Does Matthews leave for the US after his contract expires?

Does Matthews sign with a US based team after next season?

• Total voters

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They have a ton of cap coming up
You keep repeating that, but have dodged the question 3-4 times, from me and few other times from leafs posters.
You say a lot of things but unfortunately they lack any substance when challenged.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
But if that's the case, why is Matthews signed for the worst possible term? Why not 8 years? Why not 4 years? Why the exact 5-year term that allows him to go UFA as early as possible?
4 years would be as early as possible. 5 was 1 UFA year.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
If even Matthews ups and leaves for a different place it really will seem like Canadian franchises are f***ed. McDavid's under contract for 4 more seasons, would he stick around with Edmonton if they couldn't give him a competitive chance at a cup?

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
If even Matthews ups and leaves for a different place it really will seem like Canadian franchises are f***ed. McDavid's under contract for 4 more seasons, would he stick around with Edmonton if they couldn't give him a competitive chance at a cup?
No. He will move on as well.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why would he stay with a team with no upcoming players, a messed up cap situation and probably the all-time record in consecutive first round exits? No #1 goalie and no #1 all situations dman.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
He's the face of the franchise and it seems like the Leafs will do everything they can to re-sign him. Highly doubt he will leave, but he might be desirous of being the "meat" in a Laine and Gaudreau sandwich. As others have said, he'll likely either stay or leave for Columbus.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
You keep repeating that, but have dodged the question 3-4 times, from me and few other times from leafs posters.
You say a lot of things but unfortunately they lack any substance when challenged.
You're claiming this about me?
I don't see it as not having "Enough" players under contract and cap issues at all. End of story

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bald guys look much better tanned. His hairline will rapidly retreat for the next two years, then he can sign in SoCal or Arizona.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think he'll see what other teams have to offer.

From there it depends on who rolls out the red carpet.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
A minority?

And 4 players under contract.

Context, context, context...

You don't?

Hyperactive optimism...
It's just weird suddenly not having enough players under contract is a big concern. Never heard this before.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
Moving of the goal posts?

Great way to avoid the crux of the matter.
How so? I stated I've never heard this as a concern before in regards to any team. That's not at all like "Moving goal posts" LOL.
Leafs are in terrible "Cap hell" now. Tons of cap available soon, also terrible.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He signs for 5 years at 13.4 million and uses that money and his sponsorship money to buy the Arizona Coyotes, joins them after that and becomes GM/Captain and coach.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just don't see it. Toronto is a high pressure environment but it's only positive attention for their top player. Whenever there is a bad outcome for the team like their first round exit streak , any media calls for accountability leave Matthews unscathed. He’s golden there. I just don't see him leaving

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Didnt you heard he train with Mcdavid the summer

Mcdavid to Toronto to play with him

So i say he stay

Ps if that really happen i will be a lil bit nervous

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I just don't see it. Toronto is a high pressure environment but it's only positive attention for their top player. Whenever there is a bad outcome for the team like their first round exit streak , any media calls for accountability leave Matthews unscathed. He’s golden there. I just don't see him leaving

I like this one, turn that he wants to stay into a backhanded slam. nice job.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
But if that's the case, why is Matthews signed for the worst possible term? Why not 8 years? Why not 4 years? Why the exact 5-year term that allows him to go UFA as early as possible?
4 years would have walked him to UFA status the quickest not 5.
He signed for the same term coming of his ELC as Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Towes, and Kessel and all 5 of those guys signed extensions with their teams after.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Like, maybe?

Wherever he ends up, I'll root for the guy. He's an absolute joy to witness. What a player.

I could see him leaving for the Coyotes if their new arena and all that is going well. I could also see him signing with the Rangers.

The guy is a star who get's crapped on, put him on a US team and suddenly everyone "realizes" just how good this guy is.

Hey, he signed a deal that takes him to UFA. If he re-signs with the Leafs......well lucky us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad