Does Weise have top 6 potential?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
That is a good article on Weise in the Gazette. We're lucky to have him.

This whole discussion about whether Weise is a grinder, a fourth liner, third liner, first liner, etc, although necessary I suppose, is also depressing. What I love about Weise is that he refuses to accept his supposed station in life and rises to the occasion. I love seeing him on the first line and I hope he stays productive. This is a good story and that's part of enjoying sports, too.

PricePkPatch*

Dale Weise is Dale Weise.

He will go wherever you need him, and he will do his damn best, regardless of whatever ceiling you would attribute him.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
To me, Weise is a 'deluxe' grinder, a crash-and-bang complimentary winger who will do all the dirty work, akin to a PF, but with less skill and aggression, but with more zeal. We're lucky to have that guy, great, great catch by Bergevin, especially for Diaz...

Now, I don't think he can sustain that pace, and would rather we get a real 1st liner, or at least, a top 6 RW, but at the same time, what do I know, maybe it's his coming out party...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
No one here knew anything about him at the time of the trade. He's proved that it was very worthwhile. I particularly enjoy the way he irks the Bruins.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Dale Weise is Dale Weise.

He will go wherever you need him, and he will do his damn best, regardless of whatever ceiling you would attribute him.

I'm not saying he definitely is a top 6 guy, but in the NHL, this is the first chance he's gotten. In Vancouver Tortorella and co saw him as a banger and scrapper.

I don't see any downside to leaving him in the top 6 until he proves he isn't a top 6 guy. Parenteau and a rental could be other options later on.

Last 15 games 5-5-10.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think his success can be attributed to his style of play and the way it compliments the guys he's currently playing with. Patches is kinda soft so having a guy like Weise that can win puck battles and make defensemen check over their shoulders when going into the corners is a real asset. I think Sekac would be perfect on this line as well.

PricePkPatch*

I'm not saying he definitely is a top 6 guy, but in the NHL, this is the first chance he's gotten. In Vancouver Tortorella and co saw him as a banger and scrapper.

I don't see any downside to leaving him in the top 6 until he proves he isn't a top 6 guy. Parenteau and a rental could be other options later on.

Just think of the sort of example he sets for most of our guys. Especially our youngsters.

No matter what they have been told regarding their ceiling, it allow them to believe they can make it. Just play like Weise.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
He doesn't have the skill of a top 6 forward, but he's been doing well as a complementary player on Pacioretty's line.

When you think about it though, how many 1st lines in the NHL actually consist of 3 first line players? Its not uncommon in the league now to try to spread out your top players over 2 or even 3 lines in order to have better depth.

The Pacioretty-DD combo has always played best when they have a RW that is willing to do the dirty work, go to the net, retrieve the puck, but still have enough hockey sense to keep up with them. Up until now, the only guy that really fit that mold was Gallagher. If Weise is able to keep up his current level of play, this is something he can provide to that line, which frees Gallagher up to play somewhere else.

I don't think Weise is a first liner, but he has enough hockey sense and is playing well enough to keep up with top 6 players, which is allowing the forwards lines to be better rounded overall.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think his success can be attributed to his style of play and the way it compliments the guys he's currently playing with. Patches is kinda soft so having a guy like Weise that can win puck battles and make defensemen check over their shoulders when going into the corners is a real asset. I think Sekac would be perfect on this line as well.

Right now, the big difference between Sekac and Weise is that Weise shows up to work every night. Sekac seems to take a lot of nights off, maybe it's just the NA rookie thing. I'm not ready to label him as not being a top 6 guy down the road, but at this point Weise looks a lot more like a top 6 guy than Sekac.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He doesn't have the skill of a top 6 forward, but he's been doing well as a complementary player on Pacioretty's line.

When you think about it though, how many 1st lines in the NHL actually consist of 3 first line players? Its not uncommon in the league now to try to spread out your top players over 2 or even 3 lines in order to have better depth.

The Pacioretty-DD combo has always played best when they have a RW that is willing to do the dirty work, go to the net, retrieve the puck, but still have enough hockey sense to keep up with them. Up until now, the only guy that really fit that mold was Gallagher. If Weise is able to keep up his current level of play, this is something he can provide to that line, which frees Gallagher up to play somewhere else.

I don't think Weise is a first liner, but he has enough hockey sense and is playing well enough to keep up with top 6 players, which is allowing the forwards lines to be better rounded overall.

That pretty much sums it up. People are way too wrapped up in who is a 1st liner and who is a 2nd liner or 3rd liner. If a line works together, that's 75% of the battle.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Personally, I think he's a 3rd liner whose style of play merits 1st line duty on occasion just to mix things up. Kind of like when Moen used to play with Plekanec, only thus far much better. I no longer believe he's a 4th line guy, definitely a solid 3rd liner in my books.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'd admit I was wrong about him but I really don't think he has top6 skill or IQ. I guess I was wrong about how he would perform in such a role.

Really confounding player.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
You know what I love about the Weise goal vs Boston? He got by both Chara and Bergeron and then beat them to the net on the rebound. How often can anyone say that?

Weise is also much bigger than Gallagher and can take the punishment.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Weise is 3rd liner thats doin a solid job fillin a hole.no way is he a long term solution.i fully expect an upgrade on him,eller and dd .may not happen this year but it will.

PricePkPatch*

Weise is 3rd liner thats doin a solid job fillin a hole.no way is he a long term solution.i fully expect an upgrade on him,eller and dd .may not happen this year but it will.

He is a threath to any RW that might want to take it easy.

"How about you move your ass before i just put Weise in your place and allow him to score?"

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
That is a good article on Weise in the Gazette. We're lucky to have him.

This whole discussion about whether Weise is a grinder, a fourth liner, third liner, first liner, etc, although necessary I suppose, is also depressing. What I love about Weise is that he refuses to accept his supposed station in life and rises to the occasion. I love seeing him on the first line and I hope he stays productive. This is a good story and that's part of enjoying sports, too.

Yeah, I just read the Gazette article.

An excellent sports story.

I loved the part about how he first gets to Montreal after the trade... and is sitting in his hotel room looking out the window at the Bell Center, thinking "WTF just happened here?" :handclap:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
This is a relaly good article. I enjoyed reading it. As much flak as we give Weise for being on the top line, it's not his fault and this article really shows how much he respects and feels honour wearing the CH. This is the type of players it takes to win, ones that feel lucky to be here, not entitled.

On 24CH they did a piece on Weise and to see all of the Habs stuff he had as a kid you really get the feeling that he understands how about wearing the CH is. His Dad is a huge fan too. He was showing off his own personal jersey and all of his habs stuff too. It was such a great scene to see. A father and son living their own dreams. This must truly be exciting for them.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
On 24CH they did a piece on Weise and to see all of the Habs stuff he had as a kid you really get the feeling that he understands how about wearing the CH is. His Dad is a huge fan too. He was showing off his own personal jersey and all of his habs stuff too. It was such a great scene to see. A father and son living their own dreams. This must truly be exciting for them.

Man that piece on 24CH filled me with pride, his dad being all gitty about him playing for the Habs. His stuff looks super old too, like clothing from 1995 haha.

He's sure as hell making me bite my tongue about being on the first thats for sure. He deserves to be up there, but for how long, time will tell.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
as likable as the guy is, think people need to chill a bit...

up to the last 3 or 4 games, him playing on the top 6 meants him going in 4, 5 or 6 games pointless streak A LOT, he's not a 1st liner, he's not not now and never will be.

he's a filler, nothing more. A great one that is trying his best whatever situation he's put in, but that doesnt make him a top 3 or top 6 forward.

Enjoy the ride, but dont go thinking he's a permanent fixture on our top 6. (wich I'm starting to read more and more last few days)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I find Weise to be a curious case with fans...

I've never seen a guy overachieve and get hated for it

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4