Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I’m hoping we have one win left in us against Buffalo. That will allow Carolina and the islanders to pull away on us.

The Oilers have 3 potential wins left in them two against the Canucks and one against Calgary. Which would push them ahead of us in the standings.

Chicago has maybe one win in them against the Islanders. But they have a tough schedule to finish the year so I doubt they pass us up here.

All things considered it looks very likely Edmonton and the Islanders can pass us up and land us at 8

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I’m hoping we have one win left in us against Buffalo. That will allow Carolina and the islanders to pull away on us.

The Oilers have 3 potential wins left in them two against the Canucks and one against Calgary. Which would push them ahead of us in the standings.

Chicago has maybe one win in them against the Islanders. But they have a tough schedule to finish the year so I doubt they pass us up here.

All things considered it looks very likely Edmonton and the Islanders can pass us up and land us at 8

Hell no i wanna win april 3rd. Especially if it means something

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Carolina can keep their gap and the Isles+Edmonton pass the Rangers I'd be more than content.

Saturday is as sure of a win as this team is going to have. If they drop both of the b2b against Washington and the game in Carolina next week they have a real shot at making the above happen.

I don't think they win any of the last 3 games of the season.
Carolina still scares me they barely won tonight and they can't beat us. their schedule is slightly easier than ours. It may come down to that game march 31 in carolina.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Farabee is easily #3, in my opinion. I think he's very overrated, not particularly dynamic, production is good, not great. When people have to talk about his work-ethic and stuff like that, I think thats telling of why he's not a top 15 pick. Good player, I just don't think he's a top 15 pick. Wilde and Kotkaniemi have higher ceilings, especially Wilde who could easily be a 1D. Farabee's potential at his position isn't close to that, in my opinion. Wilde's not that good defensively right now, in my opinion, and the hockey IQ is a problem, but he's so talented. Many defensemen in this draft struggle defensively and with their decision making. I think he can improve in those areas.

Could see the argument on all of them. Still think Kotkaniemi is the better prospect of the three, ATM.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Carolina still scares me they barely won tonight and they can't beat us. their schedule is slightly easier than ours. It may come down to that game march 31 in carolina.

Arizona has been anything but a pushover lately.

As long as they don't start Darling against the Rangers next week I think they have a shot. Not that Ward is great or anything but if he played in the last game against the Rangers, they probably win.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Updated mocks....

2018 NHL Mock Draft | 2018 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (10) LW: Joel Farabee (USA) (5'9"/160lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 Boston Uni. Commit*
1 (29) D: Nils Lundkvist (SWE) (5'9"/174lbs., Shot: Right, Lulea/SHL)
1 (30) D: Rasmus Sandin (SWE) (5'9"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Sault Ste. Marie/OHL) *18/19 Rogle/SHL Commit*

Draftsite didn't change, but I figured I try Tankathon. First simulation, got the 1st overall pick. It's a sign people!!!!

1 (1) D: Rasmus Dahlin (SWE) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Frolunda/SHL)
1 (29) C: Benoit-Olivier Groulx (CAN) (6'1"/189lbs., Shot: Left, Halifax/QMJHL)
1 (30) RW: Vitali Kravtsov (RUS) (6'2"/182lbs., Shot: Left, Chelyabinsk/KHL)

Looks, as though, Lundkvist is being dropped in the 1st round now, but I love both he and Sandin with NYR's later 1sts. Groulx might drop out of the 1st round and into the 2nd. I wouldn't like that reach for NYR.
Kravtsov could be a steal at No. 30.

Thoughts?

The lates Kravtsov survives on this draft, will be Washington's 1st. The kid has already said, his dream is to play on the same team with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. There is no chance Washington will pass on him.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
As a fan (not an insider) the ideal scenario that is stuck in my head is that we get another top 10 pick and manage to draft Quinn Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom.

Hughes is an incredible talent, My amateurish and very limited view of the top dozen players in the draft ranks him as the 3rd best player in the draft. Truly impressive. Not a Brian Leetch, but just a notch below. On the other hand, Wahlstrom's shoot-skate-shoot-score style fits the modern game perfectly. So many players like him are succeeding. His physical readiness and fit with the Rangers don't hurt either. I have him as the 6th best player in the draft. But there is a chance we could get both of them with picks ranging from 7-10 as Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Zadina and why not even Kotkaniemi, Veleno and Kravtsov may be drafted before them.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Q. Hughes
4. Zadina
5. Boqvist
6. Wahlstrom
7-13: Ty Smith, Bouchard, Dobson, Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Farabee, Kravtsov

A couple of months ago I promoted picking Veleno, who I think is damn good, with our later first rounders but that ship sailed. I really have not seen the other players available late in the first round enough to comment on them.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
As a fan (not an insider) the ideal scenario that is stuck in my head is that we get another top 10 pick and manage to draft Quinn Hughes and Oliver Wahlstrom.

Hughes is an incredible talent, My amateurish and very limited view of the top dozen players in the draft ranks him as the 3rd best player in the draft. Truly impressive. Not a Brian Leetch, but just a notch below. On the other hand, Wahlstrom's shoot-skate-shoot-score style fits the modern game perfectly. So many players like him are succeeding. His physical readiness and fit with the Rangers don't hurt either. I have him as the 6th best player in the draft. But there is a chance we could get both of them with picks ranging from 7-10 as Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Zadina and why not even Kotkaniemi, Veleno and Kravtsov may be drafted before them.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Q. Hughes
4. Zadina
5. Boqvist
6. Wahlstrom
7-13: Ty Smith, Bouchard, Dobson, Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Farabee, Kravtsov

A couple of months ago I promoted picking Veleno, who I think is damn good, with our later first rounders but that ship sailed. I really have not seen the other players available late in the first round enough to comment on them.
You're missing Tkachuk.

But that is my top 6 as well, if not necessarily in the same order.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Unfortunately there is little change we get Hughes unless he falls or we trade up... he'll be in the 4-7 range and in all likelihood we'll be drafting either 1-3 or 8-11 (unless some miracle happens and every team under us wins majority of their games and we lose every one). Same with Wahlstrom

If we end up 8th we'll have some seriously good options still left, so I won't be too heartbroken. I'm really, really hoping for a lottery pick though

Reactions: bl02

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I hope they lose every game except the one that knocks the Devils out of the playoffs.

Reactions: bl02

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Dahlin's stickhandling honestly reminds me of Datsyuk's. He won't stickhandle at lightning speed like McDavid, but instead he'll do it like Datsyuk. In creative, subtle, precise ways. He's so deft with it.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Good weekend for Hockey, and will be a good look at two of the prospects we have discussed here in Length.

Boston University plays Cornell Saturday at 1pm. BU team has a lot of potential future NHL talent on it. Shane Bowers(Avs, via Sens in the Duchene trade) , Dante Fabbro(Preds- Was rumored for Nash at one point), Jake Oettinger(Stars) , Jordan Greenway(Wild) , Brandon Hickey(Coyotes) , Logan Cockerill( Islanders) etc. They of course also have 2018 Draft Eligible Brady Tkachuk. If anyone wants to get a look at young Mr Tkachuk, they play Sat at 1pm vs Cornell. Game will be aired on ESPNews which I believe it like channel 216 on Optimum.

Michigan plays Northeastern on Saturday as well at 4:30. Michigan like BYU is loaded with some potential NHL Talent. Luke Martin (Canes), John Norris (Sharks), Will Lockwood (Nucks), Anyone wanting to get a look at Quinn Hughes, he of course is also on Michigan.

If BU and Michigan advance they will meet in the Northeast Regional on Sunday in Worchester Ma.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Three other RHD that might be underrated are Axel Andersson, Alec Regula, and Libor Zabransky. Andersson's stats in SuperElite are just stupid for a defenseman, and Zabransky is in a good Kelowna program. Regula plays for London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad