Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
186b73.jpg
Stranger things have happened.

I just have a feeling that this draft will either be a total yawner, totally conventional. Or it will be one of the most memorable drafts in NHL history.

Either way, the Rangers have set themselves up to do very well.

Reactions: GregSirico

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That comparison is like when people compared McIlrath to Shea Webber
Those comparisons were silly then, and silly now. McIlrath never had an iota of offense to his game, while Weber’s shot was always a weapon.

The key part of the whole Keith/Seabrook thing was that I originally said he has the potential to be that if everything goes perfectly. It was an unrealistic expectation and shouldn’t be used as a real comparison for Wilde.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don’t disagree, and that’s what I’d prefer them to do. However, I still think they opt for at least one degree of certainty with one of their picks (assuming they don’t get into the top-3). Then again, I guess it depends on who comes across as a “sure NHLer.” IMO, the guys with the highest floors who should have some form of an NHL career are Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Thomas, McIsaac, and McLeod. I wouldn’t want any of these kids with our first pick, and I’m not even sure if they’re around by the late 20s, but I at least see these kids having careers at least of being bottom-6ers with room for improvement.

Is that what I want? No, but I’m guessing that Clark and co err on the side of caution a bit. I hope I’m wrong about that.

Why wouldn't you want Kotkaniemi if NYR's pick is, say, 10th overall?

Reactions: Bozle

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Because I’d rather go for Wilde or Farabee over Kotkaniemi if they’re on the board. Not a knock against Kotkaniemi, it’s just that I prefer the other two more. I don’t think Kotkaniemi at 10 is a bad pick at all

Agreed. I actually think Kotkaniemi would be the best of the three you mentioned. I love Farabee, but the college commitment thing has me worried.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Agreed. I actually think Kotkaniemi would be the best of the three you mentioned. I love Farabee, but the college commitment thing has me worried.
Maybe, but I’ve been consistent in wanting Farabee/Wilde, so I may as well stick to it

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks....

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (10) LW: Joel Farabee (USA) (5'9"/160lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 Boston Uni. Commit*
1 (29) D: Nils Lundkvist (SWE) (5'9"/174lbs., Shot: Right, Lulea/SHL)
1 (30) D: Rasmus Sandin (SWE) (5'9"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Sault Ste. Marie/OHL) *18/19 Rogle/SHL Commit*

Draftsite didn't change, but I figured I try Tankathon. First simulation, got the 1st overall pick. It's a sign people!!!!

1 (1) D: Rasmus Dahlin (SWE) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Frolunda/SHL)
1 (29) C: Benoit-Olivier Groulx (CAN) (6'1"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Halifax/QMJHL)
1 (30) RW: Vitali Kravtsov (RUS) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Chelyabinsk/KHL)

Looks, as though, Lundkvist is being dropped in the 1st round now, but I love both he and Sandin with NYR's later 1sts. Groulx might drop out of the 1st round and into the 2nd. I wouldn't like that reach for NYR.
Kravtsov could be a steal at No. 30.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Lion Hound

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
First draft is a solid haul, reallllly like Sandin at 30. I think he could rise, though.

Agreed on Groulx, although he seems to be a pretty similar prospect to Morgan Frost, who looks like a steal for the Flyers.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Updated mocks....

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (10) LW: Joel Farabee (USA) (5'9"/160lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 Boston Uni. Commit*
1 (29) D: Nils Lundkvist (SWE) (5'9"/174lbs., Shot: Right, Lulea/SHL)
1 (30) D: Rasmus Sandin (SWE) (5'9"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Sault Ste. Marie/OHL) *18/19 Rogle/SHL Commit*

Draftsite didn't change, but I figured I try Tankathon. First simulation, got the 1st overall pick. It's a sign people!!!!

1 (1) D: Rasmus Dahlin (SWE) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Frolunda/SHL)
1 (29) C: Benoit-Olivier Groulx (CAN) (6'1"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Halifax/QMJHL)
1 (30) RW: Vitali Kravtsov (RUS) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Chelyabinsk/KHL)

Looks, as though, Lundkvist is being dropped in the 1st round now, but I love both he and Sandin with NYR's later 1sts. Groulx might drop out of the 1st round and into the 2nd. I wouldn't like that reach for NYR.
Kravtsov could be a steal at No. 30.

Thoughts?

Christmas in June!

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Of those three, Wilde, Kotkaniemi, Farabee in that order.

I'd counter with Kotkaniemi, Farabee, Wilde. All three are very good players, but there are a few question marks with all of them. I gave Kotkaniemi the edge since he's already in pro hockey and is tied with Puljujarvi's U17 production. Obvious question mark is coming to North America and how quickly. Farabee as No. 2 because of the college commitment delay. Otheriwse, he's a workhorse. Wilde has all the tools to be successful, but having higher end forwards gave the edge over him, IMO.

Also to note, I don't get some who worry on Wilde's potential. He plays fantastic offense, skates very well for a big boy and can defend. Think he could be a better version of Johnny Boychuk in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad