Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You don't like Schaller back at 1.5? It isn't a huge raise from where he is and he is a valuable 4th line guy, but one you wouldn't have a problem scratching if need be, or even moving on for a low round pick if he becomes surplus.

I don't care for any 4th liner at 1.5M+ AAV.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't care for any 4th liner at 1.5M+ AAV.

I would think tops 1.5, but maybe he comes back at 1.2? Would that be an okay number? Schaller is good guy to have, not indispensable, but he is reliable, sturdy, and hard-working. I won't cry if he moves on, but he is a useful guy to have on the team.

Reactions: Strafer

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
You don't like Schaller back at 1.5? It isn't a huge raise from where he is and he is a valuable 4th line guy, but one you wouldn't have a problem scratching if need be, or even moving on for a low round pick if he becomes surplus.
I like Schaller a lot but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up with a 3 year deal between $1.5-$2 million a year from someone. And he earned it. I just think, and hope at that price, it will be somewhere else. This free agency class is really pretty terrible. De Haan is only worthwhile left shot D. I could see guys like Schaller and Riley Nash getting more than people think because of it.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like Schaller a lot but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up with a 3 year deal between $1.5-$2 million a year from someone. And he earned it. I just think, and hope at that price, it will be somewhere else. This free agency class is really pretty terrible. De Haan is only worthwhile left shot D. I could see guys like Schaller and Riley Nash getting more than people think because of it.

I've always liked De Haan's all-around game. But he's always kinda floated between 2nd pair and 3rd pair, kinda like Andrew Ference, and depending on who you agree with, kinda like Torey Krug.

I'm not sure how he really fits the Bruins needs long term. I think if they go and acquire a LD in the off-season it needs to be a guy who is a solid 2nd pair guy with enough ability they won't look out of place too much on the 1st, rather than a fringe 2nd pair guy who sometimes ends up on the 3rd.

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I've always liked De Haan's all-around game. But he's always kinda floated between 2nd pair and 3rd pair, kinda like Andrew Ference, and depending on who you agree with, kinda like Torey Krug.

I'm not sure how he really fits the Bruins needs long term. I think if they go and acquire a LD in the off-season it needs to be a guy who is a solid 2nd pair guy with enough ability they won't look out of place too much on the 1st, rather than a fringe 2nd pair guy who sometimes ends up on the 3rd.
I’d rather acquire someone. I feel the same way you do about De Haan. Every time it looks like he’s about to solidify himself as a top 4 D he gets hurt or goes into a rut. I’m on the Jake Muzzin or Hanifin bandwagon. Muzzin mainly because they have a surplus of D and cap problems for LA. Guy is a pretty damn good all around defenseman.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’d rather acquire someone. I feel the same way you do about De Haan. Every time it looks like he’s about to solidify himself as a top 4 D he gets hurt or goes into a rut. I’m on the Jake Muzzin or Hanifin bandwagon. Muzzin mainly because they have a surplus of D and cap problems for LA. Guy is a pretty damn good all around defenseman.

Hanifin if I had to put money on it is going nowhere. Just my gut feeling, and I don't see Boston having the assets (like a young Center) they would likely want in return. I see no chance of picks/prospects getting it done. If anything I think Dundan wants more immediate results, not a tear down.

Muzzin is a guy I'd love for the Bruins to take a look at. Fits the criteria of solid LD Top 4 guy who can if needed play on the No.1 pair as a compliment to a better D-man as his partner.

No idea what it would take to get him though.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Muzzin is just the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the LHD side. He's big, experienced, and has some leadership ability and still under 30 years old. Still has a good 5-6 years left in his legs at least IMO.
BTW: Am I the only one who would like to see more of Holden before counting him out or is he going to be too expensive for what we need? Many here harped on his mistakes but let's face it, we've had worse here, far worse!

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
He traded Reilly Smith, who Vegas' coach called their best all around player, for Jimmy Hayes. That's a fireable offence.

I do not want to hear any of the usual nonsense that Smith, like Seguin, Kessel and so many others before him, was sucking and needed to go. This was a talented and versatile young player that we gave away for nothing. Sweeney needs to be held accountable.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He traded Reilly Smith, who Vegas' coach called their best all around player, for Jimmy Hayes. That's a fireable offence.

I do not want to hear any of the usual nonsense that Smith, like Seguin, Kessel and so many others before him, was sucking and needed to go. This was a talented and versatile young player that we gave away for nothing. Sweeney needs to be held accountable.

So one bad deal and that's it, a GM should lose his job?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Lol. Did you watch Smith during his final season here in Boston? The epitome of “useless” if he wasn’t scoring (which he didn’t do much of. The goalless droughts he went on that season were horrendous). Also, you do realize Florida gave him away due to a poor season, right? So great that he found his game in Vegas, but there’s a reason he ended up there. Poor play and they didn’t want to risk having to pay him for that contract.

One of those names are not like the others. Why did Florida give him away then? Actually....they gave him AND Marchessault away. Now that’s a fireable offense.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I love Reilly Smith, but don't mistake the Gallant Smith with the rest of the league Smith. Two different players for whatever reason. He would absolutely thrive with Cassidy, but he wasn't the coach then. Doesn't make it a good deal, at all, I agree, but to be fired over it is a little nuts.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Lol. Did you watch Smith during his final season here in Boston? The epitome of “useless” if he wasn’t scoring (which he didn’t do much of. The goalless droughts he went on that season were horrendous). Also, you do realize Florida gave him away due to a poor season, right? So great that he found his game in Vegas, but there’s a reason he ended up there. Poor play and they didn’t want to risk having to pay him for that contract.

One of those names are not like the others. Why did Florida give him away then? Actually....they gave him AND Marchessault away. Now that’s a fireable offense.

Somehow he has become the poster child for that awful team. EVERYBODY was terrible that season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Muzzin is just the kind of guy that I'd love to have on the LHD side. He's big, experienced, and has some leadership ability and still under 30 years old. Still has a good 5-6 years left in his legs at least IMO.
BTW: Am I the only one who would like to see more of Holden before counting him out or is he going to be too expensive for what we need? Many here harped on his mistakes but let's face it, we've had worse here, far worse!

He will get 3 mil per IMO.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I follow Seguin still because of a huge man crush I have on him. He credits Claude/Bergy all the time for turning him into more of a 2 way player.

On the topic of guys we messed up drafting/trading away, give me TS91 back 100/100 over drafting Barzal

Seguin also played for Hitchcock this year in Dallas. Another coach who is very demanding defensively.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
While obviously not the scorer, he is by far and away the most complete player of the three.

He has been out of those three but Seguin really stepped up his two way play this year under Hitchcock. He was killing penalties this year and doing a great job. Reilly Smith was always very good on the PK

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He has been out of those three but Seguin really stepped up his two way play this year under Hitchcock. He was killing penalties this year and doing a great job. Reilly Smith was always very good on the PK

Again, if you remember (and agree or not), the reason for moving Smith (and others around that period) wasn't so much about skill as it was about chemistry.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Again, if you remember (and agree or not), the reason for moving Smith (and others around that period) wasn't so much about skill as it was about chemistry.

Absolutely. You could visibly see that Smith did not want to be here in that last season

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Thought he needed to do with Eriksson what the Blues did with Statsny (if the intention was never to resign). This team with 2 more 1st's, Reilly Smith, and Barzal is a beast for a decade. Now, we don't know. I think we'll see some regression as some of our division improves. Certainly helps when you play in the worst division in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad