Does Weise have top 6 potential?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I find Weise to be a curious case with fans...

I've never seen a guy overachieve and get hated for it

How is he overachleving?
95% of the game is spent without the puck.
When he is delivering consistently in this area he will become a star.
So far this isn't close to happening.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He's already a top9 RW with some upside. He should just try to copy Gallagher's style, everygame.

Instead of doing it for 10games and then trying to be a sniper like Max.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Dale just needs to keep it simple. He's not skilled but does have a great stride, big body and decent hockey sense. He's a decent 3rd liner but should never play more than 12-13 minutes a game under a competent coach.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

+100000000 (and I don't even think he's over-achieving...he just never got the proper chances in Vancouver...now he is).

He's an awesome top 6-9 playoff warrior.
Also amazing in case of injuries...since he can fill in sometimes in the top 6 (sometimes or more often than sometimes).

I really don't get this fanbase sometimes...Weise is so good for our Habs, and yet...there are still some fans who bash...I don't understand.

We're so lucky Bergevin made that brilliant trade (Diaz for Weise).

Playoff warriors:
PK Subban, Dale Weise, Gallagher, Mitchell...we need more playoff warriors, not less.

Go Weise Go!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How is he overachleving?
95% of the game is spent without the puck.
When he is delivering consistently in this area he will become a star.
So far this isn't close to happening.

A star? Dale Weise?

Yeah...anyways, he's headed towards a 15-20 goal season. Seems like overachieving to me.

You think he has star potential...to each his own I guess

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Weise is a 3rd liner. Like, Desharnais and Fleishmann.

In fact all 3 are top tier 3rd liners in this league. MT just needs to keep them on the 3rd line.

I'm fine with a top six of:

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher/Carr
Eller Galchenyuk Ghetto/Carr

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

+100000000 (and I don't even think he's over-achieving...he just never got the proper chances in Vancouver...now he is).

He's an awesome top 6-9 playoff warrior.
Also amazing in case of injuries...since he can fill in sometimes in the top 6 (sometimes or more often than sometimes).

I really don't get this fanbase sometimes...Weise is so good for our Habs, and yet...there are still some fans who bash...I don't understand.

We're so lucky Bergevin made that brilliant trade (Diaz for Weise).

Playoff warriors:
PK Subban, Dale Weise, Gallagher, Mitchell...we need more playoff warriors, not less.

Go Weise Go!!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A star? Dale Weise?

Yeah...anyways, he's headed towards a 15-20 goal season. Seems like overachieving to me.

You think he has star potential...to each his own I guess

He could hit 30 if he remained consistent game in game out.
Look how many he just flat out misses for lack of focus.
30 would certainly make him a star with our present group if guys.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Fair enough...I don't agree that he could hit 30, that's hard for a lot of natural goal scorers to achieve.

I agree he does miss alot of chances for lack of focus and I think that's what separates him from more accomplished scorers, because I do think he's got more skill then he's given credit for.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fair enough...I don't agree that he could hit 30, that's hard for a lot of natural goal scorers to achieve.

I agree he does miss alot of chances for lack of focus and I think that's what separates him from more accomplished scorers, because I do think he's got more skill then he's given credit for.

He's got 11 he's flat out missed 5 and he has disappeared for games on end.
Let's face it both he and Carr aren't the prettiest players but given opportunity they can fill the net with the ugly type of goals we need as a team to be successful.
The last time we had any pretty goals on a consistent basis was when TV Max and Davey went Harlem Globetrotter for a couple of weeks.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, absolutely not. Lacks defensive awareness to play against top lines on a regular basis (and doesn't compensate on offense).

Still, his skillset could be used on a Top-6 for a short period (like one or two shifts) if a particular top-6 line needs what he brings.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Do we have a better power forward than Weise?

Currently nope and someone should convince him we don't need two Patches on this team.
That hard along the boards, drive the net, and pucks bouncing in off are all good.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
It was nice to see one of our three slumping offensive superstars breakout and score a goal last night.

Sword

May 26, 2014
He isn't overachieving, he's put in a position to succeed, he's getting quality PP time and 1st line minutes

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Criticism of any Montreal player is merely deflecting attention from the real problem. Montreal is a smallish fast team built for a quick strike game. Montreal sadly needs size and strength down the middle to complete for the cup. As constructed the team is good for playoffs in the eastern conference but wouldnt compete for the cup even if firing on all cylinders.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I don't think so. He's an elite 4th liner and a capable 3rd liner, that's pretty much it. I'll be surprised if he ever cracks 20 goals. I miss the old Weise though, the one who doesn't play like a soft wannabe sniper.

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario
I don't think so. He's an elite 4th liner and a capable 3rd liner, that's pretty much it. I'll be surprised if he ever cracks 20 goals. I miss the old Weise though, the one who doesn't play like a soft wannabe sniper.

He's been anointed superstar thanks to his coach.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

30 goals?? Dale Weise?? Are you freaking crazy?? :laugh: Dude, come on now...
He's lucky to even have 11 goals.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...he's a short-term Top 6 fix while you're dealing with injuries...at best...he's a very capable Bottom 6er; that's what he is and that's where he should play...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Dale just needs to keep it simple. He's not skilled but does have a great stride, big body and decent hockey sense. He's a decent 3rd liner but should never play more than 12-13 minutes a game under a competent coach.

Totally agree. Superb 3rd liner. A trade MB actually won

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who hates Dale Weise?

there are countless posts tearing MT for playing Weise as much as he does.

Even though he's clearly our best option at RW at the moment

I also seem to recall a debate with you about you preferring your boy Sekac over him.

Even last night, I ready many comments about playing Weise during 3 on 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad