Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton; RHD

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Dougie what a bust man, he's terrible and will never improve, fire that red-headed bum

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
which has no relevance to Hamilton inparticular.

I know, I'm just being facetious. :D

Back on topic, I think the main thing to keep in mind right now is that there's no way Hamilton is this bad. He's looked almost as lost in the offensive zone as the defensive zone, and we know that he at least has offensive skills he can bring to the table.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
How does everyone feel about Dougie now? I've been very impressed with him over the last 10 games or so. He isn't flashy but he makes a ton of smart plays, he's been more active, he hasn't been getting caught out of position very often at all. I think the offense will come in time. But it's nice to see the rest of his game coming together.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
How does everyone feel about Dougie now? I've been very impressed with him over the last 10 games or so. He isn't flashy but he makes a ton of smart plays, he's been more active, he hasn't been getting caught out of position very often at all. I think the offense will come in time. But it's nice to see the rest of his game coming together.

He's been much better lately for sure now that he's getting used to playing a different system than the Bruins. I think he just needed time to adjust from the difference in play from Eastern to Western conference. Its a much harder game here and you get less time and space.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Like:
- Play along the boards in D-zone to break the cycle. Seems to have a positive influence on Russell's play too IMO.
- Ability to protect puck away from forecheckers and make a play.
- Shot actually reaches net. Already an upgrade over Wideman.

Meh:
Skating. I know he's 6'5 but I think he was advertised as a better skater than he really is.
Vision/passing in offensive zone. Doesn't seem to be overly creative.
Doesn't seem to be great at using his stick or blocking shots defensively.
"Pinching sense" pretty inconsistent. Needs to improve his reads, sometimes pinches when he shouldn't, sometimes doesn't pinch when he should. JMO.

Dislike:
The Taylor Hall and TJ Oshie goals were purely him being outmuscled. Can't blame that on systems play or new team. Needs to get stronger base without losing footspeed. Those goals just can't happen. Ever.
Outlet passing still needs work.
Drop passes in offensive zone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Biggest drawback on Hamilton right now is stick-handling. Russell is way shiftier in the offensive-zone. If Hamilton wants to become a legit offensive thread, he's going to need to learn to walk the blue-line and create space for himself. Right now if he gets the puck and there's not shooting lane or passing lane right away, he's toast.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

He now looks like an actual second pairing dman rather than an AHL callup, which is nice. That said, he's got quite a ways to go before he's worth his cap hit.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He has certainly been better, although still not playing with a ton of confidence IMO. Dougie should get a lot of rope, he came from a strong system team with an established core to a team that is very much still building an identity and has stumbled early this season. Really like him with Russell actually, they have good complimentary games.

Don't think we'll have a clear view of what the Flames have in Hamilton until at least half way through next season. He's 22 and still has a lot to learn.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He struggled immensely for roughly 8 games (it was hard to watch) to begin the year, but other than that outside of TJ Brodie he has been arguably our second best defensemen over the past 12 or so games.

Again..I don't think Hartley has put him in much of a position to live up to his full abilities.

Dougie is first and foremost an offensive defensemen and is known to be a player that is confidence driven. He currently sits 5th among flames defensemen in PP time per game with just 1:32, and a few big points and a sense of trust from his coach would likely go along ways in getting his "swagger" back in all area's.

Wideman and Hamilton should have there roles and minutes swapped at this point.

My bigger concern at this point is definitely the captain..

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Dougie is plenty fast. I think the difference of late is that he's been playing a much more simple and conservative game so he hasn't been showcasing his wheels as much by skating the puck up the ice. He can definitely fly.

For example in contrast, Brodie knows the system inside and out and knows when to pinch or just lead the rush up the ice so his speed is on display much more often. I think Dougie is going to play it safe until his conformtability increases and he's not constantly 2nd guessing himself,

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Rational minds: give Dougie 15-20 games to figure it out.

He's been the best dman outside of Brodie over the past 5-8 games now; confidence, great instincts, simplifying his play on the defensive side of things.

This kid is oozing with talent, and he's starting to show it. By the end of the season I think most people will be thinking Dougie/Brodie as the top two in Calgary (not playing together but just ranking).

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Just maybe 10 games ago there were at least two Hamilton bashing threads on the main boards. If you said that it's been only 10 games and Hamilton is learning the new system, you didn't get any replies.

And please, do not bump those threads now.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Once Wideman and Russell's minutes are up for grabs due to their departure, Hamilton will get those minutes and thrive.

and yes he's been quite a bit better lately

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Never liked this guy...maybe it had to do with him being on the Bruins, always thought he looked like a tool and he still does...but I'd kind of like to see him have success now that he's on the lames.

I remember some flames fan mentioning that Ryan Suter once said it takes about 20 games to adjust to a system...maybe that would explain Hamilton's rough start.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Never liked this guy...maybe it had to do with him being on the Bruins, always thought he looked like a tool and he still does...but I'd kind of like to see him have success now that he's on the lames.

I remember some flames fan mentioning that Ryan Suter once said it takes about 20 games to adjust to a system...maybe that would explain Hamilton's rough start.

Yeah, and to be fair he's progressed from "steaming pile of garbage" to "I expect more" since the start of the season. So he's got that going for him, which is kind of nice.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Seems he's been playing more PP than the start, how's he looked lately?

A lot better lately, especially offensively. He's getting a lot of shots off, but it seems either he or Hartley are hesitant to let loose, he could/should definitely be skating the puck up the ice more. Still has the odd mishap defensively, but he's getting his positioning down alright.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Did anyone catch that infographic last night regarding Hamslice's +/- between the first X games and then the next Y games?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Did anyone catch that infographic last night regarding Hamslice's +/- between the first X games and then the next Y games?

I was at the game last night so I didn't catch that, but I did look up his stats today purely out of curiosity.

First 9 games
1 goal
0 assists
1 points
-11 ( 6 games with a minus rating )
14 shots on net ( 1.55 shots per game )
12 PIMS ( 6 minor penalties )

Last 19 games
2 goals
6 assists
8 points
+8 ( Only 2 games with a minus rating )