Doughty Hit on Carrier (UPD: Suspended One Game)

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Seemed obvious to me it was dirty from the get go. Didn’t think the nhl had the balls to suspend doughty but he deserved it. Clear head shot. Hope they’re consistent throughout the playoffs

Reactions: SenzZen

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You realize that bringing up their history argues against Doughty, right?

And the hit wasn’t “borderline”. He picked Carrier’s head, and it’s Doughty’s responsibility to get more than that.

Sorry I might be forgetting something, but what history does Doughty have?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you read the post I quoted it ought to be obvious. But I was referring to their history in the game.

I see, the same game that the Kings said wasn't as physical as everyone thinks it was? I mean, I guess if you want to believe this is Doughty's FIRST time being targeted.......I mean ok

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm smiling thinking about the sociopathic, pure homers who screamed it was a clean hit

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll wait for the inconsistency prior to complaining.

This one benefits my team, so I'm fine, but as a fan I hope they stick with the standard.

I honestly think the blindside open ice hit on Perreault yesterday at the blue line was more dangerous. Happened right after Buff ran over Ek. I swear I remember the DoPS talking about those east to west hits being a big problem, but to everyone watching our game last night it just seemed like it was open season on anyone out there on that ice. This Doughty hit seems pretty tame in comparison, not sure I agree with the suspension.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
no they really don't think "im going to run this guy and target his head hoping to concuss him"

Yeah seems pretty questionable to believe that players are trying to ruin each other’s careers. I mean of course you have the Cookes, Torres, and Marchands of the world but I highly doubt most players in the league go out to hurt each other

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Yeah seems pretty questionable to believe that players are trying to ruin each other’s careers. I mean of course you have the Cookes, Torres, and Marchands of the world but I highly doubt most players in the league go out to hurt each other

no shit. game is just fast and they're trying to hit hard but sometimes the players hunched over putting their head in a vulnerable spot

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm smiling thinking about the sociopathic, pure homers who screamed it was a clean hit

I don’t think anyone’s saying it’s a clean hit. He made direct contact with the head. It was unfortunate. Doughty has a responsibility to not hit Carrier in the head, and fails to do so. Does that mean that Doughty was targeting Carrier’s head? In my personal opinion, it doesn’t look like it. But that’s not for me or anyone else here to decide, nor is it even a factor in these decisions.

With that being said, here are the things that bother me:

1. The Department of Player Safety has been inconsistent at best this season when handing out suspensions. There are many instances of hits much more dangerous than this one not even getting reviewed.

2. Doughty does not have any disciplinary record. In past situations similar to this, disciplinary action is taken when the player is a repeat offender, otherwise a fine is assessed. Especially during the playoffs.

3. There was no call on the play, nor was Carrier injured. Like it or not (which I don’t), historically, the DoPS has handed out suspensions if the player is injured. If this gets called on the ice, it’s likely a two-minute penalty and there’s no supplemental discipline.

So here are the facts. In a playoff game, Doughty hits Carrier, who has control of the puck and is fair game to hit. The hit was up high, but it wasn’t as if Doughty went out of his way to target Carrier. We’re talking about a game of inches at high speed. With no disciplinary record at all, Doughty is suspended one game.

If this is the new NHL, then it is what it is. But why did the new NHL start game one of the playoffs, without any precident or consistency during the regular season? And why didn’t the refs call anything on the ice?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Unless I read it wrong, you were insinuating that Doughty went after him because Carrier kept hitting him....right?

The post I quoted suggested Doughty should have been granted some leeway because of the way Carrier had been targeting him earlier.

When reviewing incidents like this, any history suggesting retribution is going to work against the hitter.

Reactions: Macbanan

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
To those that are saying that doughty should’ve adjusted his angle let up on the hit, should’ve let up because carrier lowered his head. JR’s take is correct.

Plus comparing DD to Torres is the ultimate stupid. Torres got 41 games for hitting a ducks player (name not relative because who cares). Doughty got suspended for a questionable hit.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
3 1/2 classless Wilson. Player wasn't seriously injured (thank goodness).

$
$
$

$

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad