Value of: Doughty to Toronto

mildlyominous

Apr 29, 2014
Ontario
With two years left at 7million per and the Kings having a fire sale of there management group, could a big change be made in LA. What is the chance the doughty is available and is he a good fit in Toronto? TSN 1050 talked about the potential of a deal happening. For the leafs they have to pay up big but its almsot a perfect fit. 2 more years left on doughty's contract meaning it expires right when you have to sign Matthews and some of the other big name rookies on the leafs. Obviously its a stretch for sure but the possibility COULD be there for a trade to happen. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
If he was available, that would mean LA is rebuilding and they'd want one of the big 3.

We can't afford it unless they take a bunch of picks and lesser prospects which they wouldn't

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not sure this qualifies as speculation without a link, though I've heard some of the same drive time filler

The price for Doughty in terms of trade pieces would be very harmful to the future of this franchise, takes at least one of the major building blocks and probably 2

mildlyominous

Apr 29, 2014
Ontario
I wouldnt say they have to rebuild, Kopitar and Quick are still in there prime and there real struggle isnt keeping the puck out of the net but rather putting it in the net. Leafs have a surplus of offensive catalyst that could be intriguing for the Kings. Rather then a rebuild it would be more of a retool

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If he was available, that would mean LA is rebuilding and they'd want one of the big 3.

We can't afford it unless they take a bunch of picks and lesser prospects which they wouldn't

I bet the Kings will want not just any of the big 3, but a certain one. Which Toronto won't trade.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
None.

IF there is any chance of him being moved, it is after this year and if he tells them to trade him right freaking now and hangs up the phone.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I wouldnt say they have to rebuild, Kopitar and Quick are still in there prime and there real struggle isnt keeping the puck out of the net but rather putting it in the net. Leafs have a surplus of offensive catalyst that could be intriguing for the Kings. Rather then a rebuild it would be more of a retool

A retool means moving some of the other pieces to make improvements. If Doughty is moved we are going full on rebuild as nothing we have comes close to filling the hole Drew would leave.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's gonna be a long couple of years.

If you trade Doughty, you have to trade everyone north of age 27, because it all falls apart without him. I know he's not the most popular player on this forum, but without him, this team is in the gutter. Kopitar is magic, but Doughty is the linchpin, two completely different Kings teams played this year, the one with Drew on the ice, and the one without.

I don't think him moving on to TO is that far fetched, but even as a given, you're gonna have to give up assets you don't want to. As for suggesting that will hurt TOs future, well, getting a top-3 defenseman in the game to shore up your top pairing and slot everyone correctly is easily more valuable than Willie Nylander.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I can't imagine he's available unless they are going to completely reconstruct to be good 5 years from now. There isn't a plausible scenario where the Kings trade away one of the best players in the game and get better.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Leafs don't want to trade any of their big 3

Kings don't want to trade Doughty

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He wont be moved and if by some chance he is expect to pay through the nose for one of the best/most hyped dmen in the league. 1 of Nylander/Marner+Reilly at minimum, which makes zero sense for TO they should stay the course and find a Stralman/Sekera/Zaitsev type of signing or trade for a good top 4 rather than a top 10 dman in the nhl.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
With two years left at 7million per and the Kings having a fire sale of there management group, could a big change be made in LA. What is the chance the doughty is available and is he a good fit in Toronto? TSN 1050 talked about the potential of a deal happening. For the leafs they have to pay up big but its almsot a perfect fit. 2 more years left on doughty's contract meaning it expires right when you have to sign Matthews and some of the other big name rookies on the leafs. Obviously its a stretch for sure but the possibility COULD be there for a trade to happen. What do you guys think?

The cost to acquire Doughty would be way to much....and Doughty won't be traded.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
A retool means moving some of the other pieces to make improvements. If Doughty is moved we are going full on rebuild as nothing we have comes close to filling the hole Drew would leave.

Yeah if you're going to re-tool, why move your best player and the one guy who can play at a high level for longer than the rest of your core...

I mean, would be amazing for T.O., as a leafs fan I would love it. But Matthews is untouchable.

As much as I think Nylander has improved and been very good for us, I would be willing to part with him in a blockbuster deal - but he's not enough for Doughty. What would the deal be?

Nylander + Gardiner + 1st? I don't think the Kings bite.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As much as I'd love to see Drew on the Leafs (any fan of any team would want him on their team) if the the Kings were thinking of moving him (they're not) would be asking far too much and rightfully so.

As a Leafs fan, we have to be patient. Trading picks/prospects is not the way to build a successful team.
If you believe you're that one player away from the cup, yeah sure you make a bold move. The Leafs are not there yet!

mildlyominous

Apr 29, 2014
Ontario

A retool is addressing your weakness and making changes to address those weaknesses while remaining competitive. If a trade is made that includes doughty to any team not just the leafs your asking for a younger d man in return. No you will not receive a d man of equal calibre to doughty but not only do you receive a d that is good but you also get someone who is establish as an offensive threat. The kings were 25th in GF/PG and 6th in GA/PG theres a weakness that needs to be addressed so that this team isnt forced to go into a rebuild (sound familiar Canucks fans?). In order to win games you gotta keep the puck out of your net AND put in the other teams net. Moving doughty for a established and solid d man and an elite goal scorer isnt something I view as completely ridiculous. Especially with the new management, no one knows what there direction will be so anything really is possible.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So Toronto wants to get a top 10 D-man in the league, and not give up anything of significant value.

LA wants cheap entry level scoring because of their cap situation, but isn't willing to part with Muzzin or Doughty.

:laugh:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think the only reasonable deals would be...

Matthews/Doughty
Doughty+Brown for Marner or Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad