Speculation: Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

Do You Want Gerard Gallant Fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm very much on board with that.

Now get the rest of the fanbase to understand this.

Didnt we do that when we hird glass and ortmeyer. Also didnt we just overhaul scouting?

Im not being snarky. But I thought we genuinely were doing that the past 4-5 years.

You can hire new people all you want. If you hire people who have the same philosophy as what hasn't worked, you're not going to get very different results.

I don't care who the person we hired is if they aren't coming with a different perspective. Again, the constant, here, is Sather and the philosophy he brought to this team when he was hired. This team has never deviated from it.

By the way. Ortmeyer has been with the team for five and a half years, now, and I think that's MORE than enough time to know that nothing has changed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Didnt we do that when we hird glass and ortmeyer. Also didnt we just overhaul scouting?

Im not being snarky. But I thought we genuinely were doing that the past 4-5 years.
We really won't see scouting results for a few years, I believe Orts has been there for 5-6 years. Time to move on from him and Glass.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Deleted member 23124

Well his spending on the Rangers have definitely been better than the Knicks. So theres that at least.

I mean, we can definitely worse.

For all the shit i give for our coaches, we have still been one of the most successful teams since the the big lockout. Albeit without a cup. So we are spoiled to a point.

But we can definitely do better, and unfortunately we can do worse.

But yeah, f*** gallant.
Unlike the Knicks, his spending is based on decisions by people who actually know something about hockey -- granted we "fans" don't care for many of Sather's choices, at least the decisions are based on hockey knowledge.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Unlike the Knicks, his spending is based on decisions by people who actually know something about hockey -- granted we "fans" don't care for many of Sather's choices, at least the decisions are based on hockey knowledge.
Hockey knowledge from 50 years ago *

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Would I like a different coach? Yes. Do I want Gallant fired as of now? No. Not the time for it. Do it in the off-season, unless they go on a run.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Do i want him fired? No

Do i think they can upgrade? Yes

I dont think he has been that big of an issue since they got their game together in December. He will gain brownie points if puts Chytil with panarin.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How about we just finally change how the f*** we develop players? We've tried everything else even though I and others on here have been HOWLING about the player development issue for years, now. We are excellent at developing defenders and goaltenders.

We are horrific at developing impact forwards. We can develop two-way forwards all day, it feels like.

This has been a problem, now, since at least the early 00s. I actually think it goes back well before then, but you start getting hazy when you have truly different people in the upper management. Frankly, I place most of this at the feet of Sather. He's really the one constant with all of this and it is abundantly clear that his philosophy is something the organization has fully embraced from top to bottom.

He may only be an advisor, now, but I don't think anyone could convince me that Drury is not his disciple and that Dolan doesn't agree with his philosophy. The organization is broken.

And people on here just want a new coach. F***ing easy way out bullshit once again. But whatever.

Thats not going to happen when you commit to high priced talent. I'd love it if the organization stayed away from going after expensive UFA's until they have an actual core in place.

I said it way before it happened, Panarin was a really stupid idea. Not only was it a lock to be a net loss on ROI (and his decline has started even earlier than I thought it would) he was going to eat all of the minutes that could have gone towards a younger player. Gorton/JD couldn't keep it in their pants and needed to splurge on a big name when the rebuild was a little bit over a year old. This is not how you accelerate a rebuild, its how you destroy one. I hope everyone who pined for him is enjoyed his first season here, because thats the only year where he's going to end up living up to his annual salary (and its only going to get worse from here on out.)

Re-signing Kreider was bad from that stand point as well but as far as ROI goes, can't really complain there. He drives me nuts sometimes but with a 50+ goal season and another one that is likely going to be 30+ at 6.5, thats more than value (and if theres a guy with a significant deal they'd have no trouble moving, it'd be him.) Still, if your goal is to build a young core, he should have been moved.

Anyway, had they been patient with the process for another 2-3 years, they would have a better idea of what they have since those young players would be put in roles and get minutes that they'd need+ cap maneuverability+more assets to fill holes. For all the talk about how you don't "ruin" players by slotting them behind vets, those guys also aren't going to get better by NOT playing in key situations. Maybe nothing changes and some of the young guys aren't any better than they are right now, but at least you'd be able to say that after giving them the proper time to prove it. It's the reason why they haven't had any trouble developing defensemen, the coaches have actually played those guys.

On coaching: I think Gallant has been terrible this year and hes only made the issues worse, but most of the mistakes made by the organization were already done before he even got here. Panarin has his albatross buyout proof contract is a far bigger problem than Gallant.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think Quennville is the most likely scenario in the future. Gallant is staying through this season unless we collapse and don't make the playoffs. Then I imagine he will be here next as well, with playoff results dictating if he comes back for year 4.
Gallant is fine for now. Grass is always greener, etc.

Id fire Gallant yesterday for Coach Q. He's the type of respected winner who might be able to get this team to play to their ability on a consistent basis. I don't care about the off the ice stuff with him, sorry if that offends.

Yes, for Trotz. This team should be far more successful than it is right now. “But bbny, they are 3rd in the Metro”…don’t care. The fact that they are 3rd in the Metro is a testament to the talent on the roster and nothing else. They should be near the top of the league, but they don’t play the right way that leads to consistent winning hockey. That’s coaching.

With their talent level they should be first in the Metro

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
RonGores should be ashamed to have lost against bottom feeders Brewins. Gire Gallant!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
No. Gallant is a good coach. No need to rock the boat right now.

The problems with the youth stems further up, all the way to to the top. Part of that comes with the territory of being a NYC market team that needs* to charge crazy ticket prices to all events, catering to not just fans but the suits of the city as well. It's a bigger animal than most markets. Its very difficult for a big market team to go into full, true rebuild mode since they always needs stars to fill the seats.

With that said;

Gallant is coaching to win games and the kids development will fall by the wayside. I dont think its actually bad as some fans make it out to be. The young players have been given ample opportunity. Some other coaches may not have started the year with Laf and Kakko up in the lineup so high. Its also up to the player to push themselves up in the lineup. The PP1/2 issue, see above.

The kids question aside, would a different coach get more out of this group? Possibly. But you can't look at the Bruins and instantly say OH we need a coach and a system like that. Its more than just X's and O's (which isnt Gallants strong-suit, admittedly). Its also f***ing boring. Boston is a big team mostly filled with veterans who have a few cups under their belts. They arent filled with youth. It makes a difference. The Rangers need to learn from that and apply it to their game. There is still a lot of growth needed, not only with the young players but also the veterans on this team. Could a coach help in that regard? Sure. But what does that amount to? A handful more wins? Does it make that much of a difference? Its about the players in this league.

Not to mention they got a lot of experience in the playoffs last year (which may have been to their detriment roster-wise, but Ill never say 20+ games of PO experience is bad thing for all of the youth on this club) and that will bode well going forward. I feel this team is full of gamers, they rise to the occasion and we've seen it many a night. If this was a 7 game series against Boston I think youd see them fight back and win a game or two or more.

They have talent. Its up to the coach to squeeze as much of that out of his team as his can. He allows them to play. He's done a good job of that IMO and changing a coach for changes sake isnt going to really amount to much unless its the perfect coach, who to me, is not available right now. You also need some stability. Everyone wanted to run Quinn out of town, now Gallant two years later? Relax. Thats when things become even more disfunctional. They have a window here and the last thing you want is trying a whole new system on that takes 4 months to adjust to.

Last edited:

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Now get the rest of the fanbase to understand this.

You can hire new people all you want. If you hire people who have the same philosophy as what hasn't worked, you're not going to get very different results.

I don't care who the person we hired is if they aren't coming with a different perspective. Again, the constant, here, is Sather and the philosophy he brought to this team when he was hired. This team has never deviated from it.

By the way. Ortmeyer has been with the team for five and a half years, now, and I think that's MORE than enough time to know that nothing has changed.

We really won't see scouting results for a few years, I believe Orts has been there for 5-6 years. Time to move on from him and Glass.
Thank u both. Understand that a little clearer now. Didnt realize they were here that long.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
RonGores should be ashamed to have lost against bottom feeders Brewins. Gire Gallant!
Lazy straw men like this are completely unnecessary when this team has engineered enough regulation losses against actual bottom feeders this season to last a lifetime

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i second q as coach.

sather at this moment is 79 years old. it's time to look ahead. if whatever drury does the rest of the season translates to success then ok awesome.

should that not work out how about florida 2.0? a zito-q reunion?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I may be in the minority here, but I do believe this is exactly what Gorts and JD were going to do when they convinced The Dolt to commit to a rebuild.

Then why did they commit 20 million AAV to Panarin & Trouba? Those 2 bozos put us in this mess to begin with

Deleted member 23124

Then why did they commit 20 million AAV to Panarin & Trouba? Those 2 bozos put us in this mess to begin with
That's simple: Dolan. When has he ever been able to resist a new toy or shiny bauble?????? Even without Panny's expressed desire to come here, I have no doubt that Dolan would not be outbid -- he checked every box for him: an elite player who would draw fans and get us into the playoffs. If Panny doesn't sign here, I seriously doubt Trouba would be here.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Nah, he deserves minimum the rest of the season, and see how they do in the playoffs.

He’s gotten 30 of 40 points in the last 20 games to turn around the season after a disaster start.

Fine taking a hard look at it though if the playoffs look like shit, or they miss the playoffs.

Reactions: McRanger92

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Lazy straw men like this are completely unnecessary when this team has engineered enough regulation losses against actual bottom feeders this season to last a lifetime
Still in 3rd place is a very difficult division. If they fall out of playoff contention my mind will change.

It isn't really so much as being a Gallant defender, its that you can't run an org by firing coaches in the 2nd year when you are in the position they are in right now. It would be bad at this time. And it may not even get to that point. One coach wins the damned cup a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad