Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What's frustrating is THAT WAS SO GODAMN OBVIOUS. I still don't get what was not to like about those players given their respective ages.

Smith didn't play great his second year and was making 3.5 mil. I hated the deal but I can't get on them too much. I would have exposed Kevan Miller as I knew Vegas wouldn't be taking any guys with more than a year left on their deal, but he is a #6 here and they liked Kevan better as their 6 so I get it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Average player? He would be one of our 4 best forwards.

he would definitely slot nicely as our 2RW with 74 and 46. I would easily swap out Backes money for his.

You always have to wonder about a guy dealt 4 times before he's 25, so either he's in huge demand or the team tires of them quickly. In Florida's case, they were just being cheap.

He also has proven he can play for Gerard Gallant, but wasn't great with that other Florida shaft or year two with Claude, but nobody was that 14-15 season.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
With news that everyone except Sebastien Aho is reportedly available in Carolina, I wonder whether Sweeney will make enquiries of about some of the players there. Top of the list would be Hanifin, but perhaps he might ask about Rask and Lindholm (centers) and Faulk (RHD).

I would target one guy...that is Slavin

Hanifin is coming off an injury and overall hasn't been impressive (for where he was picked). Also is looking for a nice extension vs Slavin is already signed

I would consider giving up whatever prospect/young player except Frederic, Studnicka, Zboril

Reactions: bbfan419

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Hanifin is coming off an injury and overall hasn't been impressive (for where he was picked). Also is looking for a nice extension vs Slavin is already signed

I would consider giving up whatever prospect/young player except Frederic, Studnicka, Zboril

what injury did he (Hanifan) suffer, I only watched him vs the B`s this year, kid looked very good to me, still learning the pro game, I like Slavin too

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If by some miracle the Hurricanes said to Sweeney they'd give them Slavin for a package of Frederic + Studnicka + Zboril the Bruins would be completely incompetent to not accept that package immediately.

I must of missed the part where any of those guys are considered top-tier prospects. Losing Frederic would hurt the most of the 3, but do any of them project to be contributors comparable to what Slavin can do. 24 years old over 200 + NHL games played, averaged 23 mins a game last season. Signed for the next 7 years to a very nice contract.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If by some miracle the Hurricanes said to Sweeney they'd give them Slavin for a package of Frederic + Studnicka + Zboril the Bruins would be completely incompetent to not accept that package immediately.

I must of missed the part where any of those guys are considered top-tier prospects. Losing Frederic would hurt the most of the 3, but do any of them project to be contributors comparable to what Slavin can do. 24 years old over 200 + NHL games played, averaged 23 mins a game last season. Signed for the next 7 years to a very nice contract.
Your pretty much gutting the prospect pool at this point for one.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How do people feel about Sweeney now that we are a few years in? He has done a good job of drafting players, though missed on quite a few guys who everyone wanted in the 2015 draft who have proven themselves on the nhl stage before Zboril and Senyshyn have made it. Overall I have thought he has been a positive in setting up scouts around him and coaches to help develop players.

One area he really needs to improve on is the Free agent deals and trade deadline moves.

Trade deals:

Hamilton deal- good
Lucic deal- good
Martin Jones deal- good

stafford deal- fair
Vatrano- fair

Rick nash deal- bad
holden deal- bad
liles deal- bad
stempniak deal- bad
Riley smith deal- bad (even tho had to deal him because of the cap, could have got a much better deal for him)
Rinaldo- very bad
Soderberg deal- somewhat bad (could have got more for him than oscar steen, but had to be moved cause of the cap)

Free agent deals:

Dominic Moore- good
Riley Nash- good

David Backes- bad
Matt Beleskey- bad
extending jimmy hayes- bad

Pretty much a mixed bag. There were some good deals that brought in draft picks, but its also been a mixed bag on if those draft picks have panned out. Traded a lot of 1st through 3rd round draft picks for nash, stempniak, liles etc that didnt pan out. The only one that really panned out as a rental was stempniak but we didnt keep him around.

What's everyones thoughts on Sweeney so far as a GM? Right now I grade him out as a B-/C+

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
How do people feel about Sweeney now that we are a few years in? He has done a good job of drafting players, though missed on quite a few guys who everyone wanted in the 2015 draft who have proven themselves on the nhl stage before Zboril and Senyshyn have made it. Overall I have thought he has been a positive in setting up scouts around him and coaches to help develop players.

One area he really needs to improve on is the Free agent deals and trade deadline moves.

Trade deals:

Hamilton deal- good
Lucic deal- good
Martin Jones deal- good

stafford deal- fair
Vatrano- fair

Rick nash deal- bad
holden deal- bad
liles deal- bad
stempniak deal- bad
Riley smith deal- bad (even tho had to deal him because of the cap, could have got a much better deal for him)
Rinaldo- very bad
Soderberg deal- somewhat bad (could have got more for him than oscar steen, but had to be moved cause of the cap)

Free agent deals:

Dominic Moore- good
Riley Nash- good

David Backes- bad
Matt Beleskey- bad
extending jimmy hayes- bad

Pretty much a mixed bag. There were some good deals that brought in draft picks, but its also been a mixed bag on if those draft picks have panned out. Traded a lot of 1st through 3rd round draft picks for nash, stempniak, liles etc that didnt pan out. The only one that really panned out as a rental was stempniak but we didnt keep him around.

What's everyones thoughts on Sweeney so far as a GM? Right now I grade him out as a B-/C+

Wasn’t soderberg a UFA-To-Be when he traded him? Pretty sure that was the same year that Chiarelli got fired and Sweeney took over. It was a, “You’re not re-signing here so I’m trading your rights for anything”. Not really putting that on Sweeney.

How was the Holden deal bad? He traded a lesser defenseman in ROG for him and a 3rd. I wouldn’t say the trade was bad.

Then acquired a higher 3rd anyway.

When grading Sweeney, is like to factor in his extensions. All, besides Hayes, have been good to excellent.

And he’s gotten a lot of NCAA college guys to sign early and a few who could have easily sought UFA to get another chance somewhere else.

I give him a solid B on everything.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

For Slavin any of those three would be on table. He's a Stud! Very underrated. He and McAvoy would be an awesome first unit for years.

Reactions: Flannelman

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Wasn’t soderberg a UFA-To-Be when he traded him? Pretty sure that was the same year that Chiarelli got fired and Sweeney took over. It was a, “You’re not re-signing here so I’m trading your rights for anything”. Not really putting that on Sweeney.

How was the Holden deal bad? He traded a lesser defenseman in ROG for him and a 3rd. I wouldn’t say the trade was bad.

Then acquired a higher 3rd anyway.

What did holden do for us? Pretty much nothing, I wasnt a fan of ROG, but still we traded a 3rd for a guy who really did nothing for us. Yes we acquired another 3rd in the vatrano deal, but i mentioned that deal and said it was a fair trade.

I was a fan of the holden trade when it happened, but the end result wasnt good. Obviously it was a smaller trade, but it was one that didnt provide us anything but a bench warmer.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I think people forget part of the Smith trade was getting rid of Savard’s contract as well. I believe every season they had to be under the cap with him on the roster before they could LTIR him. Getting rid of that was a big understated part of that trade.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What did holden do for us? Pretty much nothing, I wasnt a fan of ROG, but still we traded a 3rd for a guy who really did nothing for us. Yes we acquired another 3rd in the vatrano deal, but i mentioned that deal and said it was a fair trade.

I was a fan of the holden trade when it happened, but the end result wasnt good. Obviously it was a smaller trade, but it was one that didnt provide us anything but a bench warmer.

Not sure what you were expecting from that trade. He was acquired for depth lmfao

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think people forget part of the Smith trade was getting rid of Savard’s contract as well. I believe every season they had to be under the cap with him on the roster before they could LTIR him. Getting rid of that was a big understated part of that trade.

Yes but then trading for jimmy hayes and giving him a 3 year 6.9 million dollar deal before playing a minute in a bruins uniform was a bad move.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'm expecting to not give up a 3rd round draft pick for a guy who made barely any impact to a team.

He played when he had to play. Bruins went into that deal with 3 LHDs already. It was depth move. They reacquired a 3rd anyway. Who knows if that had something to do with it. Sweeney may have known from the beginning that they were going to get a 3rd from FLA.

Also, was I correct on Soderberg?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Little

Helped for regular season. Not the playoffs

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Little

Helped for regular season. Not the playoffs

He appeared in a playoff game when Krug went down. If we were up in the series and not down having him available to step in would have been huge. If Krug got injured earlier in the playoffs and he played more the pickup looks better. Someone ahead of him got hurt and he played there is nothing to second guess. I thought we paid a little too much for a guy who wasn't that good but the move was fine we were 4 deep on RD and LD after the deadline with Postma #9. We ended up losing a top 4 RD and top 4 LD. We didn't let 2017 happen again.

People would have murdered Sweeney for not having a guy to replace Krug if we hadn't done the deal and the season ended again with Tommy Cross on the ice.

Reactions: Memokerobi

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you see Dealer Don around the North Shore this Memorial Day weekend tell him to give Steve Yzerman a call to cheer him up after apparently making a horrible deal with the Rangers per social media and on HF Boards.

At least George McPhee doesn’t have to answer for his deadline deal with Detroit yet

Not as bad as Forsberg for Erat which is why McPhee is in Vegas but Tatar and that contract for a 1, 2, and 3.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If you see Dealer Don around the North Shore this Memorial Day weekend tell him to give Steve Yzerman a call to cheer him up after apparently making a horrible deal with the Rangers per social media and on HF Boards.

At least George McPhee doesn’t have to answer for his deadline deal with Detroit yet

I get that everybody loves Vegas right now, but GMGM gave up a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for a guy that has played only 6 playoff games and scored 1 goal. The 27 year old Tatar didn’t have a great year with either DET or LV and he’s under contact at $5.3m for another three years.

Tatar still has time to turn things around in LV and he will likely play a larger role if the Knights decide to move on from guys like Neal, Perron, etc., but if you are judging the deal in the short term, it looks pretty bad.

Reactions: bbfan419 and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I get that everybody loves Vegas right now, but GMGM gave up a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for a guy that has played only 6 playoff games and scored 1 goal. The 27 year old Tatar didn’t have a great year with either DET or LV and he’s under contact at $5.3m for another three years.

Tatar still has time to turn things around in LV and he will likely play a larger role if the Knights decide to move on from guys like Neal, Perron, etc., but if you are judging the deal in the short term, it looks pretty bad.
The part about the Vegas-Detroit deal besides to me it looks so one - sided is that Detroit is in our division.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

I would have no problem trading Zboril in a deal for Slavin

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
The part about the Vegas-Detroit deal besides to me it looks so one - sided is that Detroit is in our division.
Yeah, but they'll likely just draft Big McLargeHuge and Grit No'Skill and Leader McCharacter out of the WHL with those picks. I'm not worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad