Value of: Dobson's 8 years extension this summer

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The occasional flub or miscalculation regarding players in closer quarters is simply part of being a defenseman who always has their head up to attack in transition. It happened to every defenseman who has ever played that way .... except Lidstrom who seemed to have otherworldly perceptual and cognitive skills so that he could look at the play & the puck simultaneously.
You know the rule, only magnify it because of the team the player plays on. Also, the whole game was won off of the inability for the Islanders to stay out of the box. 5v5 the game looked substantially different (even up until midway into the 3rd).

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
That’s actually why I’d be hesitant to sign him if I’m the Isles. He’d still be under team control after next year. Let him show he can repeat it before he gets big money. Sabres are probably wishing they did the same with Dahlin who’s still good but not deserving of 11 based on this year. It’ll be a big deal regardless, but might change things a mil or two
There are 31 NHL teams that will have zero reservations about signing him. He's still got a lot of room to improve and mature physically.

I'd HOPE for a sweetheart 8x8 deal but he'll probably land at 9 to 9.5 x 8 years.

He keeps making the nice passes in OT to the opposition he won't get 10 . Has great offensive skills but needs some work on his D . The kid can rack up the assists though as his high point total indicates .
Hey I found the guy who watched ONE Isles game this year. I'd bet a million dollars I know exactly which game he saw too.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You know the rule, only magnify it because of the team the player plays on. Also, the whole game was won off of the inability for the Islanders to stay out of the box. 5v5 the game looked substantially different (even up until midway into the 3rd).
It's been happening all year long, so it's nothing new. The problem, which is common to PK and end of games, is that NYI's D have not gotten enough help from the forwards, and it's not for lack of trying. JGP, Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Clutterbuck have been ... awful in roles they used to excel in. Time to turn that over.

Reactions: miscs75

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It's been happening all year long, so it's nothing new. The problem, which is common to PK and end of games, is that NYI's D have not gotten enough help from the forwards, and it's not for lack of trying. JGP, Lee, Nelson, Palmieri, Clutterbuck have been ... awful in roles they used to excel in. Time to turn that over.
Can we add Wahlstrom and Martin onto the list? One shouldn’t be on an NHL roster anymore and the others only recent highlight was a fight. Lou needs to purge all his pending UFAs and just bring up whoever’s in the system next year. Let Patty work with who they have and tweak from there. Fasching-Cizikas-Maclean is a fine 4th line. Holmstrom-Pageau-Lee/Engvall for the 3rd. Test out Iskhakov and/or Maggio in the top 6.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
There are 31 NHL teams that will have zero reservations about signing him. He's still got a lot of room to improve and mature physically.
I would not be surprised if he's not a ppg defender long term, and that might be a result of him becoming a bit more patient. I also expect better D, and leadership from him.

Nobody really complains that Pietrangelo scores 50 points instead of 80, because everyone can see he tilts the ice. Dobson is much more like Pietrangelo than he is the top scoring defenders.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If he’s a top 5-10 defenseman then he gets about 11.7% of the cap or about about $10.75m.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Can we add Wahlstrom and Martin onto the list? One shouldn’t be on an NHL roster anymore and the others only recent highlight was a fight. Lou needs to purge all his pending UFAs and just bring up whoever’s in the system next year. Let Patty work with who they have and tweak from there. Fasching-Cizikas-Maclean is a fine 4th line. Holmstrom-Pageau-Lee/Engvall for the 3rd. Test out Iskhakov and/or Maggio in the top 6.
NYI need to make acquisitions, because they simply do not have anyone in house to do what they need. The only prospect forward they have who I feel certain will have a NHL career is Danny Nelson. Their bottom 6 has to get more athletic, and acquisitions are the only way to do that quickly. They have to sell Nelson, dump either Palmieri or Pageau, and consider buying out Lee.

The only forwards NYI have who I'd like to stay on the bottom 6 next year are Holmstrom, and Cizikas. Nobody else fits anymore. Got no problem with Fasching as a 13th F.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
NYI need to make acquisitions, because they simply do not have anyone in house to do what they need. The only prospect forward they have who I feel certain will have a NHL career is Danny Nelson. Their bottom 6 has to get more athletic, and acquisitions are the only way to do that quickly. They have to sell Nelson, dump either Palmieri or Pageau, and consider buying out Lee.

The only forwards NYI have who I'd like to stay on the bottom 6 next year are Holmstrom, and Cizikas. Nobody else fits anymore. Got no problem with Fasching as a 13th F.
That’s really all I’d keep as a bottom 6 forward as well. The other 3 wingers currently playing there are toast and all we can use Pageau for at this point is faceoffs. It’s an easier fix than people think with the amount of bottom six forwards that wind up on the market. If anything, pick up a few guys to play wing on short term (one year or PTO) deals to just hold places for other guys to develop.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He doesn’t want to even recall that Dobson almost made the save of the game trying to recover on that play. He blocked the shot, it bounced off Sorokin and then fluttered in. Then again his only purpose in here was like the other special entitled ones, to crap on the Islanders.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

ALine

May 14, 2012
I heard that was actually Cal Clutterbuck. He’ll be available to play on a line with Ryan Reaves very soon. I’m thinking 3 years at $2m for Cal in The Six. He can even bring his buddy Matt Martin for a 2nd stint. Matt gets 4 years at $2.5m.
Chill out bro, Treliving might see this!

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'm not about to guess on what he will, but let's not act like there isn't evidence out there to show that it's as good a guess as any. Many Islander players took hometown discounts and every time they stated things like "love the guys in the room", "this is a special group", "we are family" blah blah. I'm not saying he's going to do it, but I also wouldn't question someone who chose that as their answer like it's some real far-fetched scenario.

As far as incentive, things like staying with a team you and area you like, giving the team a better chance to comprise a winning roster, etc. Who knows, but the incentive to take hometown deals exists all around the NHL. I don't get why people make contrary responses like this like they are better at predicting the future than others.

My response did not lean either way to whether he was or wasn't going to give a hometown discount. I was curious to see if there was actually any evidence of it or quotes from the player about it. Most players give the PC responses about how great the team is and how much they love it, but then go out and try to get as much money as they can, which they should.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Chill out bro, Treliving might see this!
You think he’d offer up a 2nd for Pageau? He’s a great bottom six guy and even a standout ping pong player. The Leafs can use a guy like him too. We’ll take Justin Pogge, goalie of the future in return.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Dobson's extension makes me nervous as he'll be one of the comparables that Rasmussen Andersson will use when he's eligible for an extension a year later.
Dobson is 3 years younger and playing like one of the top defenseman in the world this year. I don’t think you need to worry too much

ALine

May 14, 2012
Between 9.5 and 10.75. So you better be sure. Don’t want to have a Chabot contract because you projected his leap this year poorly,
Could very well be the opposite situation. Hindsight is everything here of course but an 8x8 off his elc instead of his bridge deal and the isle’s would be laughing right now.

Pros and cons of either a bridge or long term after their elc, and we might just be seeing one of those cons for a bridge in this situation. The ball is entirely in his court.

I could see 10+/8 but if Lou comes at him with a 9-10/8 I could see that deal getting done too.
Seems like a pretty good situation for him on Long Island.

ALine

May 14, 2012
You think he’d offer up a 2nd for Pageau? He’s a great bottom six guy and even a standout ping pong player. The Leafs can use a guy like him too. We’ll take Justin Pogge, goalie of the future in return.
You could have our next owned 2nd. The best part is you have 3 years to scout the next minor midget phenom.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Noah Dobson will be eligible to a contract extension on July 1st since he will be in the last year of his 3 years ( 4millions per) bridge deal he signed in 2022.

At 24, he is already arguably a top 5-10 D in the league.

Lou likes to sign his 4th liners to long deals... How much will Noah get?

My guess is he's in Dahlin territory, 10+ * 8 years.

What do you think?
my guess he only goes for 5

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You could have our next owned 2nd. The best part is you have 3 years to scout the next minor midget phenom.
I’m personally hoping James Hagens falls to the Islanders in 2025. Let the hockey world implode when an islanders fan growing up goes to the Islanders and they compare him to Mitchell Marner.

ALine

May 14, 2012
I’m personally hoping James Hagens falls to the Islanders in 2025. Let the hockey world implode when an islanders fan growing up goes to the Islanders and they compare him to Mitchell Marner.
Well Lou was a trusty tank commander for us so best of luck to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad