Value of: Doughty to Toronto

mildlyominous

Apr 29, 2014
Ontario
So Toronto wants to get a top 10 D-man in the league, and not give up anything of significant value.

LA wants cheap entry level scoring because of their cap situation, but isn't willing to part with Muzzin or Doughty.

:laugh:

Who said the leafs wouldn't give anything of significant value up? The leafs have a plethora of young forwards who project to be high scorers in this league. Who said some of those guys arnt moveable?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Wait for him to possibly hit the open market. I don't think it's guaranteed he re-signs in LA. The future of that franchise in terms of contending doesn't seem that strong. Doughty might want to move on and Toronto could be an attractive destination.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
So Toronto wants to get a top 10 D-man in the league, and not give up anything of significant value.

LA wants cheap entry level scoring because of their cap situation, but isn't willing to part with Muzzin or Doughty.

its much, much harder/more expensive to get a top 10 Dman (really top 3) than it is to get cheap, entry level scoring. these arent even close to being the same. FWIW, most Kings fans are on board with trading Muzzin for scoring help

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Pretty sure Muzzin can be for sale a lot easier than Doughty.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Yea I was thinking of how to fix the Kings, and no young skill is there problem. Marner,Gardiner and a first is probably in the ball park.But the Kings real problem is there older contracts. One of the stipulations would be wed have to take Gaborik or Brown back.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
LOL you said reasonable then mentioned Matthews lmfao

When your own fanbase asks for Drew Doughty, this is what you should expect.

As a fan of neither team, if you want Doughty, it would require Matthews. lmfao

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
matthews or nothing pretty much. Marner + Rielly could work

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's gonna be a long couple of years.

If you trade Doughty, you have to trade everyone north of age 27, because it all falls apart without him. I know he's not the most popular player on this forum, but without him, this team is in the gutter. Kopitar is magic, but Doughty is the linchpin, two completely different Kings teams played this year, the one with Drew on the ice, and the one without.

I don't think him moving on to TO is that far fetched, but even as a given, you're gonna have to give up assets you don't want to. As for suggesting that will hurt TOs future, well, getting a top-3 defenseman in the game to shore up your top pairing and slot everyone correctly is easily more valuable than Willie Nylander.

Most fans *get it* in terms of the cost.

Nylander
1st round pick

Just guessing here but imagine that Los Angeles would want Carrick in the deal to get them a good young defenseman

So add Carrick

to make the money work and everything for the Leafs, we add 1 of Marincin/Marchenko

Nylander
1st
Carrick
Marchenko/Marincin

Not trying to insult but how is this for a conversation starter?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Most fans *get it* in terms of the cost.

Nylander
1st round pick

Just guessing here but imagine that Los Angeles would want Carrick in the deal to get them a good young defenseman

So add Carrick

to make the money work and everything for the Leafs, we add 1 of Marincin/Marchenko

Nylander
1st
Carrick
Marchenko/Marincin

Not trying to insult but how is this for a conversation starter?

That's not a very good conversation starter. I guess it's good if you are a Leafs fan however.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
The Kings no there not getting Matthews. There's not a player other then Mcdavid that the Leafs would be willing to move Matthews for. The question isn't so much value, just if the Kings would be willing to move Doughty. Ideally in a retool/build they'd keep Kopitar and Doughty and move everyone else including Carter, Quick even Toffoli and get back a Kings ransom.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
To get Doughty to the Leafs, it would take a proposal that every single Leafs fan would hate, and then they would have to add a bit more.

Long term, they're better off staying the course and being patient.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I honestly don't think Doughty for Marner or Nylander + is a terrible basis for a trade, especially if LA isn't confident they can re-sign Doughty.

It's a big risk for Toronto, but players like Doughty in their prime don't just become readily available. Imagine what he would contribute to that team in the playoffs. I think the Leafs would have a good chance of retaining him as well.

If Doughty is ever made available, there would be a long list of teams putting their chips on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad