Does Matthews leave for the US after his contract expires?

Does Matthews sign with a US based team after next season?

• Total voters

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
So dodged the question again eh, how the will the team look with 30 million for 15 guys.
It's juts interesting to me Leafs have the worst cap hell and are doomed. When things turn 180 and they have a ton of cap they are still doomed.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
So Leafs are screwed again?
I don't think I ever said they are "screwed", just that there's going to be a lot of work (and likely a lot of luck) to keep the Leafs competitive (and ultimately over the hump) into Matthews UFA years assuming that he does re-sign... but by all means, take your victory lap if the richest team in the NHL being a perennially first round exit is a success.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
I don't think I ever said they are "screwed", just that there's going to be a lot of work (and likely a lot of luck) to keep the Leafs competitive (and ultimately over the hump) into Matthews UFA years assuming that he does re-sign... but by all means, take your victory lap if the richest team in the NHL being a perennially first round exit is a success.
It's just funny the doom and gloom whether Leafs or at the cap max, or have the most cap avilable.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's just funny the doom and gloom whether Leafs or at the cap max, or have the most cap avilable.
They "have cap available" because players aren't signed that far in advance... I don't know if you truly understand what it means to be in a good cap situation, no offense. Let me know if you are interested in discussing this rationally, or if you just want to flex about "doom and gloomers" being dumb.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
They "have cap available" because players aren't signed that far in advance... I don't know if you truly understand what it means to be in a good cap situation, no offense. Let me know if you are interested in discussing this rationally, or if you just want to flex about "doom and gloomers" being dumb.
So that's a bad cap situation? Ok. I've never heard that argument before.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think he stays. Why would he want to leave? The Leafs are iconic and Toronto is a great city with a competitive team.

People are reading too much into his shorter contract; that was more about money than lack of commitment IMO.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Flexibility is your friend Toronto can sign Matthews next year and build around him if it works out.

It’s not hard. Most teams are having a real hard time making room. Toronto only has to add like 3 million.

Philly couldn’t even make room to get gaudreau. A hometown ufa was known to want to come home they had a year to plan and couldn’t get it done.

It’s rare to find a top team plan a year in advance to hold space for a player they can’t talk too.

We will see. Most likely he will follow the tkachuk blue print if he wants out. There is nothing like the star power of being a leaf in the global marketplace (nhl wise). He won’t leave them with nothing. And if dubas lets it happen it is unforgivable.

No one cares that JT left the isles. If Matthews left Toronto like that it would hugely hurt his brand. He would be a leper in the biggest hockey Market in the world

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Flexibility is your friend Toronto can sign Matthews next year and build around him if it works out.
Yes, building around Matthews is what they need to do. It's easier when you have a new wave of young guys coming up via the AHL on ELCs and two-way deals to fill depth roles the cheap. The more and more postseasons that a team makes, the harder that becomes to do. Requires both good scouting a good bit of luck. Building a good roster without good draft picks coming in through the system is very hard and requires even more luck by making highway robbery type of UFA signings and trades.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
if it were any other Canadian team/city, I say he’s gone.

Yeah. He’s probably going to head back to the southwest

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes, building around Matthews is what they need to do. It's easier when you have a new wave of young guys coming up via the AHL on ELCs and two-way deals to fill depth roles the cheap. The more and more postseasons that a team makes, the harder that becomes to do. Requires both good scouting a good bit of luck. Building a good roster without good draft picks coming in through the system is very hard and requires even more luck by making highway robbery type of UFA signings and trades.

To an extent sure. Except Toronto has some elcs thar are filling depth roles in the future. (Lilly/sandin. With knies/nickybobby/niemela/amirov hopefully coming )

More importantly they have a proven history of getting lots of serviceable players willing to sign for cheap.

They haven’t picked the best. (Ie Ritchie. Simmonds over Perry) but lots of players want to come here.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
"Leafs fans are the worst and most toxic!"

then a thread like this gets created haha.

Think McDavid may go home when his contract is up.

MacKinnon is missing Canada and the passion, he will likely head north.

Pastrnak is not happy with the aging core, he will be leaving in free agency.

This thread is so dumb.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
But if that's the case, why is Matthews signed for the worst possible term? Why not 8 years? Why not 4 years? Why the exact 5-year term that allows him to go UFA as early as possible?
They did buy one year as a UFA.

A 4-year contract would be the one which would bring him to UFA as soon as possible.

Again, great cap situation. One of the very best in the NHL. If Leafs get knocked for cap hell more than any team, they deserve kudos for having so much cap available.
You really did not understand the post you quoted, did you?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
The vast majority of the posters here that shit on Matthews over and over would absolutely love him if he played for any other team. Instead they take their hatred of his team and apply it to one of the best players in the league. It's a shame.
Great persecution complex.

Great answer.

Reactions: Kerberos

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They definitely needed to extend Rielly at whatever cap hit, even if you don't love the deal, a better "Number 1 Defenseman: isn't just gonna pop out of the sky.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Great persecution complex.
Cool?

He's one of the more polarizing players on HF despite being a top 2-5 player (depending on who you ask), he has an actual personality, and he's arguably the best American player right now. I'm not really sure why people seem to dislike him so much, but he dominates people's thoughts on HF for whatever reason. But yes, I'm just being a victim.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad