Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Thought he needed to do with Eriksson what the Blues did with Statsny (if the intention was never to resign). This team with 2 more 1st's, Reilly Smith, and Barzal is a beast for a decade. Now, we don't know. I think we'll see some regression as some of our division improves. Certainly helps when you play in the worst division in hockey.

Best offer for Eriksson was rumored to be a couple 2's.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Best offer for Eriksson was rumored to be a couple 2's.
I don’t think the Eriksson thing was Sweeney’s call. I really believe that the edict from above was to try to make the playoffs and get a couple home playoff game gates. I think if Sweeney had his way he would of dealt Loui for the best offer he could of got.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Reilly Smith was awful his last year. He had zero ability to handle the puck. I don’t care if he is VGK’s best all around player. Who could have known he’d become this good, anyway? And impossible to know if he’d be this player had he stayed in Boston.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Reilly Smith was awful his last year. He had zero ability to handle the puck. I don’t care if he is VGK’s best all around player. Who could have known he’d become this good, anyway? And impossible to know if he’d be this player had he stayed in Boston.

Imagine living in a world where young 20 goal scorers are given time to develop. It was madness to make the trade, and it was for another BIG guy. There's a big guy trend here SCREAMING at us. And Neely's got his fingerprints all over that imho. The big guy stuff has failed us, mostly because it's entirely the wrong kind of big guy. Carlo is one of the few big guys that makes any kind of sense.

Btw I'm not saying Loui gets you 2 more firsts. I'm saying better overall asset management probably does.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Imagine living in a world where young 20 goal scorers are given time to develop. It was madness to make the trade, and it was for another BIG guy. There's a big guy trend here SCREAMING at us. And Neely's got his fingerprints all over that imho. The big guy stuff has failed us, mostly because it's entirely the wrong kind of big guy. Carlo is one of the few big guys that makes any kind of sense.

Btw I'm not saying Loui gets you 2 more firsts. I'm saying better overall asset management probably does.
Not singling you out specifically but lamenting over Reilly Smith is ridiculous.

Guy was soft and wildly inconsistent. Obviously trading him for Hayes was a disaster since Hayes was garbage, but I had ZERO issue moving on from that player. Especially after her got that deal from FL.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

He had a good first year here and then a down second year, then did the same thing in Florida. It will be interesting to see if he continues to perform like this next year

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

?

He was good in Boston also

The issue has always been consistency and mentality

Gallant and Rilley mesh (they did in Florida and now in Vegas). Maybe Gallant doesn't give him a hard time at things other coaches would.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
?

He was good in Boston also

The issue has always been consistency and mentality

Gallant and Rilley mesh (they did in Florida and now in Vegas). Maybe Gallant doesn't give him a hard time at things other coaches would.

I thought he was pretty damn bad. I was waiting to find out he had serious wrist/arm injuries.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Boston Bruins 2014-15 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Look how terrible that team was collectively, yet Smith takes the brunt...he was also tied in second for goals with Lucic the play-offs the year before for the Bruins. he was also 23 when they traded him.

13-14--- 5th in goals. 5th in assists, 9th hits (forwards), 4th in takeaways,
14-15--- 5th in goals, 4th in assists, 6th in hits (forwards), 4th in blocks (forwards), 4th in takeaways

But yeah, let's keep up the Smith nonsense. Selective amnesia to cover up an absolutely terrible trade.

Reactions: TaroTsujimoto

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Thought he needed to do with Eriksson what the Blues did with Statsny (if the intention was never to resign). This team with 2 more 1st's, Reilly Smith, and Barzal is a beast for a decade. Now, we don't know. I think we'll see some regression as some of our division improves. Certainly helps when you play in the worst division in hockey.

I think we need to use the Spoiler Tag for
Matt Barzal
as a trigger warning for the people that can't handle reading his name.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Boston Bruins 2014-15 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Look how terrible that team was collectively, yet Smith takes the brunt...he was also tied in second for goals with Lucic the play-offs the year before for the Bruins. he was also 23 when they traded him.

13-14--- 5th in goals. 5th in assists, 9th hits (forwards), 4th in takeaways,
14-15--- 5th in goals, 4th in assists, 6th in hits (forwards), 4th in blocks (forwards), 4th in takeaways

But yeah, let's keep up the Smith nonsense. Selective amnesia to cover up an absolutely terrible trade.

He was given a pretty big opportunity to be pretty mediocre.

He started hot and looked like more of a player any of us expected but he was absolutely pathetic down the stretch of his best year in Boston.

Then he regressed the next year after getting a contract extension.

Trading him for Hayes was not ideal but I don't miss Smith at all.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nope...but the "all hail Sweeney" thread I saw recently sure was over the top

Well "all hail Sweeney is a bit much".

This summer will really show me what Sweeney is worth. He has to resist the temptation IMO to hand out deals to either Rick or Riley, as well as most of his UFAs. And stay away from the UFA market where more mistakes are made than any other day of the hockey calendar.

And can he make a hockey trade, not a sale (like Lucic or Hamilton) nor a buyer (Rick Nash for futures) but a hockey deal where he can shore up the positions of weakness (C, RW, LD) by using existing assets, possibly including those on his current roster, to shore up these areas of weakness.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Well "all hail Sweeney is a bit much".

This summer will really show me what Sweeney is worth. He has to resist the temptation IMO to hand out deals to either Rick or Riley, as well as most of his UFAs. And stay away from the UFA market where more mistakes are made than any other day of the hockey calendar.

And can he make a hockey trade, not a sale (like Lucic or Hamilton) nor a buyer (Rick Nash for futures) but a hockey deal where he can shore up the positions of weakness (C, RW, LD) by using existing assets, possibly including those on his current roster, to shore up these areas of weakness.
I think he should resign Nash. The guy could play LD in a pinch and is very likeable. Pay the man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad