Value of: Doughty to Toronto

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Zero chance Doughty would return a player of Nylander/Matthews/Marner calibre. Look for what Chris Pronger went for, both times. Nothing but futures and B level prospects at the time.

Star players never return they're supposed value in a trade, that's just the nature of the beast.

Pronger was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for forward Joffrey Lupul, defensive prospect Ladislav Šmíd, Anaheim's 2007 first-round draft pick (traded to the Phoenix Coyotes, picked Nick Ross), a conditional first-round draft pick (dependent on the Ducks reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in the next 3 years, which they did, becoming forward Jordan Eberle),[16] and Anaheim's 2008 second-round draft pick (later traded to the New York Islanders).

On June 27, 2009, Pronger, along with forward Ryan Dingle, was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for Lupul (earlier traded to Edmonton for Pronger in 2006), defenceman Luca Sbisa, two first round draft picks and a conditional third round draft pick.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Zero chance Doughty would return a player of Nylander/Matthews/Marner calibre. Look for what Chris Pronger went for, both times. Nothing but futures and B level prospects at the time.

Star players never return they're supposed value in a trade, that's just the nature of the beast.

Pronger was also already in his mid-30's by the time both of those trades happened and also requested a trade out of Edmonton. Doughty is in the middle of his prime at 27. If the Leafs want Doughty they will have to give up one of the Big 3 or Blake laughs and hangs up the phone.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Pronger was 32 at the time of the first trade, IIRC, and that was after he requested a trade, right? Something with his wife, or something like that?

Largely different than the Kings deciding to shop Doughty, which should and probably will never happen to begin with.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Don't see them trading him this summer. Their prospect pool is so terrible that they may as well push whatever established talent as far as they can go for another push. I can't see them being a contender again without a rebuild, so maybe this time next year they need to look at trading him, especially if he indicates that he wants to move on.

Brophy

Oct 18, 2007
Redondo Beach
With these "speculation" links, isnt there supposed to be some truth to them, like a link or something? Kings kinda **** the bed with all these recent maneuvers, here for the ride, jah take the wheel

Mar 26, 2010
Doughty is a stud #1 D. He makes any team better that he is on.

That being said, he is not available.

Matthews, Nylander, Marner are 100% untouchable no matter who is coming back. Not for sale.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Pronger was also already in his mid-30's by the time both of those trades happened. Doughty is in the middle of his prime at 27. If the Leafs want Doughty they will have to give up one of the Big 3 or Blake laughs and hangs up the phone.

Keep him then, I don't care. You're gonna be sorely disappointed if you expect one of Marner, Matthews, Nylander who any other young star similar to those if(when?) you move Doughty.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Keep him then, I don't care. You're gonna be sorely disappointed if you expect one of Marner, Matthews, Nylander who any other young star similar to those if(when?) you move Doughty.

You act like this is supposed to affect me? :laugh: the Kings will be perfectly fine keeping a top-5 defenseman.

The Leafs have literally nothing else of interest outside of the 3 to offer for Doughty. Your going to be sorely disappointed when you realize you can't acquire star players for scraps

I know many of you Leaf fans on here don't live in reality, but the reality is that teams aren't going to give up star players if they aren't getting something worthwhile in return.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
You act like this is supposed to affect me? :laugh: the Kings will be perfectly fine keeping a top-5 defenseman.

The Leafs have literally nothing else of interest outside of the 3 to offer for Doughty. Your going to be sorely disappointed when you realize you can't acquire star players for scraps

I know many of you Leaf fans on here don't live in reality, but the reality is that teams aren't going to give up star players if they aren't getting something worthwhile in return.

There's a difference between something worthwhile, and asking for elite players under the age of 20 in return. Hell, all three could be superstars as soon as next year. Why would the Leafs give that up for a defensemen who has already played his best hockey in all likelihood?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
There's a difference between something worthwhile, and asking for elite players under the age of 20 in return. Hell, all three could be superstars as soon as next year. Why would the Leafs give that up for a defensemen who has already played his best hockey in all likelihood?

Why would the Kings trade an established top-5 defenseman in the middle of his prime if they aren't getting a top prospect in return? There are probably 20 teams who could offer better packages for Doughty if the Leafs don't want to trade Marner or Nylander for him. What could Toronto offer that would be anywhere close to fair value without including one of them?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
And this is exactly why the Kings will make certain they return to the playoffs next year and the year thereafter. If they don't, Doughty will be moving on to a franchise which is moving up like Toronto, Edmonton, or even Buffalo (by then). The Kings are trapped by their current contracts and the virtual hostage situation that Doughty has over them. Not going to be pretty to watch if you are a Kings fan.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How about the Kings offer up Kempe, a 1st rounder, Gravel and a spare, useless 7th defenseman to Toronto for Matthews.

How's that for a conversation starter?

Not good because Nylander is worth more then all 4 things combined. Try to educate yourself about our players and what Nylander has accomplished this year. Great season and post-season.

Outscored all of your players minus Carter, barely.

So yeah, Nylander has tremendous value, he's still on his ELC.

If you have ideas on how to improve upon the trade, make a tangible contribution or else beat it.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
The Leafs definitely have the pieces required to acquire Doughty, but are Leafs fan comfortable with parting with Marner and Reilly? That's the type of package I think it would require to pry him away from LA.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I wouldnt say they have to rebuild, Kopitar and Quick are still in there prime and there real struggle isnt keeping the puck out of the net but rather putting it in the net. Leafs have a surplus of offensive catalyst that could be intriguing for the Kings. Rather then a rebuild it would be more of a retool

But, it would make zero sense to deal Doughty when he is the youngest (turns 28 in the final quarter of 2017) of the big 4, of Carter who turns 32 in 2017, Quick who turns 31 in 2017, and Kopitar who turns 30 in 2017.

If Doughty is moved, it means that a full on rebuild is under way in LA.

Carter - has 5 years left at $5.3 per season. Salary drops big time in the final 3 years. He gets $6.5, $5, then down to $3, $2, and $2 million over the 5 years.

Quick - 6 years left at $5.8 per season. $7 million cash for each of next 3 years, then drops to then $3.5, $3, $2.5.

Kopitar - 7 years left with $10 million cap hit.

LA would have to move these 3 first before they consider moving Doughty. Why keep 30 year olds and deal a 27/28 year old if you are doing a re-tool?

Makes no sense.

If you do rebuild, then you have to grab Marner from Toronto as he's an RFA for 6 years. (I'm including his ELC years). Reilly, down to 4 years, so would want the extra term on Marner.

But, I don't move only Doughty. It would have to be everyone in LA is gone before I move him

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oh man the amount leafs would have to give up would be terrifying... Leafs just need to be patient.. This was the one thing that worried me about Leafs making thr playoffs, that people think they must do massive trades NOW... People need to be patient.. Lou and crew will figure sonething out to imprive their dmen in time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad