Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton; RHD

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He's a stud, he's everything Jbo should have been. Big, smooth skating dman, is a little chippy, has a fantastic shot and makes excellent reads/passes. He's also pretty solid in his own end. Now that he's learned our system, he's really playing to his strengths. TBH, the last 15 games or so, he's looked as good if not better than Gio IMO.

That's a good way to put it, although I would say JBo was more defensively consistent (granted, he was older so it doesn't mean Hamilton can't get there).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He needs to be more assertive. He has the skills to be a dominant player with the puck. He just hasn't shown it yet fully. The St. Louis game a while back, he showed just how Good he can be when he's feeling it.
Just like Brodie at that age, he just needs to realize how good he is. Then apply that on a game to game basis.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
The last half of the contract is where I really think Dougie will shine. At like 26 years old, pretty much fully formed into his frame, more likely to be more confident in his size.

FeyWest

May 14, 2014
He needs to be more assertive. He has the skills to be a dominant player with the puck. He just hasn't shown it yet fully. The St. Louis game a while back, he showed just how Good he can be when he's feeling it.
Just like Brodie at that age, he just needs to realize how good he is. Then apply that on a game to game basis.

I've seen it a lot more recently, he's been good at edging guys off the puck and getting position on the boards

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think everyone's quick to forget that the kid's only 22 years old! I think he's been our best Dman not named Brodie over the past 25 games or so; so much potential, but I think the guy could already be a #2.

I'm excited to see how this guy'll look when he's 24/25. He has #1 written all over him IMO. He has the skating, offensive instincts... but now he's adding in great defensive positioning, and even some mean. Always happy to see that!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think everyone's quick to forget that the kid's only 22 years old! I think he's been our best Dman not named Brodie over the past 25 games or so; so much potential, but I think the guy could already be a #2.

I'm excited to see how this guy'll look when he's 24/25. He has #1 written all over him IMO. He has the skating, offensive instincts... but now he's adding in great defensive positioning, and even some mean. Always happy to see that!

If he could play a JBo type defense (good stick work, positioning and nasty crosschecks), I'd be absolutely thrilled. His offensive instincts are #1 caliber for sure.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he could play a JBo type defense (good stick work, positioning and nasty crosschecks), I'd be absolutely thrilled. His offensive instincts are #1 caliber for sure.

I made that comment earlier this season. He didn't have to be Pronger out there, or some kind of early day Dion Phaneuf; all he needed to do was simplify his defensive game, because his offensive game more than makes up for a simplistic own-end defence.

He's done that really well. I can't remember a game in a long time that he was beaten clean or way out of position.

snowrunner*

Sep 15, 2006
Oiler fan coming in peace...

Would you guys trade us Hamilton for a Centre??? Assuming you don't get Mathews. Leon or Ryan Nugent Hopkins, then we could both get on with the battle of Alberta in the playoffs?

moon*

Would you guys trade us Hamilton for a Centre??? Assuming you don't get Mathews. Leon or Ryan Nugent Hopkins, then we could both get on with the battle of Alberta in the playoffs?

Why do we need a center?

I much, much prefer having Hamilton than putting Bennett on the 3rd line or as a winger.

If we get Matthews without giving something up then I guess we look at moving Bennett to the wing but no way to I move a guy like Hamilton to do it.

And even if Bennett is a full time winger no thanks to a Hamilton for RNH trade anyways.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011

I'd totally move him for Draisaitl but it'll be a cold day in Hell before a trade of this magnitude happens between the two of us. :nod:

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I've been on Dougie's side all year long. He's only 22. Give him time to grow. He's going to be great for us and don't forget about his size which is what the Flames need!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Hamilton for Draisaitl would be very interesting for sure. I don't know if I would do it, but the idea is interesting.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
We are already set with Monahan and Bennett down the middle and need Hamilton more than another centre.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We are already adding a top 6 forward in this draft. That gives us 4 F 3 D and a goalie that doesn't exist yet as our core.
We need depth now more than anything. Especially upfront.

moon*

Hamilton for Draisaitl would be very interesting for sure. I don't know if I would do it, but the idea is interesting.

If we drafted Chychrun then I would be much ore open to the idea of trading Hamilton for Drasaitl (doubt Edmonton does it anyways) but if we are adding a forward in the draft then I see defense as being a bigger issue since our forwards would already have Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau and the 1st. That is a pretty solid core to build around and you could then plug in ok vets (like Frolik) rather than needing top level guys for the top 6.

But as mentioned I doubt Edmonton ever trades Draisaitl for Hamilton anyways so it is a moot point.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why do we need a center?

I much, much prefer having Hamilton than putting Bennett on the 3rd line or as a winger.

If we get Matthews without giving something up then I guess we look at moving Bennett to the wing but no way to I move a guy like Hamilton to do it.

And even if Bennett is a full time winger no thanks to a Hamilton for RNH trade anyways.

At first, I agreed. Then I realized, it might be interesting (at this stage of both player devs) to do a swivel centre system with Draisaitl and Bennett which would allow us to trade Backlund plus semi address our top 6 winger conundrum. (Both can be C/LW swapping back and forth)

Would consider it if we land Chychrun maybe... but I think I might even prefer to trade Chychrun for Draisaitl than Hamilton. However, gun to my head, me being greedy would probably prefer to keep our pieces and D depth and just watch Edmonton continue their search for a 1D. I personally feel like Minny or Vanc is where Edmonton may find that 1D.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would trade Hamilton for klefbom + yak (realistic)/ebs (gotta consider the treliving bonus) all day

moon*

I would trade Hamilton for klefbom + yak (realistic)/ebs (gotta consider the treliving bonus) all day

No thanks.

Klefblom is insanely overrated and that Eberle deal is awful. I am sure I would look great playing with McDavid, outside that Eberle has looked for ordinary and may be the worst of all the Oilers big guys in terms of defense and effort (Yak has worse defense but more effort so pick your poison between those two idiots as to who is worse.) Yak is obviously a pile of dung so no need to bring him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad