Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Really not much against barroway. He was a perfectly mediocre owner who presided over some very mediocre teams. They were quiet years I never thought i’d really miss until now tbh
Met the guy. Very personable. Dad was a pediatrician. Took the time to find out something about me and discussed a commonality.

Reactions: Knights2017

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I think he's talking about compared to the Meruelo group.
He's what he said: From my experience, I think most people we encountered had a generally positive opinion of the organization prior to the sale as leadership was more competent (not that that’s very impressive, I know) and the general staff was so talented. That shifted very negatively when Meruelo hires took leadership positions.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He's what he said: From my experience, I think most people we encountered had a generally positive opinion of the organization prior to the sale as leadership was more competent (not that that’s very impressive, I know) and the general staff was so talented. That shifted very negatively when Meruelo hires took leadership positions.
More competent than Meruelo's group is how I interpret that. General staff being talented is kind of irrelevant to be fair but Meruelo also did cut back massively on pretty much every department.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
More competent than Meruelo's group is how I interpret that. General staff being talented is kind of irrelevant to be fair but Meruelo also did cut back massively on pretty much every department.

So competent they were losing millions each year, and the owner was going broke fast.

New owner comes in and the first thing you’re going to see are cuts everywhere. Something that happens in any takeover of a money losing venture.

Yet he manages to allow his new GM build the largest (and probably most expensive) hockey-ops department the franchise ever had in its existence. Because you’re on-ice product is what eventually brings the cash in.

It’s not being “cheap”…. it’s trying to be more efficient fiscally. Which does include a fair amount of pain and bruised feelings among those still riding the ship.

It’s the nature of the beast.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yet he manages to allow his new GM build the largest (and probably most expensive) hockey-ops department the franchise ever had in its existence. Because you’re on-ice product is what eventually brings the cash in.
Let's that GM finally do a proper rebuild, load the organization with tons of talent and picks giving us a shot of finally being more than a bottom feeder for the first freaking time and only THEN does the decades long relocation threat become real. All because he thought he could strong arm everyone including the ONLY viable arena available. Then got his ass handed to him only to come out smelling like a rose with a shit ton of cash. Again, the only people that lose is the fans like we have been losing for pretty much their whole existence. Best case scenario is he set us back another freaking decade by pulling the rug out right when we finally had hope. This I'll never forgive whether the team comes back or not. I was thinking this was a perfectly executed grift but the more I read about this dip shit and his son, the more I think he wasn't smart enough for that. I'd like to know more about how he came into his wealth. I'm thinking business acumen wasn't the main factor.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Let's that GM finally do a proper rebuild, load the organization with tons of talent and picks giving us a shot of finally being more than a bottom feeder for the first freaking time and only THEN does the decades long relocation threat become real. All because he thought he could strong arm everyone including the ONLY viable arena available. Then got his ass handed to him only to come out smelling like a rose with a shit ton of cash. Again, the only people that lose is the fans like we have been losing for pretty much their whole existence. Best case scenario is he set us back another freaking decade by pulling the rug out right when we finally had hope. This I'll never forgive whether the team comes back or not. I was thinking this was a perfectly executed grift but the more I read about this dip shit and his son, the more I think he wasn't smart enough for that. I'd like to know more about how he came into his wealth. I'm thinking business acumen wasn't the main factor.

Funny…. Never thought he strong armed Tempe. In fact he gave a ton of concessions to the city if you look at the original proposal against the final one.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's just it (imo), the staff was talented enough to see the organization through, until the asshat's asshatery started. Once they started letting quality people go and ignoring any quality people they had retained, it started to go (further) downhill.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So competent they were losing millions each year, and the owner was going broke fast.

New owner comes in and the first thing you’re going to see are cuts everywhere. Something that happens in any takeover of a money losing venture.

It’s not being “cheap”…. it’s trying to be more efficient fiscally. Which does include a fair amount of pain and bruised feelings among those still riding the ship.

It’s the nature of the beast.
Balance in life glasshoppa.

While i applaud the sorely needed improvements to hockey ops, the utter failure on the business side is what brought this on. He should have known better, he should have at least followed BA's lead and evaluated some, rather than coming in gun's a blaz'n, tearing down just for the sake of tearing down.

Reactions: Edenjung

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Balance in life glasshoppa.

While i applaud the sorely needed improvements to hockey ops, the utter failure on the business side is what brought this on. He should have known better, he should have at least followed BA's lead and evaluated some, rather than coming in gun's a blaz'n, tearing down just for the sake of tearing down.
Change is difficult at times.

You either adapt or get buried. It sucks, I know. Been caught in it myself.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

This is a great summary, and it reinforces why I have come around to being glad that the team is in Utah with someone who gives a f***... and why I have almost no hope for our state's future.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hope can be restored when AM is no longer involved.

Honestly, I think the failson is worse than the dad. If Meruelo would just hire someone competent and knowledgable to run the hockey business - no "empty suits" like Gutierrez - he could stand back and not be involved and just roll himself out once every five years to wave at the masses and then disappear again with nobody the wiser.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Honestly, I think the failson is worse than the dad. If Meruelo would just hire someone competent and knowledgable to run the hockey business - no "empty suits" like Gutierrez - he could stand back and not be involved and just roll himself out once every five years to wave at the masses and then disappear again with nobody the wiser.
Strange to give the reins to BA like he did but give key roles to Jr and AG. Had he done what you are suggesting, he would've been a lot better off. Ultimately, he didn't/doesn't know what he is doing and has not placed qualified people in key positions to overcome his deficiencies.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I get that the franchise was bleeding money and AM was trying to save wherever he could while he worked on an arena. What I don't get is how he could seem so lackadaisical about getting the arena done in general so he could start making money instead of losing it.

Seemed allergic to the path of least resistance too.

He's spinning his wheels and getting nowhere and it's pretty easy to see that he was the main reason things didn't go better. I can't find any sense of urgency on his part, only a complete lack of situational awareness paired with subpar effort, add in some arrogance.

Either that or he gave zero shits about the team in reality, just the ED. Almost 5 years and he still doesn't even have a piece of land to build an arena on and might never get one. Is he really even trying?

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I get that the franchise was bleeding money and AM was trying to save wherever he could while he worked on an arena. What I don't get is how he could seem so lackadaisical about getting the arena done in general so he could start making money instead of losing it.

Seemed allergic to the path of least resistance too.

He's spinning his wheels and getting nowhere and it's pretty easy to see that he was the main reason things didn't go better. I can't find any sense of urgency on his part, only a complete lack of situational awareness paired with subpar effort, add in some arrogance.

Either that or he gave zero shits about the team in reality, just the ED. Almost 5 years and he still doesn't even have a piece of land to build an arena on and might never get one. Is he really even trying?
In sports terminology, he got invited to the show but quickly shit his pants and showed everyone that he's actually a minor leaguer. I guess he has a chance to prove everyone wrong starting on June 27th but unfortunately I'm not confident he can, I fear this is one of those walks like a duck scenarios.

Reactions: PainForShane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad