Does a cup affect McDavid’s legacy?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ironically, this 26 page thread is a prelude to what his legacy will look like if he never wins a cup.

You're right. And it will only take 1 Cup to make future threads like this a moot point.

Reactions: #37

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
You're right. And it will only take 1 Cup to make future threads like this a moot point.
Don't worry, people will still find reasons to criticize him ;)

Something tells me that once he wins the cup, a cup will not be important for the legacy anymore...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Of course not leading a team to a Cup would negatively affect McDavid’s legacy. Imo he will say the same. He’s a great player and knows to be included with the all time greats (get into the top 10 all time) he needs to lead his club to at least one Cup. Likely more. Crosby lead his club to three. And he’s just breaking into that top ten of the greatest.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes but he needs to win one as the captain of the ship

Maybe some people will make that argument, but winning a Cup in any fashion removes the tag "best player to never win a Cup" from his name....and as such, helps his legacy, IMO.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I don't believe for a second you'll ever rank him above Crosby.
I don't believe for a second you'll ever rank him above Crosby.
Ive said it multiple times. A cup and smythe i would rank him above. However that doesnt mean i believe mcdavid was a better player. I think hes just been far more healthy thats the difference in their hardware. But as careers would go it would push sid to 6th on my list

Maybe some people will make that argument, but winning a Cup in any fashion removes the tag "best player to never win a Cup" from his name....and as such, helps his legacy, IMO.
Yes in that way it would help

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
If a player wants to be considered one of the best of all time, then he needs to lead his team to a cup.

Reactions: MuckOG

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
At this point, it looks very likely that McDavid will finish somewhere in the top five in Hart trophy voting. If that's the case, it will be his 8th consecutive year. The only players with longer streaks, in all of NHL history, are Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe.

Most consecutive seasons, top 5 in Hart voting (1924-2023)
  • 12x - Wayne Gretzky (1980 to 1991)
  • 10x - Gordie Howe (1957 to 1966)
  • 8x - Bobby Orr (1968 to 1975)
  • 7x - Connor McDavid (2017 to 2023) - soon to be 8x?
  • 6x - Bobby Hull (1964 to 1969)
  • 6x - Guy Lafleur (1975 to 1980)
  • 5x - Bobby Clarke (1973 to 1977)
  • 5x - Gordie Howe (1951 to 1955)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
At this point, it looks very likely that McDavid will finish somewhere in the top five in Hart trophy voting. If that's the case, it will be his 8th consecutive year. The only players with longer streaks, in all of NHL history, are Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe.

Gordie Howe being on there twice is stupid.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Yet again doing things only the Big Four have. All part of the journey to remolding it into a new Big Five.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
His postseason numbers are phenomenal as well yet, because of things out of his control his Oil teams have underwhelmed year in and year out (for the most part).
This is McDavid's fault. The great ones demand the best from those around them and don't have a plethora of excuses ready for when they fail. Dude isn't a winner, probably doesn't have the heart of a champion.
My question is does winning a cup affect his legacy or is it already firmly cemented in the top 10
He isn't in the top 20 until he can win a cup in Edmonton.

And? I replied to a post insinuating that he's only a great performer in the regular season.
When your best players are 100' players they don't win cups.

• Haha
Reactions: GreatGonzo

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
If he still doesn’t have a cup when his contract expires, I legit would not be shocked if he only signed 1 or 2 year deals with contenders until he wins one,
Maybe he can see if MacKinnon can help carry him to a cup?

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
Yes it will...all the greats have been alongside their play on the ice, stats, what they brought to the game, etc rightly judged on how many Stanley Cups they've won. As an example not many question Ovechkin's greatness now...prior to winning the Stanley Cup he was judged by Washington's failure in the playoffs. Now, he's widely regarded as the greatest goal scorer over the last 30 years and is close to #99's record. Steve Yzerman was another flashy forward who scored alot of points but his teams came up short until he changed his game to a 200ft one + alongside other like minded, elite talent + an all timer coach led his teams to 3 Stanley Cups. No one questions Stevie Y as an all time great and is regarded as one of the great leaders ever in hockey.

When Las Vegas beat Edmonton in February to end their win streak at 16 games...McDavid's reaction spoke volumes. He was upset and the entire bench knew about it. While it was the record sure but I bet he was more upset losing to the defending SC champs than tying Pittsburgh's record...he knows he will untimately be judged by how many SC rings he has. Fair or not...that is the reality.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He isn't in the top 20 until he can win a cup in Edmonton.

Yet he already is.

Real talk. Let’s pretend he leads the Oilers to a Cup during one of the two upcoming postseasons, aka the next 15 months.

What spot inside the top 20 does he leapfrog to for you?

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Yet he already is.
Nah, guy isn't a winner.
Let’s pretend he leads the Oilers to a Cup during one of the two upcoming postseasons, aka the next 15 months.
Great word usage.
What spot inside the top 20 does he leapfrog to for you?
Let's see if he can win a series vs a non Pacific team first. In most divisions he doesn't ever escape the 2nd round.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Nah, guy isn't a winner.

Great word usage.

Let's see if he can win a series vs a non Pacific team first. In most divisions he doesn't ever escape the 2nd round.

So you’re declining to engage in good faith about where inside the top 20 McDavid would land with a needed Cup win?

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
When your best players are 100' players they don't win cups.
Ignoring for a moment that your reply makes no sense in the context of my post, it's a good thing he's not a 100' player. Fancy stats, traditional stats, tracked skating distance, and the good ol' eye test support that.

• Haha
Reactions: Spirits

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Winning a cup can absolutely affect a player's legacy and reputation. Think about how Ovechkin would be perceived today if the Capitals hadn't managed to win a cup. Think about how we look back on Marcel Dionne's career.

McDavid is one of the best players the NHL has ever seen at an individual level. Careers, however, are built on championships and accolades. He has the personal accolades and will continue to win Harts, Art Ross's, Lindsays. The top 10 lists and stuff like that are just stupid fun made by fans. There's no way to objectively measure Greats when the league has such an old history and the game has evolved in so many facets. McDavid does need a Stanley Cup to be in the conversation though.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Let's say that Connor plays roughly the same amount of games that Sid has now. That is 1258 gp.
His current career PPG is 1.51. It probably won't be that way for his whole career. But if it was, he would have 1900 career points by the time he plays as many games as Sid has now. McDavid has a legitimate shot at being 2nd all time in points.

Doesn't mean a cup won't effect his legacy though. It won't make him a worse player. But he's got to win one ! I think if he wins a handful he could have a legitimate argument with the likes of Mario, Orr, etc for one of the best after Wayne.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00