Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My guess is Dean joins him next season as an assistant coach handling D

The depth of the Boston system has Cassidy poised for the Sam Adams trophy
Great post amid the chaos last February 7.

Reading the Sweeney hate is phenomenal- sadly the success has made a few of the most viscious to sign off for good

Cassidy 35-18-6 since hired - 76 points in 59 games like 110 point pace. Crazy

Sam Adams ? I was at Rock Bottom drinking it so I messed up the name

Last edited:

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017

Reading the Sweeney hate is phenomenal- sadly the success has made a few of the most viscious to sign off for good

Sweeney has done nothing that a monkey could not have done. He traded a few guys it was easy to trade. He got back lots of picks and he made those picks that were easy to make....and after three years they are developing. Forgetting that he missed the playoffs TWICE while inheriting a still young Stanley Cup nucleus is simply not evaluating him correctly and giving him a pass for those years is not something he gets from me. I believe a more prepared GM makes the playoffs both those years because they SHOULD HAVE. So now he is hear and some seeds are blooming....Big deal. Lets see him at the deadline this year. A big part of a GM job is to also make trades that actually help his team and not the other team like he has done till now..........This team is thisclose and we still need two players to compete for the CUP. They have chips galore.....Does he try and capitalize and get us over the top....Evander Kane looked good tonight. Tremendous amount of talent. Put a B on his chest and watch him become the Bruins next great power forward. Sweeney still is at a C plus B minus.........we will see in June if that changes.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I agree...Sweeney has done well. Especially this year. Showing good patience and no panic moves when the team was filled with injuries.

I do have to challenge you a little on the Cassidy thing. I didn't know much about him other than the disdain you had for him developing kids in the AHL. Not sure if he's changed however he's been tremendous developing and challenging kids. Like the play style he's incorporated. Much more entertaining.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
INTERESTING thing, though, Patrick held that grudge until the retirement.... surprising that he went on to coach the Nordiques-Avalanche, and not the Canadiens

How is it at all surprising? Given Roy’s fiery personality, why would he want to go back and coach the team he was humiliated by as a player? Also, as Donnie hinted at in his post, he’s not that great a coach, so I doubt MTL would have even had him on their radar.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Sweeney has done nothing that a monkey could not have done. He traded a few guys it was easy to trade. He got back lots of picks and he made those picks that were easy to make....and after three years they are developing. Forgetting that he missed the playoffs TWICE while inheriting a still young Stanley Cup nucleus is simply not evaluating him correctly and giving him a pass for those years is not something he gets from me. I believe a more prepared GM makes the playoffs both those years because they SHOULD HAVE. So now he is hear and some seeds are blooming....Big deal. Lets see him at the deadline this year. A big part of a GM job is to also make trades that actually help his team and not the other team like he has done till now..........This team is thisclose and we still need two players to compete for the CUP. They have chips galore.....Does he try and capitalize and get us over the top....Evander Kane looked good tonight. Tremendous amount of talent. Put a B on his chest and watch him become the Bruins next great power forward. Sweeney still is at a C plus B minus.........we will see in June if that changes.

If you are going to shout out your point at least aim for some accuracy. Mr Chiarelli (the other Harvard guy) was the unprepared GM that missed the playoffs in 2014/15, not Sweeney. Sweeney was the guy who inherited the cap hell and barren prospect pipeline and has moved to repair these deficiencies, even though it was obviously easy to do as you have so eloquently informed us above.

The vast majority of the EVOLVED PRIMATES on here know these things. (spoiler alert - quick apologies to you if you also think The Flintstones was a documentary and we magically appeared here 6,000 years ago)

Btw - your buddy Evander Kane has not made the playoffs during his whole illustrious 8 year career. NOT the right guy to mix in with a team that has a multitude of impressionable youth on it - he's a classic me first guy, this is a team sport - fairly easy to spot that.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
If you are going to shout out your point at least aim for some accuracy. Mr Chiarelli (the other Harvard guy) was the unprepared GM that missed the playoffs in 2014/15, not Sweeney. Sweeney was the guy who inherited the cap hell and barren prospect pipeline and has moved to repair these deficiencies, even though it was obviously easy to do as you have so eloquently informed us above.

The vast majority of the EVOLVED PRIMATES on here know these things. (spoiler alert - quick apologies to you if you also think The Flintstones was a documentary and we magically appeared here 6,000 years ago)

Btw - your buddy Evander Kane has not made the playoffs during his whole illustrious 8 year career. NOT the right guy to mix in with a team that has a multitude of impressionable youth on it - he's a classic me first guy, this is a team sport - fairly easy to spot that.

You are referring to Chiarelli the Stanley Cup winner ? I do recall the guy. Gave me the first cup in a 40 year fandom. Now i get that even EVOLVED PRIMATES have short memories and dont quite understand the talent level this GM took over when he was handed the keys to a Stanley Cup core all in their mid to late 20s and Chara a super human. Ya see, there were no deficiencies here that could not have been easily over come by a smart, well thought out GM who understood that he did not have to panic.

As i recall Nathan Horton was about the same point in his career as Evander Kane when that (other Harvard guy) brilliantly made a HOCKEY TRADE (does the current Harvard guy know what a hockey trade is ?) and helped complete a CUP win by surrounding his nucleus with actual NHL grizzled veteran talent. I also remember that Horton was a tough young mule and not the most liked in his locker room after time...Known as a me guy.

Now your arrogance in thinking you actually know what Evander Kane is shows me all i need to know about your ability to fill the world in on the 20 something human brain. You may be smarter then all of us. I bet you even were the only one to know that Phil Kessel would go on to win two Stanley Cups after all the stuff this fan base said bad things about him. Were you a fanboy then? look it up and let us know how it turned out for Kessel and Horton?....You wont find it under documentary section, more non fiction area. My bet is Kane lifts Stanley some day and you then run here and ask why we could not get him. Like a fanboy.

And i feel so bad that Sweeney had to inherit guys like Bergeron and Pastrnack , Krejci, Chara, Rask, Krug, Lucic, Hamilton, I mean, whats a GM to do with that rag tag bunch....Bet the fans in LA, Chicago and Pittsburgh have been very glad there GMs did not have the same thought process as ours....I mean, none of those teams were in CAP hell........Right ???.
Yet they have 3 cups each the last ten years because they made great hockey trades, didnt panic and simply tweaked instead of just giving up and building for 5 years down the road. And BTW.....Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Pasta, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Sherman......All Chiarelli picks ...So the cubbards were not exactly as baren as you want us to think. Or did you even know this stuff ???.

Lets see what he can do now that this team has all the talent stocked and the nucleus to actually go after the Stanley cup. One thing though.....I just hope the GM understands that the idea is to actually win the cup.

Last edited:

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking during this last game...the most underrated Sweeney signing might be Miller. Pretty much everyone, including myself, gave Sweeney a TON of flack for giving that contract to Miller after the season he had, but Miller has nothing short of a solid, consistent #4 since he signed that contract. Kudos to Sweeney for signing a relative bargain contract for a player that helps solidify the d-corps instead of overpaying for a player like Jason Demers.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking during this last game...the most underrated Sweeney signing might be Miller. Pretty much everyone, including myself, gave Sweeney a TON of flack for giving that contract to Miller after the season he had, but Miller has nothing short of a solid, consistent #4 since he signed that contract. Kudos to Sweeney for signing a relative bargain contract for a player that helps solidify the d-corps instead of overpaying for a player like Jason Demers.
Just checked because i was not sure......Miller was bought to Boston in 2011. So he was a Chiarelli signing i guess. That Bum Chiarelli.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Why does Sweeney need to make a trade? Have the Bruins not been the best team in the league since Cassidy took over? despite some crazy injuries for a decent chunk of those games? What am I missing here?

The deadline is where contending teams improve for a run and i’m 100% down for making a splash there but there’s no reason to rock the boat when the sailing is smooth.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why does Sweeney need to make a trade? Have the Bruins not been the best team in the league since Cassidy took over? despite some crazy injuries for a decent chunk of those games? What am I missing here?

The deadline is where contending teams improve for a run and i’m 100% down for making a splash there but there’s no reason to rock the boat when the sailing is smooth.

Yes, they have not.

Reactions: LouJersey

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
You are referring to Chiarelli the Stanley Cup winner ? I do recall the guy. Gave me the first cup in a 40 year fandom. Now i get that even EVOLVED PRIMATES have short memories and dont quite understand the talent level this GM took over when he was handed the keys to a Stanley Cup core all in their mid to late 20s and Chara a super human. Ya see, there were no deficiencies here that could not have been easily over come by a smart, well thought out GM who understood that he did not have to panic.

As i recall Nathan Horton was about the same point in his career as Evander Kane when that (other Harvard guy) brilliantly made a HOCKEY TRADE (does the current Harvard guy know what a hockey trade is ?) and helped complete a CUP win by surrounding his nucleus with actual NHL grizzled veteran talent. I also remember that Horton was a tough young mule and not the most liked in his locker room after time...Known as a me guy.

Now your arrogance in thinking you actually know what Evander Kane is shows me all i need to know about your ability to fill the world in on the 20 something human brain. You may be smarter then all of us. I bet you even were the only one to know that Phil Kessel would go on to win two Stanley Cups after all the stuff this fan base said bad things about him. Were you a fanboy then? look it up and let us know how it turned out for Kessel and Horton?....You wont find it under documentary section, more non fiction area. My bet is Kane lifts Stanley some day and you then run here and ask why we could not get him. Like a fanboy.

And i feel so bad that Sweeney had to inherit guys like Bergeron and Pastrnack , Krejci, Chara, Rask, Krug, Lucic, Hamilton, I mean, whats a GM to do with that rag tag bunch....Bet the fans in LA, Chicago and Pittsburgh have been very glad there GMs did not have the same thought process as ours....I mean, none of those teams were in CAP hell........Right ???.
Yet they have 3 cups each the last ten years because they made great hockey trades, didnt panic and simply tweaked instead of just giving up and building for 5 years down the road. And BTW.....Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Pasta, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Sherman......All Chiarelli picks ...So the cubbards were not exactly as baren as you want us to think. Or did you even know this stuff ???.

Lets see what he can do now that this team has all the talent stocked and the nucleus to actually go after the Stanley cup. One thing though.....I just hope the GM understands that the idea is to actually win the cup.

Wow, first of all you were wrong in your first post - it wasn't Sweeney that missed the playoffs twice. Secondly, before you break your ankles jumping to conclusions there is a pretty good chance that I am older than you and been a 'fan' of this team quite a bit longer than 40 years, very close to approaching 50 in fact. Thirdly, you stated that a monkey could of done what Sweeney has done - I'm just pointing out the obvious fact that you, him and I are essentially evolved primates, so sure, you're right a monkey could of done what he did. Horton - Kane comparison okay I get the lack of playoff angle but Horton's career in Florida was not dogged by character issues, Kane's career in Atlanta, Winnipeg and Buffalo has been. You want to add a power forward, good, so do I but I value character as well as ability - so get someone else.
Merry Christmas!

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
You didn't check very hard as Sweeney signed him to a four year extension 18 months ago.
So what, He was originally bought here by Chiarelli, who has wrongly been accused of leaving this team in tatters and prospect empty which simply is very far from the truth.
So please tell me again, How did Miller become a Bruin ?

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
So what, He was originally bought here by Chiarelli, who has wrongly been accused of leaving this team in tatters and prospect empty which simply is very far from the truth.
So please tell me again, How did Miller become a Bruin ?

Hard work and determination, because Chia brought him in for Providence.

He spent his first 64 games in the P and was signed to a one year two way extension by Chia after that.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
With all due respect, I cannot shake the image of an orangutan pounding on the keyboard and coming up with this.

Too many flaws to comment on, but if you’d told me an orangutan could come up with this I’d not have believed it.

So, if you are a highly trained primate I give you an A plus.

If a homo sapien, I’m afraid I’m going to have give you a D minus. It’s Christmas after all, so an F would be kind of dicky.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Hard work and determination, because Chia brought him in for Providence.

He spent his first 64 games in the P and was signed to a one year two way extension by Chia after that.
Thats all i was Saying.

So Miller, Heinen, Cehlarik, Danoto, Krug, Pasta, Bjork, Fitzgerald, Sherman........All young players Chiarelli left us with.

He didnt leave the team in such shape after all. Give me a guy who goes for the gusto and gets dirty and willing to put his skin in the game in order to win the Cup anyday then some guy who sits and waits, and year after year refuses to help his roster with significant NHL established talent while is Cup winning Nucleus ages.

Pretty clear to me how the team has been run. And 35 thousand plus posts are not gonna change how i think.

Waitched some o
With all due respect, I cannot shake the image of an orangutan pounding on the keyboard and coming up with this.

Too many flaws to comment on, but if you’d told me an orangutan could come up with this I’d not have believed it.

So, if you are a highly trained primate I give you an A plus.

If a homo sapien, I’m afraid I’m going to have give you a D minus. It’s Christmas after all, so an F would be kind of dicky.
YAWN....YAWN.......Your problem is you cant name those flaws can you, so instead, you spit in the wind and get all wet all over yourself.......................Thanks for stopping by.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
YAWN....YAWN.......Your problem is you cant name those flaws can you, so instead, you spit in the wind and get all wet all over yourself.......................Thanks for stopping by.
Says the guy who claims a monkey could do what Sweeney has....

And yet a moment ago you respond to a poster in another thread who says..... “Bruins hockey is exciting to watch again” by saying “And it should get better and better as the season goes on....“

Pick a stance. I know that’s hard, but if you can’t do that you come across looking like a monkey.... and not a particularly bright monkey at that.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

Ok we get it any and all success going forward should be attributed to Chirelli and any and all short comings should be attributed to Sweeny. Sounds fair. Should we also be blaming Sweeny for the Oilers being in jeopardy of once again missing the playoffs this year dispite being expected to challenge for top spot in the west? Just checking.

Ok we get it. Any and all success going forward should be attributed to Chiarelli any and all shortcomings should be attributed to Sweeney. Sounds fair. Should we also contribute the fact that the Oilers are sitting in second last in the west and in danger of once again missing the Playoffs despite expectations of challenging for top spot in the West to Sweeny? Just checking.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So Miller, Heinen, Cehlarik, Danoto, Krug, Pasta, Bjork, Fitzgerald, Sherman........All young players Chiarelli left us with.

Chiarelli deserves the credit for being apart of the staffs that picked these guys but Sweeney was also apart of those staffs. Do we forget that? Sweeney didn't come out of nowhere. He was right there when the Bruins picked a lot of these guys. He also got Bjork to leave school early and go professional. He signed Heinen (getting him to leave school early as well). He signed Fitzgerald, a player that could have easily gone the UFA route and found a job elsewhere (getting him to the NHL quicker). He re-signed Pastrnak to a steal of a contract. He re-signed Krug to a steal of a contract. He re-signed Miller which is looking like a great value deal (granted at the time, I'm sure a lot weren't happy with the move. I'll eat crow on that one).

I think it's pretty ignorant on your part to call Sweeney a monkey but praise Chiarelli when both were apart of the staff that picked these guys. Taking them is the first step, Sweeney finished it off by getting them signed.

Reactions: zaYG

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Says the guy who claims a monkey could do what Sweeney has....

And yet a moment ago you respond to a poster in another thread who says..... “Bruins hockey is exciting to watch again” by saying “And it should get better and better as the season goes on....“

Pick a stance. I know that’s hard, but if you can’t do that you come across looking like a monkey.... and not a particularly bright monkey at that.
Obviously you dont get my beef......And this team is not Don Sweeney's team far from it.......Sweeney has contributed Charlie McAvoy and Carlo (jury is out) and DeBrusk............The Nucleus was here and Heinen, Miller, Bjork and Pasta are all Chiarelli guys......As are many others he bought in. Like Rask and Chara. RASK was a TRADE (steal). Maybe someone should break that concept to Sweeney. A trade that actually helps the current roster compete.

So while i love McAvoy and DeBrusk.......I am not sure waiting three years to fill those positions could not have been done sooner.

You Sweeney guys are acting like he built this team, and that is a reach even for an obvious Fanboy like you.....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Obviously you dont get my beef......And this team is not Don Sweeney's team far from it.......Sweeney has contributed Charlie McAvoy and Carlo (jury is out) and DeBrusk............The Nucleus was here and Heinen, Miller, Bjork and Pasta are all Chiarelli guys......As are many others he bought in. Like Rask and Chara. RASK was a TRADE (steal). Maybe someone should break that concept to Sweeney. A trade that actually helps the current roster compete.

So while i love McAvoy and DeBrusk.......I am not sure waiting three years to fill those positions could not have been done sooner.

You Sweeney guys are acting like he built this team, and that is a reach even for an obvious Fanboy like you.....

Chara, Savard and Rask are all from Gorton. Also, thank you Mike O'Connell for extending Tim Thomas...speaking of Thomas, thank God nobody took Chia up on his offer to peddle T Squared for peanuts to the Caps or Flyers prior to the start of the '11 season. I remember Manny Fernandez being Chia's original choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad