Value of: Doughty to Toronto

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Getting FIVE players (3 of them rookies, no less) with 60+ points is something that occurs seldom. "Likely to improve": statistically it's a big, fat nope.

It's statistically extremely unlikely that a top 5 offense has 3/5 of it's top scorers as rookies who are 20 or under, yet here we are. If you isolate the times that's happened (has it ever happened?) then see what happened to teams in similar positions, did the rate of their improvement far outweigh the average top 5 offense?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's statistically extremely unlikely that a top 5 offense has 3/5 of it's top scorers as rookies who are 20 or under, yet here we are. If you isolate the times that's happened (has it ever happened?) then see what happened to teams in similar positions, did the rate of their improvement far outweigh the average top 5 offense?

The defensive aspects of the game can improve greatly.
It's probably not feasible that Matthews is going to end up an 80 goal scorer because he scored 40 in his first year. It doesn't rise like that.
However rising from 69 points to 80 points (factor in linemate/team upgrades) along the way is very doable. Marinating the consistent offensive output while improving the 200 foot game is what we should be looking at.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The defensive aspects of the game can improve greatly.
It's probably not feasible that Matthews is going to end up an 80 goal scorer because he scored 40 in his first year. It doesn't rise like that.
However rising from 69 points to 80 points (factor in linemate/team upgrades) along the way is very doable. Marinating the consistent offensive output while improving the 200 foot game is what we should be looking at.

My comment was in reference to offense in isolation, and I wasn't talking about offensive improvement in exponential fashion, just marginal improvement from an already very good result because our best offensive players are so young and likely to improve from their rookie performances on average, while our veteran offensive players are likely to sustain near the same level of production

agree on improving the defense, just don't want to tear apart the offensive building blocks to do so, which is what the original comment was in reference to - I'm against trading for Doughty because it costs Nylander+Marner likely

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Wait for him to possibly hit the open market. I don't think it's guaranteed he re-signs in LA. The future of that franchise in terms of contending doesn't seem that strong. Doughty might want to move on and Toronto could be an attractive destination.

Doughty will be traded before this is allowed to happen. Then you would have to hope his new team doesn't re-sign him, which they would have every intent of doing after such a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad