Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'd say to get an idea of how much more work Sweeney has ahead of him, look at that Jets team. That's another level from the team the Bruins ice. I don't know how you get this roster to be at that level in the time that Bergeron is still around. But that's what it's going to take. They were another trade deadline star with what they pulled off.

All that being said, I'm still amazed we're as good we are. I feel like we're already playing with house money.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I'd say to get an idea of how much more work Sweeney has ahead of him, look at that Jets team. That's another level from the team the Bruins ice. I don't know how you get this roster to be at that level in the time that Bergeron is still around. But that's what it's going to take. They were another trade deadline star with what they pulled off.

All that being said, I'm still amazed we're as good we are. I feel like we're already playing with house money.
They are far from another level from the Bruins. Yes they are still playing but in the regular season, two games each team won one in a shootout, not much to choose from the two.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
They are far from another level from the Bruins. Yes they are still playing but in the regular season, two games each team won one in a shootout, not much to choose from the two.

Yeah but some teams have one guy that turns it up in the playoffs. Some teams have 3-4 of them. Some teams have a dozen of them, and the Jets have that. Total playoff players. I know because in 2011, we had that. Guys who played at their best after game 82. I think we have 4-5 of those, maybe.

Reactions: Strafer

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

I agree. For Sweeney to get the Bruins to what the Jets are, he’d have to gut the farm. And even then I doubt he could swing it. The Jets are a great team. They are big and skilled. The Bruins are retooling still. I think people forget that. I know people complain about burning Bergeron and the older players. There nothing that can be done. Should Sweeney trade everyone and future picks to possibly get further in the playoffs. As we saw, injuries and luck plays a big part of post season success. He made the team he got a better team to watch and play on the ice. He’s not done. To get where the Jets are is going to possibly take a lot longer than is possible. You just can’t turn a team around that fast.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Backes looks like a poor signing so far and he will take up 6m of cap per year for the next 3 years still.

And hey how great was that to give up on Subban and pick Khudobin instead?
Malcolm's stats with Vegas:
13 wins 4 losses 2.68 GAA and 91% save percentage.

We are just very fortunate that the Bruins have been very good drafting the past 3 years.
But our other acquisitions have looked pretty poor if we're being honest.
Krejci's decline over the past 2 years doesn't help either. 63->54->44 points.

Sweeney needs to stop playing checkers and show us some chess moves. He's shown to be far below the class of DA or BB in the GM department.
We can chalk up this year's playoff knockout as a 'development' year but this offseason becomes critical for the future if the Bruins are serious about becoming contenders.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Backes looks like a poor signing so far and he will take up 6m of cap per year for the next 3 years still.

We are just very fortunate that the Bruins have been very good drafting the past 3 years.

Sweeney needs to stop playing checkers and show us some chess moves. He's shown to be far below the class of DA or BB in the GM department.
We can chalk up this year's playoff knockout as a 'development' year but this offseason becomes critical for the future if the Bruins are serious about becoming contenders.

They didn't "give up" on Subban. He never earned the backup job at any point with the Bruins, and there was no way to get him to the minors without going through waivers. And the stats on Subban do nothing to prove your point since Khudobin had a .913 save percentage and 2.56 GAA.

Krejci's 44 points in 64 games works out to a 56 point pace in a full season. Raw point totals like that also don't do much to help prove your point.

I'm not sure why Sweeney is being compared to Danny Ainge or Bill Belichick. Different sports, different leagues, different rules

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Subban didn’t do shit while he was in Boston. Give me a break. What’s he doing in Vegas? Fluery’s the main man. They have a solid team in front of them both. Flurry isn’t that good either. As far as Subban, blame the NHL for the stupid expansion rules.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Subban didn’t do **** while he was in Boston. Give me a break. What’s he doing in Vegas? Fluery’s the main man. They have a solid team in front of them both. Flurry isn’t that good either. As far as Subban, blame the NHL for the stupid expansion rules.

Well no kidding he played 2 games with the boston Bruins lol

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Subban didn’t do **** while he was in Boston. Give me a break. What’s he doing in Vegas? Fluery’s the main man. They have a solid team in front of them both. Flurry isn’t that good either. As far as Subban, blame the NHL for the stupid expansion rules.

Subban is 24 TODAY. He was 22 when Vegas claimed him off waivers, having played TWO NHL games before that. That's way too early to give up on the hardest position in the sport. And this franchise has a troubling pattern of giving up on young players too soon. The list is LONG.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Subban is 24 TODAY. He was 22 when Vegas claimed him off waivers, having played TWO NHL games before that. That's way too early to give up on the hardest position in the sport. And this franchise has a troubling pattern of giving up on young players too soon. The list is LONG.

They didn't give up on him. I don't know why that's so hard to understand

Reactions: Chief Nine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Subban was 23 going on 24 (b-day in DEC) THE DAY he was claimed last October by Vegas (not 22).

He played 4 full AHL seasons, putting up good, (but not remarkable) numbers over that time. His last two seasons, his save % (while not bad, .911 and .917) was lower than his first two AHL years.

I think the B’s got caught between a rock and a hard place with Subban. They liked him and wanted to keep him, but didn’t feel he was ready to be an NHL goalie, but they ran out of time on waivers and hoped they could sneak him through.

Khudobin: 2.56 GAA, .913

Subban: 2.68 GAA, .910

Pretty comparable numbers. The B’s took a chance he wouldn’t be claimed and lost the gamble. I don’t see any similarities to the “troubling pattern” you are referring to (I assume you mean Kessel, Seguin, Wheeler, etc). Those were different situations.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I agree. For Sweeney to get the Bruins to what the Jets are, he’d have to gut the farm. And even then I doubt he could swing it. The Jets are a great team. They are big and skilled. The Bruins are retooling still. I think people forget that. I know people complain about burning Bergeron and the older players. There nothing that can be done. Should Sweeney trade everyone and future picks to possibly get further in the playoffs. As we saw, injuries and luck plays a big part of post season success. He made the team he got a better team to watch and play on the ice. He’s not done. To get where the Jets are is going to possibly take a lot longer than is possible. You just can’t turn a team around that fast.

Exactly, the Jets started building their team from day one. They did it the right way. with patience and smarts. GM's feeling the heat are prone to make mistakes. I watched and it amazed me , the patience their GM exercised to get where they are now. Good on them. Sweeny has done well considering the amount of time he has taken to turn this team around but he will have challenges ahead. Your absolutely right about burning Bergy et al , it's going to happen like it or not.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Subban was 23 going on 24 (b-day in DEC) THE DAY he was claimed last October by Vegas (not 22).

He played 4 full AHL seasons, putting up good, (but not remarkable) numbers over that time. His last two seasons, his save % (while not bad, .911 and .917) was lower than his first two AHL years.

I think the B’s got caught between a rock and a hard place with Subban. They didn’t feel he was ready to be an NHL goalie, but they ran out of time on waivers and hoped they could sneak him through.

Khudobin: 2.56 GAA, .913

Subban: 2.68 GAA, .910

Pretty comparable numbers. The B’s took a chance he wouldn’t be claimed and lost the gamble. I don’t see any similarities to the “troubling pattern” you are referring to (I assume you mean Kessel, Seguin, Wheeler, etc). Those were different situations.

But that miscalculation in itself is poor. Dude is a former first round pick. Rolling those dice is mediocre at best.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
well Tim Thomas wasn't relevant till he was 30ish, so it's too early to see where Subban ends up in his career.

Bruins have Rask signed and Khudobin is a good player so it's a crowded position. Very hard for a goalie to show his worth being 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

looked like a bust pick from Chiarelli, but not so much anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad