Value of: Doughty to Toronto

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs fan

First off, let's pump the brakes here. Drew Doughty is easily worth more than Nylander/Marner, and if our management were offered DD, for either piece straight up, they wouldn't even have to think about it... it would be a simple yes, done.

LA only does this, if they are committed to a long-term rebuild, in which case they want young pieces, prospects and picks. I doubt they are close to such a conclusion, though from the outside.... we each have our own opinions.

In the end, the right deal would be one that would disappoint LA fans, and make Toronto fans gasp at what they would give up. It most certainly would not cripple Toronto, but would ensure that their window is now, and has less time.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
TSN 1050 talked about the potential of a deal happening.

No they did not. What they said was that unless a player like Doughty decides to force a trade to the Leafs, they aren't going to get a player like him. They said it sarcastically (ie. that is the only way they get a guy like that, but that isn't going to happen). They then went on to say that the Leafs are going to need to draft and develop or perhaps find someone from outside the NHL (they specifically mentioned the KHL and how they got Zaitzev).

As soon as I heard it I knew someone here would post a thread misrepresenting what was actually said.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No they did not. What they said was that unless a player like Doughty decides to force a trade to the Leafs, they aren't going to get a player like him. They said it sarcastically (ie. that is the only way they get a guy like that, but that isn't going to happen). They then went on to say that the Leafs are going to need to draft and develop or perhaps find someone from outside the NHL (they specifically mentioned the KHL and how they got Zaitzev).

As soon as I heard it I knew someone here would post a thread misrepresenting what was actually said.

Aww you mean we aren't getting Doughty for Bozak and a 2nd.
Damn. Where is my eraser. I need to change the lines now. Thanks.:laugh:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Relax, I didn't get the bbcode right...some people.:shakehead

Apologies... I wasn't criticizing your posting at all... just that "sources", and joking that they were HFBoards.

What is interesting, is that this "was" his Real and verified twitter account. He was let go by ESPN and has a new one today, and this does not appear on his new account. I'm not sure the deal with the old twitter account, that was not a fake account.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
You guys actually follow fake twitter accounts that aren't confirmed and only have a few hundred to a couple thousand followers? And you never pause to think that maybe you're following a fake account?

Actually I wasn't following that account, it came across my BarDown app on my phone. My bad, I should have double checked that. :shakehead

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Apologies... I wasn't criticizing your posting at all... just that "sources", and joking that they were HFBoards.

What is interesting, is that this "was" his Real and verified twitter account. He was let go by ESPN and has a new one today, and this does not appear on his new account. I'm not sure the deal with the old twitter account, that was not a fake account.

I'm not sure that's true. That account has 8k followers - the old Pierre LeBrun account had a couple hundred thousand. Those followers didn't all leave within 12 hours. Pierre's new account now has those 600k followers. I'd say Pierre changed his twitter handle and someone else jumped in and took the new (old) one that he abandoned. I don't think that was ever his account, it's always been a fake.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga

I know right? Literally only a couple hours ago

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I' not sure that's true. That account has 8k followers - the old Pierre LeBrun account had a couple hundred thousand. Those followers didn't all leave within 12 hours. Pierre's new account now has those 600k followers. I'd say Pierre changed his twitter handle and someone else jumped in and took the new one.

That's the interesting part. His twitter handle has changed to @PierreVLeBrun, was his previous handle actually @Real_ESPNLeBrun before?

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

That can't be his old account. Look at the past tweets, they are YouTube ads. Don't think a professional would do something like that.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That's the interesting part. His twitter handle has changed to @PierreVLeBrun, was his previous handle actually @Real_ESPNLeBrun before?

Probably. Pierre simply changed his username to remove the ESPN part, he kept all of his followers. Someone else who's been faking LeBrun for a while, since they have 8k followers (and look at tweet history), saw that and changed their name to take over LeBrun's former real name. It's a fake account that's been around for years that LeBrun never actually used.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not sure that's true. That account has 8k followers - the old Pierre LeBrun account had a couple hundred thousand. Those followers didn't all leave within 12 hours. Pierre's new account now has those 600k followers. I'd say Pierre changed his twitter handle and someone else jumped in and took the new (old) one that he abandoned. I don't think that was ever his account, it's always been a fake.

No @Real_ESPNLeBrun was legit. Even with LeBrun's new account, if you go in and search for LeBrun, you will see that it still lists the _ESPNLeBrun as his account... but when you click on it, it directs to @PierreVLeBrun.

You are probably correct that someone grabbed the old account somehow though.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Just don't bother. LA would rightly demand some combination of Marner, Rielly, and/or Nylander and other pieces. Or Matthews straight up. So in other words... LA would demand more than most Toronto fans are willing to pay.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs fan

First off, let's pump the brakes here. Drew Doughty is easily worth more than Nylander/Marner, and if our management were offered DD, for either piece straight up, they wouldn't even have to think about it... it would be a simple yes, done.

LA only does this, if they are committed to a long-term rebuild, in which case they want young pieces, prospects and picks. I doubt they are close to such a conclusion, though from the outside.... we each have our own opinions.

In the end, the right deal would be one that would disappoint LA fans, and make Toronto fans gasp at what they would give up. It most certainly would not cripple Toronto, but would ensure that their window is now, and has less time.

We can't afford Drew Doughty in a trade because we would then be looking for the pieces we traded away. The only way we can get him and still be a contender is through UFA. That's it. So you have to hope he gets there and he's willing to listen to what the Leafs have to say.

Really depends on how the Leafs do next season, how the Kings do under new management and if Drew Doughty is satisfied with two cups and is okay being on a team that will still be a playoff contender but not necessarily a team that is a cup contender.

If I were Doughty, I'd stay in LA. IIRC, he actually grew up a Kings fan and LA is probably the best place to be if you are a millionaire.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Doughty for Marner+Rielly is fair value wise. Top 5 Dman cost a lot, especially ones who are 27 and aren't injury prone.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Doughty for Marner+Rielly is fair value wise. Top 5 Dman cost a lot, especially ones who are 27 and aren't injury prone.

Speaking strictly from a TO roster point of view, the difference between Rielly an Doughty is not Marner. Marner+? Sure, but adding Doughty while subtracting Rielly isn't the goal.

member 157595

Just don't bother. LA would rightly demand some combination of Marner, Rielly, and/or Nylander and other pieces. Or Matthews straight up. So in other words... LA would demand more than most Toronto fans are willing to pay.

I would give up Marner+ or Nylander+ for Drew Doughty without batting an eye, depending on the +. Unfortunately for us, there is no chance in hell Los Angeles would reciprocate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad