Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton; RHD

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
On Wideman and Russell, I think they could play on the 2ND Pp together but they need to be broken up at even strength they have allowed so many golden chances thus far, every game outside of game two could of been worse.

That 2-1 Goal said it all. Wideman shoots the puck wide and next thing you know it's a rush the other way.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That 2-1 Goal said it all. Wideman shoots the puck wide and next thing you know it's a rush the other way.

It wasn't just that he shot wide. He recognized there was no shooting lane, so he went to put it deep, but he picked an awful direction to shoot the puck. Behind all our forwards, and off the boards for a hard kick. There was never any chance we'd recover that puck.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Some outside perspective on the Hamilton thing.

When Suter signed with the Wild, he talked about it in an interview that it takes typically 20 games to get used to a new system but he needed to do it in ten. And he did it, it took exactly ten games. During that first ten game stretch his performance was not great, and a lot of people were saying Suter is an awful player and the signing was a mistake.

I dug up one of the GDTs from those days. Query Suter and you'll se what I mean. There's a PGT link at the end where the discussion continues. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1332429

Wait 20 games and re-evaluate. Hamilton was known to have flaws in his defensive game, but this six game stretch probably isn't a good indication of his talent.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Dougie will be fine. He's a young defenseman, they're insanely streaky. Going from one system to another is never easy, either.

I guarantee you that in a week or two, Hamilton will go on a 10-15 game stretch where he looks like one of the better #1Ds in the league. Will put up 2 points every game, skate circles around everyone, and play great defense. He'll follow that up with a 5-10 game stretch where he doesn't know which end is the offensive zone and which end is the defensive zone. Rinse and repeat. He's still piecing everything together. As much as I want to bear a grudge on him, he was one of my favorite players in Boston. He's not a guy you'll like if you're low on patience. But he'll pan out. Might take him 2-3 years to get there but he'll be worth it.

BrewHouse

Oct 22, 2013
I'm scared for a Russell-Hamilton pairing.

Why? It's not like it's the 78th game of the season and the Flames are on the bubble for a playoff spot. Might as well change things up and see what happens while it's still early.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

When Suter signed with the Wild, he talked about it in an interview that it takes typically 20 games to get used to a new system but he needed to do it in ten. And he did it, it took exactly ten games. During that first ten game stretch his performance was not great, and a lot of people were saying Suter is an awful player and the signing was a mistake.

I dug up one of the GDTs from those days. Query Suter and you'll se what I mean. There's a PGT link at the end where the discussion continues. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1332429

Wait 20 games and re-evaluate. Hamilton was known to have flaws in his defensive game, but this six game stretch probably isn't a good indication of his talent.

Logic, thanks for sharing!

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada

Thanks for the post! Really rare to find positive outside perspectives on HFboards. :) We really need some right now... xD

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Remember those guys?

Dougie Hamilton does.

“The biggest thing — just their relentless attack,†Hamilton says of facing those Flames. “The forecheck was tough. The forwards were skating hard at all times and you didn’t have much time to make plays.

“But I guess that’s not really what it’s like right now.â€
“It’s everything,†says Hamilton, sitting in his dressing-room stall at the Saddledome. “I don’t think there’s really one part of our game that’s the problem — or one thing that we’re really doing that well. I think it’s everything. We have to be better in all aspects.

“We’re working hard, but it’s in our heads right now. There’s not a lot of easy plays out there, not a lot of easy puck movement — it’s all hesitation and questioning things.

“Nobody really knows what’s going on.â€
The towering blue-liner, quite rightly, declines to let himself off the hook.

Hamilton and partner Mark Giordano own identical stat-line eyesores — six games, one goal, minus-six, and, chillingly, minus-seven on home ice. At times, No. 27 has looked baffled.

“Obviously, it’s clear I’m not playing my best hockey,†Hamilton says. “Right now for me — and the whole team — it’s kind of disjointed. I don’t think there’s any fluidity in our game … and consistency.

“I guess that starts with me. I’ll have to try to fix that.â€
Hamilton is asked if he is feeling comfortable.

“I bet you every single guy is not feeling comfortable right now,†he replies. “It’s hard hockey right now. Not a lot of easy plays — (not a lot of) clean breakouts or puck movement in the offensive zone and the neutral zone. As far as myself, it’s the same thing.â€
Hamilton, meanwhile, is anxious to resume the level of play that had him rated amongst the best young defenders in the NHL.

“New contract, new team, more expectations, I don’t think that changes things,†says Hamilton, who was minus-three, with 42 points, last season in Boston. “At the end of the day, it’s just hockey. I’ve still got to try to play the same way. I’ve just got to get back to playing my game.â€
Dougie Hamilton trying to find his groove: 'I'm not playing my best hockey'

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Dougie will be fine. He's a young defenseman, they're insanely streaky. Going from one system to another is never easy, either.

I guarantee you that in a week or two, Hamilton will go on a 10-15 game stretch where he looks like one of the better #1Ds in the league. Will put up 2 points every game, skate circles around everyone, and play great defense. He'll follow that up with a 5-10 game stretch where he doesn't know which end is the offensive zone and which end is the defensive zone. Rinse and repeat. He's still piecing everything together. As much as I want to bear a grudge on him, he was one of my favorite players in Boston. He's not a guy you'll like if you're low on patience. But he'll pan out. Might take him 2-3 years to get there but he'll be worth it.

The input is appreciated. Hopefully he puts it together sooner rather than later; we had him pegged as our third Norris calibre defenseman for this season. ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So wait, you're telling me that a 22 year old dman that faces the best competition in the NHL, game in and game out and is trying to learn a new system struggles defensively at times? That's earth shaking news right there.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How bout that bust Johnny Gaudreau and his first 6 games as a flame last season :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Your logic be damned, damned I say!

After six games it's clear that he's awful.
55582817.jpg

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011

Following Dougie since his rookie year because I have it in my keeper since then.
I couldn't have said it better. That's exactly how he is. I call it a lack of experience, most defensemen become studs around 24-25 years old, give him another 1-2 years before reaching this stability.

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
1. The Flames have awful down to a science. Give them credit. If you are going to suck, SUCK!
2. Would a human sacrifice be too harsh at this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad