Does Matthews leave for the US after his contract expires?

Does Matthews sign with a US based team after next season?

• Total voters

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Toronto has never had a problem resigning the players they want to keep when they have cap space. Matthews will sign the highest AAV in the league next summer, It won't be suspenseful at all.

Marner and Nylander will be much more interesting.
But if that's the case, why is Matthews signed for the worst possible term? Why not 8 years? Why not 4 years? Why the exact 5-year term that allows him to go UFA as early as possible?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Tucker and who else is this list even right been so long I have a hard time remembering
Kubina?
It was Kubina. They still had a shot at the playoffs that year and wanted to go for it.

But if that's the case, why is Matthews signed for the worst possible term? Why not 8 years? Why not 4 years? Why the exact 5-year term that allows him to go UFA as early as possible?
Growing pains with a green GM.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I don't see it

He's trending to be an all time-great player and Toronto will give him whatever he wants to stay and then some, he seems to like the Toronto lifestyle. He already might be the best player to play for the Maple Leafs, I believe he wants the challenge of bringing a cup back to the city

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Best position himself to sign an 8-year deal for the most money the instant he is UFA eligible, maximize earnings.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's been posted in here like 5 times.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
Toronto has never had a problem resigning the players they want to keep when they have cap space. Matthews will sign the highest AAV in the league next summer, It won't be suspenseful at all.

Marner and Nylander will be much more interesting.
And they have over 50+ million in cap available coming up. Cap is not an issue.

It's been posted in here like 5 times.
Also, the 5 years was longer term than almost any other RFAs that signed at the time. Tkachuk getting 3 years really worked out well for calgary

Reactions: Rob Brown

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
So if you can’t win a round with 11.6 mil caphit matthews, do you expect to win a cup with 13 mil+ matthews? I happen to know the answer, do you?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
So if you can’t win a round with 11.6 mil caphit matthews, do you expect to win a cup with 13 mil+ matthews? I happen to know the answer, do you?
No, I don't think you know the answer, considering you aren't able to see into the future.

And if you 'can't win with Matthews', why would any other team want him? Wouldn't that make this whole thread pointless?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Also, the 5 years was longer term than almost any other RFAs that signed at the time. Tkachuk getting 3 years really worked out well for calgary
They have 50 million in cap space sure, but that is with 4 players signed to a contract. So after Matthews and Nylander supposedly sign ,that’s 6 players signed with 27 million left. Call it 30 million with cap increase.
So 14-17 players needed. So average of 2 million for those guys.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
They have 50 million in cap space sure, but that is with 4 players signed to a contract. So after Matthews and Nylander supposedly sign ,that’s 6 players signed with 27 million left. Call it 30 million with cap increase.
So 14-17 players needed. So average of 2 million for those guys.
Again, great cap situation. One of the very best in the NHL. If Leafs get knocked for cap hell more than any team, they deserve kudos for having so much cap available.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
No, I don't think you know the answer, considering you aren't able to see into the future.

And if you 'can't win with Matthews', why would any other team want him? Wouldn't that make this whole thread pointless?
Winning the cup isn’t about just star players, it’s about star players being able to outperform there caphit. you tell me I can’t look into the future. I say, in order to predict the future, you need to look at the past. And the past has said the highest caphit center to win a cup is Malkin’s 9.5 mil. i hear the narrative “but it’s ok to overpay your star players”. And I say, show me an even slightly overpaid star on a cup team in the cap era, I’ll wait….

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
It's a hard cap league. It's not like Leafs have a big advantage. What does it matter how much Matthews makes? It's not MLB. There are non playoff teams paying more for forwards than the Leafs are.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it depends on how this season goes.

If the Leafs bumble out in the first round again; I think there will be some serious introspection as far as whether or not he wants his legacy tied to a team that can't get out of the first round. I do think there would be some attraction for him to go to LA or NY where he can do his fashion stuff with more freedom.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Winning the cup isn’t about just star players, it’s about star players being able to outperform there caphit. you tell me I can’t look into the future. I say, in order to predict the future, you need to look at the past. And the past has said the highest caphit center to win a cup is Malkin’s 9.5 mil. i hear the narrative “but it’s ok to overpay your star players”. And I say, show me an even slightly overpaid star on a cup team in the cap era, I’ll wait….
You're sort of proving my point. If Matthews is overpaid and teams can't win with him, why does this thread exist? You're arguing that he isn't worth the money because he doesn't 'outperform his caphit', so why would any other team want to sign him? Better shut down this thread.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
Again, small sample size. First 10+ in cap era was 2015-16 season, then with Covid star cap hits declined. They didn't go up. How much can you put into this? Also, is 9.5 that much different from 10?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's nice that HF loves Austin as much as we do.

Obviously the odds heavily favor him staying a Leaf a long time but it's nice you guys found a support group.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's nice that HF loves Austin as much as we do.

Obviously the odds heavily favor him staying a Leaf a long time but it's nice you guys found a support group.
The vast majority of the posters here that shit on Matthews over and over would absolutely love him if he played for any other team. Instead they take their hatred of his team and apply it to one of the best players in the league. It's a shame.

I'm interested in seeing how much some American posters here will struggle to cheer for him if he plays in the Olympics for the US.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Again, great cap situation. One of the very best in the NHL. If Leafs get knocked for cap hell more than any team, they deserve kudos for having so much cap available.
Ya looks awesome, 2 million each for 15 players.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The vast majority of the posters here that shit on Matthews over and over would absolutely love him if he played for any other team. Instead they take their hatred of his team and apply it to one of the best players in the league. It's a shame.

I'm interested in seeing how much some American posters here will struggle to cheer for him if he plays in the Olympics for the US.
I find US fans are generally sane about Matthews.

Reactions: ACC1224

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And a whole roster to sign? What do you mean "cap is not an issue"... Cap is always an issue. As "neat" as it will be for Tavares to come off the books in a few years, they are going to need to basically re-work the entire defense while also hoping Rielly can stay a Number 1 Defenseman into his 30s.

NoTeeth

Aug 4, 2022
And a whole roster to sign? What do you mean "cap is not an issue"... Cap is always an issue. As "neat" as it will be for Tavares to come off the books in a few years, they are going to need to basically re-work the entire defense while also hoping Rielly can stay a Number 1 Defenseman into his 30s.
So Leafs are screwed again?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He's not even a number 1 defenseman now. The Leafs erred by extending Rielly at that salary. He's a points sponge off a talented forward group but the rest of his game isn't good enough to be a 1 on a contender.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad