top-10 in 2013. A recent import pick of the WHL’s Prince Albert Raiders, Bokk is a goal-scoring winger with soft hands and an excellent release. He assumed top-line duties for Kolner, and also for Germany at several international events, including last April’s Division 1B U18 World Championship where he led the tournament in goals. Bokk is a pure goal scorer who can deke or dangle his way into prime shooting areas, and he has the size, puck control and balance to ward off harassment. His plays hard in all three zones and will drop down below his own goal line to lend support, but is smart enough to sniff a possession change and dart into open ice for a counterattack.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
All things being equal, I think the Rangers go with a defenseman in this draft.
I think it’s obviously dependent on where they land, but outside of the few top forwards, there are more solid dmen in the first round overall

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I watched the U18 5 Nations today and there are a lot of excitable players and sound defensemen. K'Andre Miller outplayed both Emberson and Wilde (who had a bad game), and Mattias Samuelsson also was very good. The Finns have this kid Santeri Salmela and he was their best defender. His partner Thomson had trouble with turnovers, and Salmela did a great job covering for him. He's a better version of Calle Sjalin.

The Czechs have three forwards who can flat out fly -- Lauko, Plasek and Strondala (2019). But Jan Jenik -- a two-way winger -- might be the most NHL ready. He scored the OT winner and is one of the best teenage wingers I've seen in terms of defensive awareness. Like Chytil and Necas in their draft years, he's seen early-season action in the Extraliga and proved to be too good for the ELJ. He also led the Hlinka in goals last August.

I'm doing a 7-round mock draft late this month and I'm having the Rangers take a defenseman first. They should find a McDonagh type late in the 1st round.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched the U18 5 Nations today and there are a lot of excitable players and sound defensemen. K'Andre Miller outplayed both Emberson and Wilde (who had a bad game), and Mattias Samuelsson also was very good. The Finns have this kid Santeri Salmela and he was their best defender. His partner Thomson had trouble with turnovers, and Salmela did a great job covering for him. He's a better version of Calle Sjalin.

The Czechs have three forwards who can flat out fly -- Lauko, Plasek and Strondala (2019). But Jan Jenik -- a two-way winger -- might be the most NHL ready. He scored the OT winner and is one of the best teenage wingers I've seen in terms of defensive awareness. Like Chytil and Necas in their draft years, he's seen early-season action in the Extraliga and proved to be too good for the ELJ. He also led the Hlinka in goals last August.

I'm doing a 7-round mock draft late this month and I'm having the Rangers take a defenseman first. They should find a McDonagh type late in the 1st round.

What did you think of the Czech goalie Dostal and the captain Lauko? I had both those guys in my most recent rankings, along with Jenik who I think could be a big riser later in the season. Jenik is one of the 2018 draft's youngest players.

Also, do you know if Jake Wise is injured? He's not played in months for the NTDP team. He's going to fall down lists if he's not playing during his draft year.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What did you think of the Czech goalie Dostal and the captain Lauko? I had both those guys in my most recent rankings, along with Jenik who I think could be a big riser later in the season. Jenik is one of the 2018 draft's youngest players.

Also, do you know if Jake Wise is injured? He's not played in months for the NTDP team. He's going to fall down lists if he's not playing during his draft year.

Goalies are tough to assess at such a young age but Dostal was great yesterday. So was the Swiss kid Schmid. They gobbled up everything, tracked well, and both were quick with their blockers. I have a feeling scouts love Schmid because he's got the size and he's super rigid.

Lauko is one of the fastest kids in the draft. He gets at least one breakaway a game. Sometimes he looks like a Grabner in that all he does is shoot and skate, but he's looked way more generous and smart playing with adults than he does when he's a top dog on a U18 team. One thing I really like about Lauko is he's very active on every shift. He plays hard every shift and is always involved in something. He got clocked in the nuts by a Kokkonen slapper but was back on the ice in 5 minutes.

And Jenik is a great kid to watch. All-around two-way player and a throwback. At the Hlinka he was the net-front presence on the power play, yesterday he centered and ran it from the wall. Plus he's 6'1 so he will grow a little more.

I'd say both Lauko and Jenik will be no worse than high 3rds but at this rate they could both sneak into the late 1st.

As for Wise, it certainly appears he's hurt. I'll ask Pete Krupsky (their PBP guy) tomorrow what the deal is. Wise is smallish but a deadly playmaker. They have been winning without him and it gave kids like Hain and Pivonka an expanded role. I like Pivonka as a mid-round pick for the Rangers -- skilled, fast center with a great shot.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lauko is gonna skyrocket up boards and already has a good amount of hype behind him. Probably will be the Chytil-esque riser in this draft.

Ideal scenario is we somehow get he and Zadina and have Czechmates 2.0 for the next generation :nod:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s about time we disagreed on something. We were agreeing too much and the universe was starting to get tilted :laugh:

(Matthews > Laine still ;))

My favorite thread in the main boards is some guy from Puljujarvi's town in Finland who created a "Laine is not good thread" and then I think he scored the next three games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
On Bokk, he's one of my favorite players in the upcoming draft. If he was from Sweden or Finland as opposed to Germany, I think he'd be considered a top 15 certainty.

Reactions: Lion Hound

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Guys, what is your opinion on Martin Fehervary? In Slovakia he is considered as the best Slovak prospect in last few years, he also had good U18, U20 tournaments, but looking around the boards he does not get much recognition ( although I see Pavel Buchnevich has him at 52). I know this is a very deep draft, especially on D so that may be the reason he is not higher in the rankings? Or he just is not that good?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's real good, i wouldn't have minded if NYR reached for him at #7. Not that i mind Lias much either.
Rangers definitely scouted Suzuki a bit, if I remember correctly. The consensus was that 7 was too early for him though. Not sure who the pundits had higher between Andersson and Suzuki though.

On another note, is it just me or are the Rangers really shallow at LW and LHD.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Guys, what is your opinion on Martin Fehervary? In Slovakia he is considered as the best Slovak prospect in last few years, he also had good U18, U20 tournaments, but looking around the boards he does not get much recognition ( although I see Pavel Buchnevich has him at 52). I know this is a very deep draft, especially on D so that may be the reason he is not higher in the rankings? Or he just is not that good?

A scout i know personally thinks very highly of him, from my limited viewings i like him aswell.

Reactions: McD37

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Rangers definitely scouted Suzuki a bit, if I remember correctly. The consensus was that 7 was too early for him though. Not sure who the pundits had higher between Andersson and Suzuki though.

On another note, is it just me or are the Rangers really shallow at LW and LHD.

Yeah, The Bobfather mentioned Suzuki when he talked NYR at the draft.

Scoring wingers with upside is something we really lack. LHD depth is fine i think with Graves at the top then we have Själin, Crawley and Reunanen behind. It's not super good or anything but gotta remember that we have McDonagh and Skjei too so we don't need crazy LHD prospect depth.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, The Bobfather mentioned Suzuki when he talked NYR at the draft.

Scoring wingers with upside is something we really lack. LHD depth is fine i think with Graves at the top then we have Själin, Crawley and Reunanen behind. It's not super good or anything but gotta remember that we have McDonagh and Skjei too so we don't need crazy LHD prospect depth.
I’m not high on any of those players besides Graves honestly. Maybe Sjalin but he doesn’t seem close.

I’m still not convinced they are going to be able to sign McDonagh, but that remains to be seen. There are no scoring wingers in the system though. Nash is likely to leave, and right now their best solution is moving Miller up, which might work but remains to be seen, and opens up another hole. If they aren’t going in a position to be drafting Svechnikov or Zadina, the wing depth is not great in this draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Just to give my opinion in full, I think he's one of the better defenders in this draft. He's big, he's good positionally, he can hit, doesn't make many defense errors, and he's been playing against men for a few years now. I don't see much upside offensively, he can skate and move the puck enough that he's not a liability. Good player, but rounds 2-3 seems a lot more likely than a really high pick. Don't think he has enough upside offensively to justify a round 1 selection.

Reactions: McD37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA