Value of: Dobson's 8 years extension this summer

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
They already cheaped out on him with the bridge deal after his 51 point year. Time for long discount deal was 2 years ago. Now it's time to pay the punishment for offering the bridge. That's just how it goes.

Bridge deals are far better for the team. You give them their biggest contract in their prime, not before or after.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If someone waved 12 million in your face, you're not turning it down.

Taking a discount to help win a cup is the equivalent of betting the amount of the discount on your team winning. Would you bet 12 million that Lou can put together a cup winning team?
Billy Beane says whaddup.

Not everyone does everything for money, crazy as it sounds.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Tank for one season to get Hagens then the team wakes up after that and goes back to the Trotz era playoff runs.
As long as we see a Roy vs Torts meltdown along the way than the isles have carte Blanche in my books.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think you offer him 9.5-9.7 and hope he takes it. If not, you bang your head and then come back with a higher number. You can't lose him. Even while maintaining his rights, you cna't sour a relationship or have that player want out. He was drafted by the Islanders. Improves every year. You now have Barzal, Horvat, Dobson and Sorokin as your long term investments. Those are the players you build this team around going forward. Not a knock on Pulock or Pelech, but they're obviously older than a 24 year old.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What incentive does he have to take a "hometown" discount? Has he come out and said anything to indicate he would?
I'm not about to guess on what he will, but let's not act like there isn't evidence out there to show that it's as good a guess as any. Many Islander players took hometown discounts and every time they stated things like "love the guys in the room", "this is a special group", "we are family" blah blah. I'm not saying he's going to do it, but I also wouldn't question someone who chose that as their answer like it's some real far-fetched scenario.

As far as incentive, things like staying with a team you and area you like, giving the team a better chance to comprise a winning roster, etc. Who knows, but the incentive to take hometown deals exists all around the NHL. I don't get why people make contrary responses like this like they are better at predicting the future than others.
My response did not lean either way to whether he was or wasn't going to give a hometown discount. I was curious to see if there was actually any evidence of it or quotes from the player about it. Most players give the PC responses about how great the team is and how much they love it, but then go out and try to get as much money as they can, which they should.
Okay, but when has another player ever came out and said, "I'm going to take a hometown discount" lol. Just like we know there are going to be PC comments, they'll never be a smoking gun either. I really just don't see the point of you asking the OP to defend his opinion in this case. It's not a big deal, just thought it was strange you felt the need for him to elaborate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad