"Draft and Develop" or "All In": What's next for the Jets?

What main direction should the Jets take now to get to the level of a true contender?

• Total voters

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think makes the top list based on his short tenure.
He didn't have time to do the kind of damage on the ice to the Jets that some other players did.

Also is it the average of their career with us or simply the pinnacle of their awfulness. ;)
Tough call there. I’m inclined to go over the course of a career which it would likely to go to Marc Stuart but you make a great point about the pinnacle of awfulness. So many candidates

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would have preferred to see Heinola with the Jets, but once Stanley showed he deserved games I think that sealed Heinola's fate. There was no way they were going to sit Forbort for Stanley and Heinola. Beyond everything else, it could have been an issue for internal dynamics to sit a D like Forbort for a couple of rookies, especially since the Jets had been very successful with Forbort on the Pionk pair.

I'm sure that the Jets would have preferred to leave Heinola with the Moose when he wasn't 8n the line-up but Covid forced them to keep him with the Jets in case needed. Not an ideal situation, but driven by logistics.

The think that helped with Ville is he got the 19 games in SM-liiga, a full month with heavy usage in the WJC, 19 games in the AHL and 5 with the Jets so it kind of added up for him. In another world it would have been great if Ville got about 20 + NHL games but I guess we preserved the ELC.

Either way he is going to have to kick the door down to earn a spot with Paul. I think Samberg will have a much easier time getting on PMo’s trusted side because of body type.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this off season now that Paul has let Chevy know it’s time to get help for Josh. :sarcasm:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
As far as Risto paing up with JMo...you don't want Risto playing against the other teams' top lines. JMO is good but not good enough yet to carry his partner. I hope Chevy steers clear of Risto. I think Manson would be way better but the chance he comes here and then re-signs is very slim.
If we can't talk Hamilton into coming here and there are no other 1RHD available, I am happy with DD as JMo's partner.
We have to upgrade Pionk's partner by a country mile. Hopefully Heinola or Slamberg is Pionk's partner next year. I think Heinola played a fair amount of time with Pionk when he had his 8 games?
I would be ok with Stanimal and Poolman on the 3rd pairing but I'm not sure what Chevy has in mind for Poolman and/or the 3RHD.
If Hamonic played for 900k I'd sign him but I doubt Chevy would. Maybe Kovs and Poolman share the 3RHD next year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The think that helped with Ville is he got the 19 games in SM-liiga, a full month with heavy usage in the WJC, 19 games in the AHL and 5 with the Jets so it kind of added up for him. In another world it would have been great if Ville got about 20 + NHL games but I guess we preserved the ELC.

Either way he is going to have to kick the door down to earn a spot with Paul. I think Samberg will have a much easier time getting on PMo’s trusted side because of body type.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this off season now that Paul has let Chevy know it’s time to get help for Josh. :sarcasm:
Agree. I think it was a decent development season for Heinola, all things considered. He'll come back a bit faster and a bit stronger next season and be more ready to play a full-time role.

Remember that Heinola's ELC slide means that his contract ends at the same time as Wheeler, which might be when he gets a big second deal.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As far as Risto paing up with JMo...you don't want Risto playing against the other teams' top lines. JMO is good but not good enough yet to carry his partner. I hope Chevy steers clear of Risto. I think Manson would be way better but the chance he comes here and then re-signs is very slim.
If we can't talk Hamilton into coming here and there are no other 1RHD available, I am happy with DD as JMo's partner.
We have to upgrade Pionk's partner by a country mile. Hopefully Heinola or Slamberg is Pionk's partner next year. I think Heinola played a fair amount of time with Pionk when he had his 8 games?
I would be ok with Stanimal and Poolman on the 3rd pairing but I'm not sure what Chevy has in mind for Poolman and/or the 3RHD.
If Hamonic played for 900k I'd sign him but I doubt Chevy would. Maybe Kovs and Poolman share the 3RHD next year?
I agree. If DD is Morrissey's partner that's fine, maybe as a 2nd pair. I actually think Pionk might be okay for a top pair with a strong LD partner. Samberg seems a natural, but I doubt he'll be ready next year. I wonder about a year of Ekholm at LD, or maybe the Jets try to stay competitive with their current young D and try to acquire Ekholm at the TDL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah I will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think that you are correct that Heinola will be on the outside looking in due to player type preferences by our coach.

It's one reason why I think he might be the major future piece dangled for that RD to play with JoMo.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Poolman is God awful. Hopefully Chevy just let's him walk into the sunset.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Agree. I think it was a decent development season for Heinola, all things considered. He'll come back a bit faster and a bit stronger next season and be more ready to play a full-time role.

Remember that Heinola's ELC slide means that his contract ends at the same time as Wheeler, which might be when he gets a big second deal.
Wheeler’s contract status has nothing to do with Heinola’s next contract.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Every substantial contract is relevant for other contracts in a cap world. Teams that are good at managing the cap are careful to synchronize the timing. It would be negligent to not consider contract timing.
In that sense every contract is equally important. Heinola gets paid what he earns.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In that sense every contract is equally important. Heinola gets paid what he earns.
I think you're missing my point. At the time the Jets need to sign Heinola to his second contract they'll have Wheeler's 8+M cap hit expired, giving them more space to give Heinola a long term deal. If Heinola needs a new contract a year before Wheeler's contract expires, the Jets will have considerably less cap space to work with.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yes but it's easier to fit a big second contract or a bridged Heinola in three years when Wheeler's $8 million comes off the book.

Clearly Chevy and the Jets are likely going to try to optimize the next 3 years as those are the last three years of Wheeler, Scheifele, and Helle's deals.

It's easier to ice a better team in year three if Heinola and Perfetti are still on ELC then if they were on a bridge or long term bigger money deal as one or both would be had we played them all year.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah I will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think that you are correct that Heinola will be on the outside looking in due to player type preferences by our coach.

It's one reason why I think he might be the major future piece dangled for that RD to play with JoMo.
It’s too bad that people value size so much. Heinola is going to be a star defenseman imo.

Reactions: buggs

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s too bad that people value size so much. Heinola is going to be a star defenseman imo.

I dont know about star but he definitely will be a good dmen.

I'd rather it be with us but I don't trust Maurice will want to use him if he can rather have his big guys.

Last edited:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
R-ndy Jones says he can have that title when he pries it from his cold dead fingers.

Randy Jones is a contender. For a team that has had stalwarts such as Mark Flood, Derek Meech, Brent Festerling, Julian Melchiori, Keaton Ellerby, Jay Harrison, Julien Brouillette, Ben Strait and Nelson Nogier all play more than a dozen games for them......some debate is here to be had for sure.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Even star defensemen at that size can get exposed once you get to the 2nd round of the playoffs. And Heinola is a ways away from that still.

All the forwards forechecking and back checking, hard and smart. Forwards that can get to the other team's net. Defense being able to protect the front of your own net. And great goaltending. That's how you win in the playoffs.

We dont need more size or more skill on defense, we need some guys with both. All imo of course.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

You need a little of both - and that doesn't mean skilled little guys and large plugs.
Yes, you value each and I don't think anyone is over valuing either - we just happen be short on skilled guys with some size

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I dont know about star but he definitely will be a good dmen.

I'd rather it be with us but I don't trust Maurice will want to use him if he can rather have his big guys.

Mo already has smaller guys in the D line up so I don't understand this comment.
It's not either / or - he likely wants some of both and that's a good approach.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad