Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Hamilton deal is just so ballsy in the end. If there is any justice the Bruins will hit on all 3 and Dougie will underachieve.

Chiarelli already got bent over in a way 2 times hint hint

What I personally liked about the Hamilton trade is simply that he moved him quickly. Drives me demented when teams hold onto players that want out - for months or a year looking for that perfect deal. If a player actively wants out - move him. Get the best deal you can but don't sweat it too much. Just don't let it linger.
Often what's best for the team moving forward isn't winning the trade - but simply getting it done and turning the page.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
What I personally liked about the Hamilton trade is simply that he moved him quickly. Drives me demented when teams hold onto players that want out - for months or a year looking for that perfect deal. If a player actively wants out - move him. Get the best deal you can but don't sweat it too much. Just don't let it linger.
Often what's best for the team moving forward isn't winning the trade - but simply getting it done and turning the page.
That is not the way to be an NHL GM. Dougie was still under contract and had no bargaining power. GM should have told his agent to shop around his client and then evaluated the offers and him and his agent should have been told to go away and GM could have made a hockey trade talent for talent based on his offers. ....The tail wagged the dog here and that was bad for the team.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Waiting worked out beautifully for Sakic and Yzerman, so I don't think it's always so clear cut.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Waiting worked out beautifully for Sakic and Yzerman, so I don't think it's always so clear cut.

I'm honestly not sure if it has.
Tampa got Sergachev so that should be an obvious win going forward. But they also missed the playoffs last year while waiting this out with Drouin. All-in-all Yzerman knocked it out of the park, but a lesser package last year might've gotten them into the playoffs as they were mostly just missing an injured Stamkos.

Can't say Sakic won anything yet. He got his asking price. Sure. But that team looked terrible last year and not a whole lot better this year. I think the whole thing soured and made the team regress. I think they should've moved Duchene when this started for what they would've gotten - which still would've been good - and turned the page. I think they would be much better off with a lesser package last year.

Best recent example is Mike Gillis in Van and how he drew out the Hodgson, Kesler, Luongo, etc. (even played chicken with the Sedins) affairs and torpedoed his own team by adding unnecessary drama.

Winnipeg is an interesting one also. Moving E. Kane quickly. But to prove me wrong they held onto Trouba which has worked out.

It's just usually my gut instinct. We've all worked with disgruntled people and it doesn't take much to make it a toxic environment.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I like what Donnie has been doing, but I think the 2nd line needs a better scoring winger.
If Donnie can get a 25 goal scorer for the 2nd line, makes this team a lot more dangerous.
Not a rental, looking for a 25 to 28 year old with 2 years left on their contract.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think one of the problems right now in making a trade with the glut of assets they have is that they are still evaluating which kid to keep or which kid has value to the team. It's too early.

Reactions: Dr Hook

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm honestly not sure if it has.
Tampa got Sergachev so that should be an obvious win going forward. But they also missed the playoffs last year while waiting this out with Drouin. All-in-all Yzerman knocked it out of the park, but a lesser package last year might've gotten them into the playoffs as they were mostly just missing an injured Stamkos.

Can't say Sakic won anything yet. He got his asking price. Sure. But that team looked terrible last year and not a whole lot better this year. I think the whole thing soured and made the team regress. I think they should've moved Duchene when this started for what they would've gotten - which still would've been good - and turned the page. I think they would be much better off with a lesser package last year.

Best recent example is Mike Gillis in Van and how he drew out the Hodgson, Kesler, Luongo, etc. (even played chicken with the Sedins) affairs and torpedoed his own team by adding unnecessary drama.

Winnipeg is an interesting one also. Moving E. Kane quickly. But to prove me wrong they held onto Trouba which has worked out.

It's just usually my gut instinct. We've all worked with disgruntled people and it doesn't take much to make it a toxic environment.

I think almost everything you said here is wrong, but Tampa was decimated by injuries last year beyond just Stamkos.

Sakic got way way way more than anyone thought he would.

Vancouver sucked anyway.

Reactions: LouJersey

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think almost everything you said here is wrong, but Tampa was decimated by injuries last year beyond just Stamkos.

Sakic got way way way more than anyone thought he would.

Vancouver sucked anyway.

Had to leave this as I went to play my own game this morning but...

I'm just not a big fan of holding onto players for the sake of 'winning a trade'.
If 'winning a trade' or 'maximizing assets' is what mattered - Brian Burke's Maple Leafs would've been crushing it ever since he 'stole' Phaneuf from The Flames.

It rarely works out that way. Full on 'losing a trade' sucks. But holding onto disgruntled players rarely works out.

I know that Phaneuf was an incongruous example to what I was talking about.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Also, what was the most rash trade in NHL history?

Hint: we're still laughing at the organization who made it.

The New York Islanders for Yashin? (and about a half dozen others)
Chicago giving the Bruins Esposito?
Detroit trading both Dionne and Oates for nothing?
The Leafs Tom Kurvers deal?
Philly - Lindros deal?
Vancouver sending Neely to Boston?
The Rangers - Espo again?
California Golden Seals - The Lafleur deal?
Boston being haunted by both Parent and Dryden?

Which one are you thinking of?

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If you're talking about Seguin. I think that's more in line with Calgary, and St. Louis prior to that, trading Doug Gilmour. - as the rumours surrounding him in both those cities was never great either and kind of illustrates my point that - sometimes you're best off turning the page.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The New York Islanders for Yashin? (and about a half dozen others)
Chicago giving the Bruins Esposito?
Detroit trading both Dionne and Oates for nothing?
The Leafs Tom Kurvers deal?
Philly - Lindros deal?
Vancouver sending Neely to Boston?
The Rangers - Espo again?
California Golden Seals - The Lafleur deal?
Boston being haunted by both Parent and Dryden?

Which one are you thinking of?

We're still laughing at the Oilers, so I'd say Gretzky to LA for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, 15 million for Peter Pocklington, and a bucket of pucks.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
We're still laughing at the Oilers, so I'd say Gretzky to LA for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, 15 million for Peter Pocklington, and a bucket of pucks.

I skipped that one... but still makes me laugh every time I see 'The Great One' crying.
Trading a player for $15 million in your pocket isn't the worst. Might be the worst... but slightly different. Kept him from getting his knee-caps broken for a few years.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
At this very minute this team is starting to show signs of a bubble 7th 8th 9th 10 place team and maybe worse. This is disgusting at this point.

This GM has not bought one NHL player into the fold from a trade that impacts the team and it is 3 YEARS.....3 YEARS now.......I mean, is this man so scared of doing his job that this nucleus should go another year with this clown as the GM ?

Rookies and first year players always hit walls. This team at this very second is screaming for a trade. An injection of NHL caliber talent for a roster that really needs help.

Kids are great to have. If you are an expansion team or a team that does not think as highly of itself as this team does as an original six franchise. Or you dont have a Stanley Cup winning nucleus which has been deprived and starved of proper support. This scared as crap GM needs to come out from under his desk and make an NHL trade to help this roster. Caps and Rags exposed us as WEAK, SOFT and SOFT. This team needs some men to compliment all the kids.

I thought we were the better team both games vs Caps and Rangers. Even though we are in a little bit of a funk right now.

We can't trade for anyone with term on their contract. That is life when Backes and Beleskey cost 10 mil combined and you have to worry about extending youngsters. And we'd probably be 'selling low' on our desirable young players that are tradeable. We gonna get a stud potential Chara replacement that is proven at the NHL level in a Carlo+JFK trade? Because that is what I'd want to come back.

The only trades that make sense for us is one that returns us the best player in the deal. We have a lot of assets. But I honestly don't think we can get a really good player without Pasternak or McAvoy being in the deal. Especially with this GM.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I thought we were the better team both games vs Caps and Rangers. Even though we are in a little bit of a funk right now.

We can't trade for anyone with term on their contract. That is life when Backes and Beleskey cost 10 mil combined and you have to worry about extending youngsters. And we'd probably be 'selling low' on our desirable young players that are tradeable. We gonna get a stud potential Chara replacement that is proven at the NHL level in a Carlo+JFK trade? Because that is what I'd want to come back.

The only trades that make sense for us is one that returns us the best player in the deal. We have a lot of assets. But I honestly don't think we can get a really good player without Pasternak or McAvoy being in the deal. Especially with this GM.
I disagree. We were very poor in the Ranger game. No hard pressure, no second/rebound shots, no net front presence. 1 shot in TEN minutes of PP time. Lots of lazy stretch passes....Nobody willing to work hard.The Cap game we were physically intimidated. Non physical play......Rangers and Caps are big strong experienced teams. We are not. Too many rookies and not enough sandpaper.

No problem trading Carlo or any of the kids accept McAvoy, DeBrusk and Heinen...........Something has to give....The GM should have seen a lot the last two games.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm thankful the Bruins GM is not as dumb as Ottawa's GM--or some of the armchair GMs.

Look at what he gave up for Duchene (1st, 3rd, Turris, Hammond, and Bowers--a 2017 1st). The Avalanche also got Girard and Kamenev.
People here said it would have been an easy trade last year and wanted to give McAvoy+ to get him. The Senators are now 4-10-2 and Duchence has 2G and 3A with a -8.

The Bruins now have one of the top 5 internal pipelines in the NHL. I know it's a strange concept since they had gone 10 years with just 3 great prospects drafted but it's a reality now. And unless you think you have a real chance to win the cup this year (not gonna happen), let the kids continue to develop and the pipeline to stay stocked.

People wanted Heinen shipped out last year after the 8 game 0-fer. He just needed a little more time in the oven. He's now the 2nd best rookie on the team.

I can only imagine the fury right now if Sweeney was dumb enough to trade McAvoy, Heinen and one or two 1st round picks for Duchene last year.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I disagree. We were very poor in the Ranger game. No hard pressure, no second/rebound shots, no net front presence. 1 shot in TEN minutes of PP time. Lots of lazy stretch passes....Nobody willing to work hard.The Cap game we were physically intimidated. Non physical play......Rangers and Caps are big strong experienced teams. We are not. Too many rookies and not enough sandpaper.

No problem trading Carlo or any of the kids accept McAvoy, DeBrusk and Heinen...........Something has to give....The GM should have seen a lot the last two games.

The bruins played a "very poor" game against the Rangers? While they certainly weren't perfect, the stats indicate the Bruins were probably the better team.

Possession - The Bruins dominated possession for most of game - in fact, 60.4% to 39.7% if you want to be specific. You don't win possession by that much of a margin without hard work.

Shots - BOS outshot NYR 35 to 28. Most shots came 5 on 5 and all but 8 shots were taken from the top of the faceoff circles in. They were high quality shots for the most part.,

Hits - NYR outhit BOS 24 to 19 which is not an extremely wide margin considering the Bruins drove possession.

Blocked Shots - Here is where NYR were excellent. They blocked a total of 18 shots. It's as if Dan Girardi was still on the the ice.

Special Teams - Bruins went 1 for 6, NYR went 2 for 5. This may have been the difference. While it's easy to blame the B's powerplay on this...you might want toi give credit to NYR's pk which was clicking! they blocked most shots. And Lundquist did a great job turning shots aside.

Lundqvist - You mentioned the Bruins were unable to get 2nd chances on rebounds? Lundquist is the best goalie in the NHL for rebound control. Period.

All in all, to say the Bruins played "very poorly" is a hot take. I agree they need a bit more sandpaper and net front presence, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Ryan McDonagh and Lundquist shut down the Bruins.

Reactions: Chief Nine

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Gotta go Joe Thornton to SJ. That's not trading a quarter for three dimes, that's trading a quarter for two nickels and a kick in the sack.

Last edited:
Reactions: 00BW

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Gotta go Joe Thornton to SJ. That's not trading a quarter for three dimes, that's trading a quarter for two nickels and a kick in the sack.

Well we once traded this
barry-gibbs-1979-36.jpg
&
tom-williams-1963-32.jpg

for this
don-tannahill-1976-335.jpg
&
fred-o'donnell-1974-32.jpg

Former 1st overall Barry Gibbs (thanks DKH for the reminder) - 800 gp (15 years) 280 pts dman who later became Blues captain & Tom Williams - post Bruins 250+ gp 200pts

for

a whopping 0 gp for the first dude (the immortal Don Tannahill) and a season and half - 26 pts for the second dude (Fred O'Donnell).

That was pretty ugly. Oh yeah, it was really rash because our former, did I mention, 1st overall Mr. Gibbs only got to lace up his skates for the B's 24 times before they moved him. At least Thornton got in 532 games before he was shuttered.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I skipped that one... but still makes me laugh every time I see 'The Great One' crying.
Trading a player for $15 million in your pocket isn't the worst. Might be the worst... but slightly different. Kept him from getting his knee-caps broken for a few years.
Yeah, 15m in 1980s was a lot of money. Still, don't think Pocklington re-invested that money in the team, just lined his pockets, which I think makes it worse than it could have/should have been.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

IMO, Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg was the most rash trade that I can recall while being a fan. Erat is now 36 and playing overseas while Forsberg is 23 and is on his way to his third 30 goal season.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
No one has the correct answer yet, which is amazing.

And a bunch of guesses weren't rash, just dumb. This was rash and mega dumb. Major ramifications for both franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad