Does Matthews leave for the US after his contract expires?

Does Matthews sign with a US based team after next season?

• Total voters

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
I think he walks right to UFA. No one is going to give the Leafs more value than he is worth to the team during his last season while they're trying to contend, and Dubas (if still employed) will gamble that one of their next two playoff runs will get them over the hump.

Reactions: lawrence and Dumais

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
From what I hear he seems to really enjoy Toronto so I would say he will stay. It doesnt hurt Toronto that the logical US city for him to go to is one of the worst franchises in the history of sport.

Reactions: Eltuna

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
He could have signed a longer contract if staying in Toronto was his #1 priority.

I think it depends on how far the Leafs advance the next 2 seasons. If the best they do is a round or two then I think he bolts for warmer pastures.

Reactions: COHawk

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I would say likely he is gone but in Toronto's favor, they are the one Canadian team that has been able to attract big names and keep their own fairly well.....of all the Canadian cities, Toronto is by far the most attractive to NHL players.....and add to that, if Toronto remains a strong team, that also might entice Matthews to stay......so it isn't a slam dunk though I still lean to him leaving but not dogmatically so.

• Haha
Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He’ll be on the Blackhawks with Bedard, Kane, Debrincat, Nazar, and Jones in 3 years :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad