Do you want Milan Lucic on the oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer was harping on it earlier in the day.

Of course, rumors coming out of NJ suggest that the devils were looking at RNH, not Hall, which makes more sense of course. Chia would have to be a moron to move a star winger for a defenseman of the caliber of Larsson; even with things added to the deal by NJ.

Were they rumours out of New Jersey? Or rumours from Matheson? I might have missed something.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I agree with you. Which is why you deal him first and then fill that position after the defense is fixed. Filling his position first when it's not vacant is ass backwards.

But how about if you don't get that player, then your without two players. Too much of a good thing is not a problem.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I'm starting to think maybe the plan is to keep Hall and move Nuge for help on D and move pouliot. Everyone keeps talking about trading Hall but we might see Nuge + Pouliot + Fayne + Yak out and bring in Lucic + Demers + top Dmen + third line center. We may have prospects and picks involved but getting rid of the players mentioned above sheds 16.125 mill.

Say we sign Lucic for around 5 million and Demers for around the same. That's 10 mill. We internally replace Yak with Puju at 3.8ish cap hit (925k salary) and say we pay around 2.5-3 mill for our third line center. We gain about 16.3-16.8 million with those additions.

Now the only real salary we are adding is for that top pairing dmen and if we go with what Stauffer said, we are adding under 5 mill. Depending on if Reinhart (3.25M cap hit) and Nurse (1.713M cap hit) start in the A, along with the Ference LTIR (3.25M cap hit), I think we will be in pretty decent shape cap wise. Next year, Hendo and Korps' salary come off the books too (4.35M cap hit).

Eventually another 6 million dollar player will have to likely be moved but even if we end up with Lucic and Demers, we have the cap space and assets IMO to land a top pairing dmen and fill the holes that are needed on this roster currently. Just depends on if Chia can get creative enough and make it happen.

Again, all this is just speculation and I'm just spitballing rough numbers here. This could easily mean nothing if we don't sign Lucic and Demers :laugh:. If any of my numbers are off, feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Yes I would like Milan Lucic. However i think the best forwards the Oilers have right now are Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall. I think Hall is a step above Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Leon Draisaitl, and Nail Yakupov. I'd rather see any of those guys traded before Hall. I would not trade Hall for Lucic, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
*if Demers and Lucic sign*

Lucic-McDavid-Maroon 10.775
Hall-Draisaitl-Pool Party 11.4?
Pouliot-RNH-Kassian 11.5
Korpi-Hendricks-Paka 5.075
Letestu/Lander 2.788

Klefbom-?? 4.167+??
Sekera-Demers 10.25
Nurse-Reinhart 4.926

Davidson1.425
Ference B/O 1.083

Talbot 4.167
Broissoit 0.75

=$68.306 Total = $4.694million cap space for a D

This is assuming we trade Eberle, Yakupov, Fayne and any draft pick before Hall. Obviously that's a lot of question marks and quick numbers that may or may not be right and still not enough moolah left over, but it's getting close. Also looks like our LW depth isn't all that great. A 6 million dollar 3rd line center is even less great.

Or we could just trade 3 consecutive firsts for Bo Callahan.

Avenger*

Interesting how you took an aside stated in brackets and used most of your rebuttal to focus on it. Seeing as this was far and away the most important item to you (as odd as that is) I have included a few tidbits below....

I focused primarily on the most ridiculous statement you made. I actually make a point of not using the word "fact" because 99% of the people on the internet type ******** for the sake of wasting time. If you came to the conclusion that my opinion is perceived that way, it's a personal issue and not something that I have ever stated or intended for.

What exactly is this based on?

I explained that quite clearly. Of course everything we are discussing when it comes to potential dealings are hypothetical but obviously having the small amount of cap room that would occur if Lucic was signed and none of the $6 million dollar players were able to be moved for value. It has become quite common in the league to see players essentially given away for cap relief.

Again...in your opinion. Where are the so called insiders supporting this statement written as fact?

You seem to fall back on accusing others of what clearly isn't true. I'm not sure if you have difficulties distinguishing between opinion and fact but again, I have never said that it was fact and when I have asked you to show me where I have said something was fact, you have failed to do so. Your agenda is flawed. Not sure if your heads been in the sand the last while but Stauffer has had 4-5 GM's/scouts on Oilers Now alone that have mentioned that the implications of the expansion draft are over dramatized. And no, I don't have the time to record every small audio snippet that may support an argument I have on the internet. There's podcasts online from last week before the draft if you want to look for them. As I said, I put more weight into insiders OPINIONS then I do your OPINION.

You framing my position that its the 'end of the world' if a player like Pouliot gets taken...of course it isnt but its still potentially impactful in terms of decision making. The point I am making here is that its an additional variable and not a meaningless minor inconvenience like you are framing it to be.

That statement was a generalization of the internet as a whole. The reason being that you took the defensive stating that I haven't considered any other variables when the entire forum doesn't consider any other variables. It was brought up to show your hypocrisy. I have actually provided reasoning for my opinion where as others have typed single sentence replies, yet you feel the need to criticize my stance? You might want to prioritize such motives a little better. Whether or not it's minor is a matter of opinion. You feel it's a bigger issue then I do. You also feel it's a bigger issue then several people that are actually involved in making decisions in the NHL do.

The unnecessary 'fanboy' insult you included aside....where have I specifically stated that any move is perfectly okay?

Again, a generalized statement. Not everything is about you. No move will ever be perfect and there are positives and negatives to any decision.

My position is as I have stated it which you seem to be glossing over repeatedly.
There is still much to consider before we can judge Chiarelli and lump him into the history that you seem to think is relevant despite the circumstances being entirely different.

I agree with you regarding Chiarelli. Obviously you haven't noticed but I'm one of the bigger advocates for it being far too early to place judgment on his work as a GM of the Oilers when bashed on the main boards. The point I'm making is that his signings should be prioritized by the needs of the team. Defense is the biggest glaring hole and should be filled first and the additional contracts determined by these moves. Signing Lucic first is the exact opposite as now the team has less options to fulfill a larger goal.

Case in point...IF the team signs Lucic (assuming they will...I wont even mention Demers at this point) they will have an unprecedented surplus of top 6 offensive players. Yes they are easier to obtain than top 4 dmen but they are still valuable especially when we are talking about cap friendly assets like Hall.

The team has never had an excess of assets (packaged or not) like they do now to parlay into players to fill in the holes on D.

Thats a major distinction that you continuously (and seemingly willfully) overlook.

Which brings me back to my statement comparing that to what the previous idiots running this franchise would do. A surplus of forwards isn't fixing the defense. It's easy to make the assumption that another forward or two will get dealt to solve that problem but it's also quite possible that it doesn't happen especially when it involves high dollar players and so many teams are cap strapped. I can use your same argument that you are "not considering other variables". Saying is easier then doing.

Maybe the team will be ****ed...maybe they wont. No point in getting heated up over things at this early stage.

How about we wait and find out what happens before we use a different Management teams history as an indicator of what is likely to happen.

And again, I agree with this but I'm not the one worrying about an expansion draft that's a year away. I want to improve the roster now even if that means we lose one of the aforementioned players. It's easier to acquire another Pouliot then it is a Demers.

Avenger*

But how about if you don't get that player, then your without two players. Too much of a good thing is not a problem.

Two sides to every coin. Too much cap hit prevents other holes from being filled.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
No, one of my most disliked players in the league. Seems like a dummy on the ice. He hits people in the balls - multiple times, lacks discipline, skates poorly. Oilers already have enough muscle to protect the talent.

Not to mention the off ice issues.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
We will be a lottery team again if we trade RNH and go into next season with MCD & Drai. If either of them go down we are a lock for last in the league. We finally have center depth and now everyone wants to purge it and go with essentially 2 rookie centers.

Sign Lucic and trade Poo, Ebs, Yak and a LHD.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No, one of my most disliked players in the league. Seems like a dummy on the ice. He hits people in the balls - multiple times, lacks discipline, skates poorly. Oilers already have enough muscle to protect the talent.

Not to mention the off ice issues.

No they don't, not at all, not in the least. I have no issue with people not wanting Lucic but thinkin this team, with no off season moves is any different than the one that has gotten run out of rinks like Dallas and ST louis for years is mind boggling.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We will be a lottery team again if we trade RNH and go into next season with MCD & Drai. If either of them go down we are a lock for last in the league. We finally have center depth and now everyone wants to purge it and go with essentially 2 rookie centers.

This would be a good scenario as well. Only a little over a year ago we had the worst center depth in the league, I also think Drai can be a perfectly acceptable winger if need be at times.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't think Lucic would succeed in the West but he was great for LA. I'm fine with him in the Oilers if the deal is around 5 million/season and he's 2nd on the LW depth chart behind Hall. His skill set is unique and is something the Oilers need.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

This can be said for pretty much any organization. You can't have three number one centers just in case someone gets injured while help on defence goes unaddressed.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
This can be said for pretty much any organization. You can't have three number one centers just in case someone gets injured while help on defence goes unaddressed.

You can if you have them filling other roles while everyone is healthy. McD and Drai as our #1/#2 centers, respectively, and have Nuge fill a winger spot and likely draw in on some 3rd line duty throughout a game.

You can't be so black and white as to immediately disregard a situation if there's no actual limitation stopping you. If we have the cap space, and are able to fill gaps without trading our centers, you find a way to make it work. If we trade Eberle ++ for a #2/3 dman, are you just going to ditch RNH because we have a plethora of top 6 centers?

Also: I'd say we're closer to having one #1 Center and two #2 centers than three #1 centers.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Don't know if you've all seen this.. but that's a pretty cool little expansion draft tool that helps give some perspective on what teams may be doing regarding who they will protect/not protect.

Of course a LOT will change over the next 12 months in terms of players on each team ... but my general take after looking through many of the teams is that the expansion draft won't be as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

It won't be.

There's only one team coming into the league with 30 teams to draw from. We're only going to lose one player. The last round of expansion was 4 teams in two years drawing from a smaller pool of teams. That was a much tougher hit.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I think people are delusional if they think Lucic is signing for less than $6 million per season and for at least 6 seasons. He might prefer to come her or Vancouver but there are other teams that will give him that kind of money, maybe more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bob has said it's not a done deal and Lucic is still meeting with other teams. Those reports from yesterday were premature.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You can if you have them filling other roles while everyone is healthy. McD and Drai as our #1/#2 centers, respectively, and have Nuge fill a winger spot and likely draw in on some 3rd line duty throughout a game.

You can't be so black and white as to immediately disregard a situation if there's no actual limitation stopping you. If we have the cap space, and are able to fill gaps without trading our centers, you find a way to make it work. If we trade Eberle ++ for a #2/3 dman, are you just going to ditch RNH because we have a plethora of top 6 centers?

Also: I'd say we're closer to having one #1 Center and two #2 centers than three #1 centers.

But Eberle ++ doesn't get a difference making D.

People must come to grips with the reality that if ur going to improve our D, ur probably saying goodbye to Hall or RNH.

And it's probably happening by this time next week. I know many grown men will be bawling, but that's just too bad, so sad.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I focused primarily on the most ridiculous statement you made. I actually make a point of not using the word "fact" because 99% of the people on the internet type ******** for the sake of wasting time. If you came to the conclusion that my opinion is perceived that way, it's a personal issue and not something that I have ever stated or intended for.

So essentially you are suggesting that when someone misinterprets your 'intention' and focused entirely on what you wrote then they must have a personal issue.

Alright then.

I explained that quite clearly. Of course everything we are discussing when it comes to potential dealings are hypothetical but obviously having the small amount of cap room that would occur if Lucic was signed and none of the $6 million dollar players were able to be moved for value. It has become quite common in the league to see players essentially given away for cap relief.

Of course but thats not the issue here. The issue as you have stated is the order of Chiarlellis transactions. You seem to think that he should address the dman situation first before he does anything else. My contention is that addressing the dman situation doesnt preclude him from making other transactions first. As long as the situation ultimately gets effectively resolved the order doesn't matter.

You seem to fall back on accusing others of what clearly isn't true. I'm not sure if you have difficulties distinguishing between opinion and fact but again, I have never said that it was fact and when I have asked you to show me where I have said something was fact, you have failed to do so. Your agenda is flawed. Not sure if your heads been in the sand the last while but Stauffer has had 4-5 GM's/scouts on Oilers Now alone that have mentioned that the implications of the expansion draft are over dramatized. And no, I don't have the time to record every small audio snippet that may support an argument I have on the internet. There's podcasts online from last week before the draft if you want to look for them. As I said, I put more weight into insiders OPINIONS then I do your OPINION.

I have no concerns what so ever if you value my opinion or not. Not sure why or how you think that this is even remotely what I am trying to convey here.
So your contention is that if something isnt addressed directly (or even referenced) on Stauffers show by 'experts' then it must be irrelevant. Alright then.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

That statement was a generalization of the internet as a whole. The reason being that you took the defensive stating that I haven't considered any other variables when the entire forum doesn't consider any other variables. It was brought up to show your hypocrisy. I have actually provided reasoning for my opinion where as others have typed single sentence replies, yet you feel the need to criticize my stance? You might want to prioritize such motives a little better. Whether or not it's minor is a matter of opinion. You feel it's a bigger issue then I do. You also feel it's a bigger issue then several people that are actually involved in making decisions in the NHL do.

Again...hyperbole is your fallback. No point in continuing on here either.

Again, a generalized statement. Not everything is about you. No move will ever be perfect and there are positives and negatives to any decision.

Interesting. You responded specifically to my post and in doing so you dont bother to delineate which references are directed specifically at me and then then you are apparently arrogant enough to suggest that not everything is about me? This speaks for itself.

Which brings me back to my statement comparing that to what the previous idiots running this franchise would do. A surplus of forwards isn't fixing the defense. It's easy to make the assumption that another forward or two will get dealt to solve that problem but it's also quite possible that it doesn't happen especially when it involves high dollar players and so many teams are cap strapped. I can use your same argument that you are "not considering other variables". Saying is easier then doing.

How am I not considering other variables? Have I dismissed something here?
Quite the opposite actually.

I agree with you regarding Chiarelli. Obviously you haven't noticed but I'm one of the bigger advocates for it being far too early to place judgment on his work as a GM of the Oilers when bashed on the main boards. The point I'm making is that his signings should be prioritized by the needs of the team. Defense is the biggest glaring hole and should be filled first and the additional contracts determined by these moves. Signing Lucic first is the exact opposite as now the team has less options to fulfill a larger goal.

And again, I agree with this but I'm not the one worrying about an expansion draft that's a year away. I want to improve the roster now even if that means we lose one of the aforementioned players. It's easier to acquire another Pouliot then it is a Demers.

Again...some of us are willing to wait until the dust has settled before we engage in an argument about the importance of the transaction order.

As for the expansion draft...it seems you are convinced that the expansion draft is irrelevant. So once again...I am not worried about the expansion draft as you stated.

My point which I have had to make multiple times is that it adds another variable and therefore isn't irrelevant. Its part of the equation. Then again perhaps i should wait until I hear it on Stauffers show before I have the nerve to raise the issue on the interwebs. I'll try to consider that moving forward.

In any event...I am moving on here.

This simply isn't worth the extra effort to engage with you on this topic at this time.

Carry on.

Avenger*

So essentially you are suggesting that when someone misinterprets your 'intention' and focused entirely on what you wrote then they must have a personal issue.

Alright then.

Of course but thats not the issue here. The issue as you have stated is the order of Chiarlellis transactions. You seem to think that he should address the dman situation first before he does anything else. My contention is that addressing the dman situation doesnt preclude him from making other transactions first. As long as the situation ultimately gets effectively resolved the order doesn't matter.

I have no concerns what so ever if you value my opinion or not. Not sure why or how you think that this is even remotely what I am trying to convey here.
So your contention is that if something isnt addressed directly (or even referenced) on Stauffers show by 'experts' then it must be irrelevant. Alright then.
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Again...hyperbole is your fallback. No point in continuing on here either.

Interesting. You responded specifically to my post and in doing so you dont bother to delineate which references are directed specifically at me and then then you are apparently arrogant enough to suggest that not everything is about me? This speaks for itself.

How am I not considering other variables? Have I dismissed something here?
Quite the opposite actually.

Again...some of us are willing to wait until the dust has settled before we engage in an argument about the importance of the transaction order.

As for the expansion draft...it seems you are convinced that the expansion draft is irrelevant. So once again...I am not worried about the expansion draft as you stated.

My point which I have had to make multiple times is that it adds another variable and therefore isn't irrelevant. Its part of the equation. Then again perhaps i should wait until I hear it on Stauffers show before I have the nerve to raise the issue on the interwebs. I'll try to consider that moving forward.

In any event...I am moving on here.

This simply isn't worth the extra effort to engage with you on this topic at this time.

Carry on.

After the event of the trade today it's even more apparent that this argument is trending in my favor.

The first trade of the off season involved filling one of the biggest holes on the backend. Who would have thought? At the same time Chairelli also cleared more cap space which I also noted as a valid concern. It's fair to say that the roster now has three legitimate d-men that would be protected at the expansion draft leaving the rest exposed. Funny that I also mentioned how over stated losing a single player would be...

Regarding your comment about putting more weight into guests on Stauffer's show, obviously they know more then you do. I will take the opinion of the experienced who are involved in the everyday operations of a team over a guy lurking on the internet every single time. Also, just to clarify things, this is not my only source of information but rather the most recent and easily accessible to those that would rather type nonsense on the internet rather then educate themselves. You asked for an example and I provided you with one. Discrediting the sources is your narrative.

I know it sucks to be wrong but if you are truly a standup guy admitting it would earn you a lot of e-cred here.

Something to consider.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If we traded Hall.. and Lucic isn't IN THE BAG...

Chia.. just get out of town.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Why wouldn't Chia wait till after he had Lucic to trade Hall?

Nothing is stopping Lucic from spearing us in the balls and going to Detroit.

Im kidding Lucic you will be loved here absolutely loved dont leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad