Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yeah I suspect that's the case too. So then isn't that a failing? Is that not a reason why we can't finish, and a reason why we might want a new GM?
It could be, and it could be that we are all just wrong and his process is incredibly intricate.

Bob has done an excellent job with the budget and keeping this team successful through the draft and mostly incredible RFA signings.

The biggest reason I wouldn't be for getting rid of him is that I don't know enough about the options available to replace him. Firing someone is only as effective as the people out there to take his place.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
We should keep Bob but have a co-GM with him. Have Bob in charge of RFA signings and internal management (which I assume GM's do?), then have someone else to handle UFA's and possibly trades. Bob has done well on some trades, but he seems hesitant to pull to trigger on some.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It could be, and it could be that we are all just wrong and his process is incredibly intricate.

Bob has done an excellent job with the budget and keeping this team successful through the draft and mostly incredible RFA signings.

The biggest reason I wouldn't be for getting rid of him is that I don't know enough about the options available to replace him. Firing someone is only as effective as the people out there to take his place.

he didn't hesitate to fire Bruce when there weren't any clear better options available.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Bob is a terrific GM. He has his strengths and weaknesses like everyone. The question is at what point does his time run out? Assuming Carlyle is gone, that's 3 coaches. One who was fired after a lot of success. Should he not be held to same standard where very good isn't enough?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bob is an excellent GM in terms of RFA signings and drafting (although that has a lot to do with Madden also). In terms of trading he’s a bit hit or miss, his asset management at times is poor and I can only think of a handful of higher end FA signings that worked out (Lydman and Koivu). He always talks about loading up on bullets to use in big acquisitions but always waits until our guys value has diminished before dealing them. He also is reactionary and often identifies a clear need, goes out and fills it and in the process creates a new need.

I think he’s a great builder but a poor finisher. The opposite of Burke. Unfortunately if he’s let go now we are a bit past the stage where someone can come in and put us over the top as our highest paid forwards will all be 33 to start next season. If we want to extend our window we would have to go out and get a Karlsson level player which I don’t see happening.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
I would like a new face/voice/idea behind the wheel. He seems ok with making the playoffs, and with the goalie we have, we usually will.

Definitely would like a new coach. Randy has coached his last NHL team IMO.

Why are we never in the running for big UFAs? Like LA always is, and we are in the same area geographically...

Sticky2

May 2, 2017
I would like a new face/voice/idea behind the wheel. He seems ok with making the playoffs, and with the goalie we have, we usually will.

Why are we never in the running for big UFAs? Like LA always is, and we are in the same area geographically...

Same. Bob did great. But all good things must end.

It's time for a new voice, new direction.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

What big UFA has LA ever signed? They're in the running more because they're in a bigger market but they never sign anyone meaningful either

Kings/Ducks/Sharks are at a huge disadvantage because of the tax situation. That's why I'm highly skeptical San Jose is going to land Tavares

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Anyway, BM's biggest problem is his fetish for high character, low skill guys. You can get away with having 1 or 2 on the roster but he has 7 guys on the team that fit that description.

I acknowledge all the good he's done but I would also like a new perspective at GM

Reactions: Duck Off

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
This may be a dumb question, but do we have any new blood in the front office? I mean, younger people who may have a fresher take on the way the game is played, people who can incorporate metrics and data analysis into the team’s decisions, etc. MLB teams have gone this direction for the last few years now. Not that these types of front office members should replace those currently with positions, but that the staff should be much larger than it has been in the past to account for the changing culture in the way teams are run. MLB teams have a ridiculous number of employees in different departments in their front office. I haven’t heard of the Ducks having anything beyond the standard group of assistant GM’s, pro scouts, etc.

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing Bob "promoted" to president and bringing in a new GM, like what the Flyers did with Holmgren when they poached Hextall from the Kings.. Just need to find a Hextall..

Reactions: Mallard

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
What big UFA has LA ever signed? They're in the running more because they're in a bigger market but they never sign anyone meaningful either

Kings/Ducks/Sharks are at a huge disadvantage because of the tax situation. That's why I'm highly skeptical San Jose is going to land Tavares
Good point about the taxes. I would have to factor that in if I were a player, and my earning period was so narrow like theirs is.

Both the Ducks down 3-0 and Kings getting swept have shown that success in the new NHL is having a fast team. Ducks need to change their team speed. I don't know if Carlyle and Murray are up to the challenge.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Good point about the taxes. I would have to factor that in if I were a player, and my earning period was so narrow like theirs is.

Both the Ducks down 3-0 and Kings getting swept have shown that success in the new NHL is having a fast team. Ducks need to change their team speed. I don't know if Carlyle and Murray are up to the challenge.

We’ve got speed on the backend. Up front it’s a problem because our 5 best forwards (Getz, Rakell, Kesler, Silfverberg and Perry) are all slow to maybe slightly above average in quickness and those coming through the pipeline with top 6 upside ( Kase, Terry, Steel) aren’t exactly burners either.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kase Terry Jones are pretty quick

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Murray is fine if he fires Carlyle. If not get him out asap.

Bob does need some help though. He's currently the GM of the Ducks, President of the Gulls and the EVP of the entire organization, all at the ripe old age of 63. And the worst part about this is that he's doing it without having an assistant GM around -- most teams employ at least 1, maybe even 2 assistant GMs.

Bob Ferguson (age 63) is listed as GM of the Gulls, but we all know that it's BM, who runs that show. IMO there's no reason why Bob should be involved in San Diego's day-to-day affairs in any capacity, you'd think that pulling double duty as EVP/GM in Anaheim would be enough...

I hope that Madden Jr. gets promoted to assistant GM ASAP, so that he can take some responsibilities from Bob, and also to start learning the GM duties -- Bob won't be around forever, he'll have to retire someday too. They should also hire a couple of good guys to run San Diego for them...

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bob is only worth keeping, after a Carlyle firing, if he has his own come to Jesus moment with the direction of the league and the team. If he pulls the GM equivalent of RC's "I've changed......NOT" speech then he absolutely needs to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Duck Knight

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I don't agree with this. BM Bieksa situation still pisses me off and we have no Theodore because of it.

Yeah Theodore would have fit in nicely in Fowler's absence. However, I think his success would be limited due to RC whereas Vegas seems to know how to use him well. I'm still very ticked we lost Theodore like that.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
We lost Theodore because he wasn't valued and wasn't in the team's plans.

BM signed Beauch to be the 3rd pairing LHD. He also gave his favorite son a ridiculous contract. Not to mention Pettersson and Larsson also in the system.

It just was poor asset management. Losing a valuable piece to unload Stoner's contract and/or not have to ask Bieksa to waive.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
How soon would a potential firing happen? A week? Two?

Edit: of RC

BB was fired two days after our season ended in 2016, but that was quite a bit different, that was decided in advance and they just waited for an acceptable amount of time to announce. RC was fired the first time pretty much because BB became available. So yeah, there's pretty much no track record to go off of. I think maybe you'd see more time to think it over, and pretty much no way it would be a conventional firing, but with three vacancies and potentially a couple more coming, I doubt they'd wait more than a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad