Does a cup affect McDavid’s legacy?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It’s pretty unanimous Connor is the best player of this generation and among the best of all time already. Especially now that he’s the 5th fastest to 800. His postseason numbers are phenomenal as well yet, because of things out of his control his Oil teams have underwhelmed year in and year out (for the most part). My question is does winning a cup affect his legacy or is it already firmly cemented in the top 10. How much would winning a cup shoot him up the list or does it not change anything seeing how dominant he’s been since he joined the league?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, it does.

Has there been a generational player that hasn't won a Cup? It's literally what you play for. How can you be the greatest at something without ever reaching the pinnacles that your peers do?

Part of winning the Cup is it dispels the myth that you can't win. Remember Ovechkin? The argument was always he's a great player, but you can't win a Cup with him. He restructured his game, focused more on defence, his stats took a hit but he won a Cup.

If McDavid doesn't win a Cup, he'll be the best player to never win a Stanley Cup IMO. It will prevent him from being considered with the all-time greats. I'd have him behind Crosby if he can't win one.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Part of winning the Cup is it dispels the myth that you can't win. Remember Ovechkin? The argument was always he's a great player, but you can't win a Cup with him. He restructured his game, focused more on defence, his stats took a hit but he won a Cup.

I don’t like this argument. Ovechkin won his Cup because the team played well enough to, not because he restructured his game to focus more on defense. Peak Ovi was a better player than the Ovi that won the Cup.

I agree that a Cup affects McDavid’s legacy though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don’t like this argument. Ovechkin won his Cup because the team played well enough to, not because he restructured his game to focus more on defense. Peak Ovi was a better player than the Ovi that won the Cup.

He didn't restructure anything, if he did then he'd play like that every year and the caps wouldn't be bounced out in round 1 every single year since. As you said, the Caps as a unit pulled through but this is sports and your ultimate goal is to win regardless of how difficult and the greats are judged by their ability to win. If a team with McDavid never wins a cup that is 100% a black mark on his career and he'd be the first person to say so.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Yeah, but hockey is a team sport. Even the stats in hockey are team stats. McDavid would not get as many assists if he didn't have goalscoring teammates.

The closest personal stat in hockey is probably goals, and only unassisted goals at that. So almost all the metrics we judge McDavid on are already team stats, so I don't get why Cups can't be counted.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah, but hockey is a team sport. Even the stats in hockey are team stats. McDavid would not get as many assists if he didn't have goalscoring teammates.

The closest personal stat in hockey is probably goals, and only unassisted goals at that. So almost all the metrics we judge McDavid on are already team stats, so I don't get why Cups can't be counted.
It’s tricky because while I agree wholeheartedly about the team aspect, a player considered top 5 of all time should be able to will his team to a cup so long as they’re at least mediocre. I do think that leadership aspect factors in when you’re debating the players deserving to be on that Mount Rushmore of the nhl.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Every single player on the top 10 list has won the Cup.

Hell, every single player on the top 20 list has won the Cup too.

If we’re projecting McDavid as high as top 5 potentially, that has to come with a Cup.

I do expect that he will win at least one in his career though.

Last edited:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
If he doesnt get it done with the Oils, he'll have the opportunity to do it with another club (à la Raymond Bourque). I just can't imagine a legit top-10 player of all-time (when a is said and done) won't win a cup.

Reactions: banks

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
If McDavid never wins a Stanley Cup, then this will definitely be used against him in any debate considering his all-time status.

This rule has applied to every hockey superstar before him. Why would he be immune to this standard?

Even during times of expansion and salary cap, Crosby and Ovechkin achieved Stanley Cups.

McDavid needs to be held to the same standard.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
The team's goals against also affects the legacy of his super stats.

This absolutely does not matter lol.

"Remember that year Connor put up 100 points in 53 games?"

"Yeah but remember they were 16th overall in goals allowed, totally discredits the stats" - said nobody, ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00