Value of: Dobson's 8 years extension this summer

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The way Panarin clowned him in the outdoor game i hope its 8 x 11.
That’s a hot take from a single, fairly meaningless, regular season game.

Here’s an even hotter take that covers more games and is more relevant for the playoffs.

IMG_2230.jpeg

On another note, how ironic is it that the majority of the posts so far are from Rangers and Leafs fans? Lurk much?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No doubt, risk is always there but defensemen do typically take more time to fully develop outside goaltenders.

Wouldn't be shortsighted to see him go for the full term but agents will try to maximize the biggest career returns possible as well.

Islanders have some of the best RD depth in the league.
As an outsider I cant see why a player would squeeze every last $ out of a team

As a fan of the leafs my teams core guys made this type of decision as rfas/ufa and they had a lot of vitrol and hatred + increased expectations that were super challenging to live up to

Taking 9.5 x 8 = 76M

Vs

Taking 11M x 8 = 88M

For 1.5M extra per year, your risking killing the good will of your teams fans, have raised expectations a tier above, have hurt your reputation slightly at best, and have likelu hurt your teams long-term window as ceiling for contract shifts based on your deal.

For your panthers, Tkachuk heing at 9.5M vs say 11.5M being an example. At 11.5M expectations are even higher, cao space lost hurts his chances to win a cup, and every poor stretch of subpar play is overanalyzed (see marner the first 35 games this year)

If I was a superstar player who was ablr and wanted to extend a L/T deal with my drafted/developed organization,

I would take ~85-90% of what I believe my value is to the team. If I am a 10M player I'd take 8.5 (reinhart for example) to be able to stay in an org I love playing for, for whos fans love me, and who can use the cap savings from my 10-15% discount + likely other core level players on my team to add a quality 5-6M supportinf core piece to help me win a cup

Dobson taking 9.5M x 8 would be perfect deal to set himself up for generational wealth, while giving back to his team and group. Increases his chances of contention into the future.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
As an outsider I cant see why a player would squeeze every last $ out of a team

As a fan of the leafs my teams core guys made this type of decision as rfas/ufa and they had a lot of vitrol and hatred + increased expectations that were super challenging to live up to

Taking 9.5 x 8 = 76M

Vs

Taking 11M x 8 = 88M

For 1.5M extra per year, your risking killing the good will of your teams fans, have raised expectations a tier above, have hurt your reputation slightly at best, and have likelu hurt your teams long-term window as ceiling for contract shifts based on your deal.

For your panthers, Tkachuk heing at 9.5M vs say 11.5M being an example. At 11.5M expectations are even higher, cao space lost hurts his chances to win a cup, and every poor stretch of subpar play is overanalyzed (see marner the first 35 games this year)

If I was a superstar player who was ablr and wanted to extend a L/T deal with my drafted/developed organization,

I would take ~85-90% of what I believe my value is to the team. If I am a 10M player I'd take 8.5 (reinhart for example) to be able to stay in an org I love playing for, for whos fans love me, and who can use the cap savings from my 10-15% discount + likely other core level players on my team to add a quality 5-6M supportinf core piece to help me win a cup

Dobson taking 9.5M x 8 would be perfect deal to set himself up for generational wealth, while giving back to his team and group. Increases his chances of contention into the future.
If someone waved 12 million in your face, you're not turning it down.

Taking a discount to help win a cup is the equivalent of betting the amount of the discount on your team winning. Would you bet 12 million that Lou can put together a cup winning team?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What incentive does he have to take a "hometown" discount? Has he come out and said anything to indicate he would?
I'm not about to guess on what he will, but let's not act like there isn't evidence out there to show that it's as good a guess as any. Many Islander players took hometown discounts and every time they stated things like "love the guys in the room", "this is a special group", "we are family" blah blah. I'm not saying he's going to do it, but I also wouldn't question someone who chose that as their answer like it's some real far-fetched scenario.

As far as incentive, things like staying with a team you and area you like, giving the team a better chance to comprise a winning roster, etc. Who knows, but the incentive to take hometown deals exists all around the NHL. I don't get why people make contrary responses like this like they are better at predicting the future than others.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Didn’t he grow up a TML fan? Pajama time!
I heard that was actually Cal Clutterbuck. He’ll be available to play on a line with Ryan Reaves very soon. I’m thinking 3 years at $2m for Cal in The Six. He can even bring his buddy Matt Martin for a 2nd stint. Matt gets 4 years at $2.5m.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Sens had Dobson they would sign him 18M a year. Look what they signed Jake Sanderson to and Dobson is a far better dman.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Between 9.5 and 10.75. So you better be sure. Don’t want to have a Chabot contract because you projected his leap this year poorly,

paragon

May 5, 2010
He'll take a hometown discount at 9.75 × 8 is my guess
They already cheaped out on him with the bridge deal after his 51 point year. Time for long discount deal was 2 years ago. Now it's time to pay the punishment for offering the bridge. That's just how it goes.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Like when McDavid clowned the whole NY team? I am not being a smart ass. Just showing it happens to the best players from time to time.
He doesn’t want to even recall that Dobson almost made the save of the game trying to recover on that play. He blocked the shot, it bounced off Sorokin and then fluttered in. Then again his only purpose in here was like the other special entitled ones, to crap on the Islanders.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's going to be in the 10-11M range, and that is assuming that he *wants* to be an Islander long term. I'm an Islander fan, and I'm old enough to remember days where we couldn't be so sanguine about that.

Romanov is also due an extension at the same time, and as they are partners, it will be interesting if both make long term commitments.

This is part of the reason I would like NYI to rebuild the F corps into a more even group ASAP.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He doesn’t want to even recall that Dobson almost made the save of the game trying to recover on that play. He blocked the shot, it bounced off Sorokin and then fluttered in. Then again his only purpose in here was like the other special entitled ones, to crap on the Islanders.
The occasional flub or miscalculation regarding players in closer quarters is simply part of being a defenseman who always has their head up to attack in transition. It happened to every defenseman who has ever played that way .... except Lidstrom who seemed to have otherworldly perceptual and cognitive skills so that he could look at the play & the puck simultaneously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad