Speculation: Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Of our 3 most recent coaches , AV was the best one by far
I liked Quinn's systems best, but couldn't stand his player deployment and personality. Spring '20, pre-Covid, was the best the team looked as a whole in a long time.

Torts was, and always will be, a clown in my eyes.
AV was exactly the same as GG. Could be good coaches, haven't actually won anything, but are seen as good because their teams win in the regular season. Yet, they fall into predictable bad habits, fall in love with terrible players and play favorites, and limit themselves in the lineup moves they are willing to make for accountability.

The only "star" player GG is willing to demote is Kreider. Doesn't touch Panarin, Zibanejad, Trocheck, or Goodrow. Meanwhile, can't stop punishing the kids. Whenever they're losing, no matter what the line combos were or how successful they've been, he will invariably start changing them during the second period and the move is ALWAYS putting a grinder on so-called "scoring line" which never actually fixes what's wrong with the offense...in fact, it usually makes it worse.

That is 100% on the coach, and that he refuses to change things that are clearly not working like 10 and 16 on the same line speaks volumes about his stubornness. Look at the body of the game and stop hiding behind stupid mantras like "coach's decision."

For a coach to allow the players to run everything in the room with the "eh, who cares?" attitude GG shows is a joke, and reeks of laziness or "can't be bothered." Doesn't have to be overbearing, but needs to make clear he is in charge.

I mean, you don't see the good teams breaking up their top lines every 2nd period when they're losing. Crap, Colorado's losing guys (pretend they're healthy)...time to demote Rantanen to the third line and bring up Logan O'Connor! NOPE.

That said, there was a post by someone here once asking why fans had so much confidence in Drury, because "all he's done is steal money from this organization" which is something I'm inclined to agree with. Nice guy, but was extremely mediocre and overrated as a player, and I will forever be mad at him for the Buchnevich deal because that is EXACTLY the kind of player we could use right about now, who was young and homegrown.

Instead of moving Strome and not signing Nemeth (which would have saved a ton of cap space - more than trading Buch did), he traded Buch for probably the worst player I've seen on Ranger ice in my lifetime (Blais is a non-fighting Tanner Glass), and has consistently blocked Chytil - first with Strome and now with Trocheck, and it's been apparent for a while Chytil has more to give (also, spending a big chunk of last year buried may have had something to do with Chytil's offensive totals).

So I have zero confidence in Drury to do the right thing.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Agreed....but hockey knowledge nonetheless. I can't even begin to figure out what he was basing his basketball decisions on.

Dolan is a dopey rich kid who wont say no to the people he puts in charge of his team's because he trusts them inherently, and understands he doesn't know sports. As far as owners go, he is exactly what you want because he'll spare no expense to win. However, he has placed his trust in the wrong people at an insane rate. Clearly not a good judge of character

Reactions: FUZfan

Deleted member 23124

Still in 3rd place is a very difficult division. If they fall out of playoff contention my mind will change.

It isn't really so much as being a Gallant defender, its that you can't run an org by firing coaches in the 2nd year when you are in the position they are in right now. It would be bad at this time. And it may not even get to that point. One coach wins the damned cup a year.
I'm not worried about the regular season -- I have no doubt they'll be in the playoffs. The deciding factor will be their playoff performance.....

Clearly not a good judge of character
Shades of Isaiah Thomas!!!!!

Reactions: McRanger92

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I don't mind Dolan since he tends just to be a money guy, but his brain has been poisoned by Sather. He's always had liquid for brains, but somehow he has glommed onto Sather's ideas and philosophy. It seems like whoever he'd hire would basically be someone Sather vetted or who embraces the same style.

Stuck in the f***ing 80s.

Sather is in back of the line for the list of substances that have poisoned James Dolan's brain.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He had to be signed before going overseas to the worlds. HAD TO. Don't F it up Drury. He is a Jack Adams Finalist and makes it to the ECF. Not too shabby. He has us in decently safe position to return to the playoffs.

But he has to go.

You'll love the next guy.

Reactions: egelband

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I can see the sentiment of those that want him gone....and for those who are frustrated and microanalyze every second of every shift.

Aside from Q (who really shouldnt be considered based on past events - yes it matters), what new/better voice behind the bench will give you all what you want? Another retread in a "change of scenery" situation? Some new figure who has a plan that you have seen and feel like it would work here with this team? I'm curious to hear who these candidates would be and WHY they are/should be candidates.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
only if we could get Montgomery, which we can't. i think this coaching staff deserves more credit than they get around here. they obviously have their warts but it could be a lot worse.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I can see the sentiment of those that want him gone....and for those who are frustrated and microanalyze every second of every shift.

Aside from Q (who really shouldnt be considered based on past events - yes it matters), what new/better voice behind the bench will give you all what you want? Another retread in a "change of scenery" situation? Some new figure who has a plan that you have seen and feel like it would work here with this team? I'm curious to hear who these candidates would be and WHY they are/should be candidates.
Me

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Maybe we could try something different for once?

Let's completely overhaul our player development. Something we haven't done in . . . well . . . at least since Sather arrived.

This

Mostly joking about trying Gallant in the Hague.

In all seriousness, the problems are deeper than Gallant. We have a serious issue with player development here.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Changing the coach won't do a damn thing when the organizations philosophy of developing youth doesn't change.Prime Scotty Bowman could come here and not a single thing would change.The coach is only a small problem in the scale of things with this team and their mindsets on key things.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Attachments

• 26b349f0f51291cc.jpg
    26b349f0f51291cc.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 2

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
More than anything in the world.

Anyone who voted "no", you're on my list.
NOPE

Dolan is a dopey rich kid who wont say no to the people he puts in charge of his team's because he trusts them inherently, and understands he doesn't know sports. As far as owners go, he is exactly what you want because he'll spare no expense to win. However, he has placed his trust in the wrong people at an insane rate. Clearly not a good judge of character
Ever meet him in person? Let me just say imagine worse than expected.

Then make it worse than that.

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
How about we just finally change how the f*** we develop players? We've tried everything else even though I and others on here have been HOWLING about the player development issue for years, now. We are excellent at developing defenders and goaltenders.

We are horrific at developing impact forwards. We can develop two-way forwards all day, it feels like.

This has been a problem, now, since at least the early 00s. I actually think it goes back well before then, but you start getting hazy when you have truly different people in the upper management. Frankly, I place most of this at the feet of Sather. He's really the one constant with all of this and it is abundantly clear that his philosophy is something the organization has fully embraced from top to bottom.

He may only be an advisor, now, but I don't think anyone could convince me that Drury is not his disciple and that Dolan doesn't agree with his philosophy. The organization is broken.

And people on here just want a new coach. F***ing easy way out bullshit once again. But whatever.
Too bad there’s a hard cap, otherwise we could go back to trading away prospects and picks and then no one would be the wiser to how bad we are at developing players.
:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad